Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How do you get dirty old chain oil off the carpet?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a small black splodge of old black chain oil on my carpet, not sure if it’s come off a bike or my shoe, but I need to clean it off, please? 😳

ton

clean oil, something like olive oil or veg oil.
    then hot soapy water.

montylikesbeer

wd40, serious it works, then rucks of spoapy hot water

bigjim

I have lots to get off my carpet if I want any deposit back!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cheers chaps

Northwind

It’s like a yellow pages ad this. “It’s just possible you could save my life”

One of WD40’s main ingredients is stoddart solvent- basically, dry cleaning fluid. Course it also contains a load of light oil but you can sometimes exchange a black horrible oil stain for a light one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Buy a rug?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😀 Unfortunately I’ve got neither WD40 nor kitchen oil (just finished the ev olive oil on a salad).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Buy a rug?

Top step of me very steep stairs, I predict a visit to A&E.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got some dry cleaning fluid, could I use that then??

wwaswas

A loved ones favourite garment will attract any oil on the carpet if briefly rubbed across it

oxym0r0n

Chain degreaser then soak up with kitchen towel…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

white spirit. the end. at least, in this flat…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What? the end of the carpet or the black oily mark?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

A carpet mousse foam spray from pound shop always does it for me.

Much harder to remove coffee or red wine.

You can buy a very decent refurbished VAX cleaner vac for less than 100 notes on fleabay.

project
    Free Member

Have something delivered or invite some mormons around then accuse them of depositing oil on your carpet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

isn’t there something about using an absorbent material and an iron or is that for something else? Failing that, you could use a credit card.

djglover
    Free Member

fairy liquid has always worked for me. Even when I decided to take the little grub screw out of a romic shock that allowed blue oil to spert out of it as it it was an ahem.. you can imagine

MrKmkII
    Free Member

What? the end of the carpet or the black oily mark?

no! the carpet is still “beige with a pink hue” according to my better half. 😉

monkeyp

Use red wine

😉

hels
    Free Member

Motorbike brake and chain cleaning stuff. Sprays on nicely.

molgrips
    Free Member

I figured out how to do this when I was a kid – saved my neck many a time. Jab the straw from a can of WD40 into the pile, and pack some bog paper around the top. Squirt, and the WD40 goes into the carpet, dissolves the oil and the tissue paper soaks it up. Works a treat – you can then use soapy water or something simple to get rid of the WD40.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Baby wipes – Seriously they remove everything.

GT85 is also a good substitute for WD40

bensmoa
    Free Member

would suggest you to ask experts @ http://www.goldriverfloors.com/

DrP

A little tip for you all:
    It’s better to have a tiny mark of crayon on your carpet, that a huge ‘scab’ of melted wool the shape in the shape of an iron….
    Just FYI…

DrP

steviecapt
    Free Member

i clean carpets for aliving, be very careful of the chemical products you put on the spot, ive seen no end of times people putting vanish on a spot only to bleach their carpet,always try warm water and a small bit of fairy liquid first, not every carpet reacts well to chemical sprays, usually if your carpet was scotchguarded in the first place warm water will do the job

Fantombiker

Swarfega works amazingly well in this situation…..

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Wool doesn’t melt. HTH.

djglover
    Free Member

neat fairy liquid is ace. It removed the contents of my romic shock from a beige carpet

sugdenr
    Free Member

FFS guys, 11month old thread ressurected by someone registered today and recommending a flooring company in the US

MODS to the forum – Bensmoa a spammer or what?

somafunk

I took the easy option a few years ago when i dribbled fork oil on my biscuit coloured carpets in the living room and through the hallway as i absentmindedly wandered through the house with my forks upside down, i lifted the carpets and threw them in my neighbours skip, now got bare floorboards which are far easier to clean but admittingly a bit drafty and one of these days i might get round to sanding them down and filling in the cracks then varnishing, but then again i doubt it as i’ve far better things to do with my time and anyway…i’ve lived wi them like that for 4 yrs and if i do spill anything it’s no big deal.

Living the single dream since 2004 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

Do a search for Inhibasol solvent cleaner, it evaporates leaving no residue.

bigjim

GT85 is the bizness.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How do you get dirty old chain oil off the carpet?’ is closed to new replies.