Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How do you get a UST tyre on a TLR rim?
  • chubby_monk
    Free Member

Seriously.

I can change my Rocket Ron tyres without using levers, but after ripping the sidewall I bought a Nobbly Nic. It’s a UST tyre, but can I get the bugger over the rim? No, no I can’t.

Washing up liquid doesn’t work. Putting the tyre by a radiator doesn’t work. I’ve tried putting the rim of the tyre in the middle grove of the wheel to create slack (this has been difficult because the other edge of the tyre is obviously tight as well and it’s difficult to move out of the way).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Chubby

uplink
    Free Member

The latest Schwalbe tyres are stupidly tight on some rims particularly Stan’s

they will go on but it’s tough – TBH I wouldn’t want a tyre that I couldn’t change on the trail easily

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Didn’t know that about Schwalbe. After the RRs being as baggy as a baggy thing, I thought I’d be safe with Schwalbe!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

Starting the fitting procedure opposite the valve, and working your way towards it will create the most slack in the tyre bead, if you start at the valve then it’ll stop the bead dropping into the rim’s well, and restrict it.Give it a go and see how you get on, I haven’t got iron thumbs, but very rarely need to resort to tyre levers.

djc1245
    Free Member

UST tyres seem to go on UST rims quite easily. On normal rims set up tubeless they are a bitch…that’s what i’ve found out over the years

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Sod it. Non UST tyre to be ordered. This isn’t worth it

uplink
    Free Member

The Schwalbes aren’t UST though just tubeless ready.

djc1245
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rocket Ron and a Ralph with the UST logo on the sidewall

chubby_monk
    Free Member

UST logo on th NN too

chrisdb
    Free Member

Take them to your LBS and ask them how to change a tyre properly. Once you know the secret technique any tire is easy.

njee20
    Free Member

Some Bontrager rims, are insanely tight, far worse than Stan’s. As they coined the ‘tubeless ready’ thing that may be what the OP has? 2011 Schwalbe Evos are all tubeless ready and have a slightly tighter bead to aid inflating, the problem is with rims that are already tight! They can be very tight on Stans but will go!

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Good skills njee. I do indeed have Bonty rims.

njee20
    Free Member

I try 🙂

No one else markets their rims as TLR!

You could get rid of the black plastic rim strip and get yourself some Stan’s tape and valves – because the rims are a tight fit that will work, although you may find tyres that fitted before are a bit loose, you’d have to try. That saves a chunk of weight too.

daznal
    Free Member

You’r not trying to get a 26r tyre onto a 29r rim?Just checking

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do you get a UST tyre on a TLR rim?’ is closed to new replies.