Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How do you get 3 year old excited about new bike?
  • ibnchris

So, weird challenge…

My 3.5 year old has an Isla balance bike that he loves. But it’s time to give it back to my sister so her next child can use it and it’s time for him to try pedals.

I’ve bought him an Early Rider Belter for Christmas (spoilt little bugger) but I’ve been dropping hints about a new bike and he’s adamant he just wants his bike. Doesn’t want a new one…

Anyone else had this weird first world problem?

jam-bo

take the pedal/cranks off it and let him get used to it as a balance bike first.

isoo
    Free Member

We had some similar problems transitioning to pedalling. I started out with taking the pedals out and using the new bike as a balance bike for a while. One evening I was just told: “Let’s go practice pedalling!” I pushed the kid down a gentle slope and off they were.

crikey
    Free Member

You’re making him have something that he doesn’t want; why would you do that?

bruneep

Buy a new bike for yourself and let him see the excitement and anticipation in you.

ibnchris

I have to give his old bike back to my sister. And he ‘needs’ a bike. Good idea re the pedals. I think the problem is going to be the fact it isn’t the same one. He’s quite particular….

bsims
    Free Member

You could try not making a fuss. Hand the balance bike back to your sister and not mention it. When he says he wants to ride get the new bike out with or without cranks – whichever you think is best. He may just get on with it, if he doesn’t put the bike away and try again next time.

I have one very fussy son and a one who doesn’t seem fussed by this kind of thing.

johnnystorm

I had the same issue but in reverse. Mine couldn’t see the point in a balance bike but eventually thought the pedal bike was great. Tried forcing the issue and came to same conclusion as above “Why am I being a dick over this?” Wee nipper now happily pedals around without stabilisers so all’s good. Internet experts aren’t always right and your little un will eventually come round, or not and either way that’s fine.

crikey
    Free Member

When he wheels you into that old folks home, he’ll whisper “Remember that bike….?”

😉

nealglover
    Free Member

If you can, it might work better to keep both for a transition period. It certainly worked for us.
    He would pedal for a bit on the “big boy bike” and love it, but then went back to the balance bike for some “easy riding”

It was about a month of this before he stopped asking for his balance bike at all.

Don’t forget, with pedals there is a lot more to think about, and initially scooting around on the balance bike will feel like a more fun, easier alternative.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

“He’s quite particular…….”

Where on earth would he get that character trait from?

chiefgrooveguru

With both of mine they didn’t like the change, so they’d go back and forth between the balance bike (presumably because it was easier) and the pedal bike. They still protested a bit when the balance bike was taken away after not riding it for ages.

wukfit
    Free Member

Couldn’t you buy a new balance bike for your sisters child, then yours could keep theirs whilst they transition?

ibnchris

Think I’ll have to see if my sis can hold out for a bit longer and run them together . Wise words – thanks!

crazy-legs

My little nieces went through the same phase. Ride the pedal bike for a bit then revert to the balance bike and eventually, it was more pedal bike than balance bike.

They too had very particular tastes about colour but explaining to them that not everything can be in the colours of The Little Mermaid worked eventually.

senorj

What jam bo said and tell him he needs a bigger boys bike now….:-)

mindmap3
    Free Member

take the pedal/cranks off it and let him get used to it as a balance bike first.

This.

My little dude wasn’t sure about pedals so despite being a bit big for his Rothan. I took the pedals / cranks / BB off is Belter 16 so he was able to use it as a big balance bike. Seems to do the trick and in no time he was also by for his pedals to be put back on. I was suspicious, but he hoped on and pedalled off out of the garage.

robw1
    Free Member

take him into the bike shop and let him pick the bike. even if you already have it, try to go to the shop and test out bikes…..only test the one you already have though! maybe get him to choose a bell or something to bling it up. we did this with my daughter and let her choose the bike colour (As long as it was gender neutral colour so her little brother could have the bike after her!!)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just tell him he can’t have it and mustn’t touch it. Job done.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Get him the same balance bike as hes currently borrowing and don’t sweat it.

My middle one could ride a pedal bike from about 3, but just liked his balance bike more and stayed on that until his 4th birthday, then just decided to get on the 16″ wheeled frog we had and promptly rode up the garden with ease.

Kids are kids, let them do what they want when it comes to bikes, no point making them ride something they don’t want to, they’ll just not ride it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How do you get 3 year old excited about new bike?’ is closed to new replies.