Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How do you find out why someone became a Lord?
  • tyger
    Free Member

Just thinking why or how he came to be Lord Ahmed ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Google?

Lord Ahmed, 51, was born in Pakistan but has lived in Rotherham, in South Yorkshire, since his childhood.

He studied public administration at Sheffield Hallam University and joined the Labour Party at the age of 18.

Having distinguished himself as a proactive local councillor, he founded the British Muslim Councillors’ Forum in 1992 and became a Justice of the Peace in the same year.

He was appointed to the House of Lords in 1998 as Baron Ahmed of Rotherham after several years as chairman of the South Yorkshire Labour Party.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

You give money to the Labour party.Simple …Ask Lord Sainsbury

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The question would, of course be more fitting if asked about “Lord” Mandleson….

tang
    Free Member

or like my employer you inherit it.

tyger
    Free Member

Okay then CF go for it Mandleson?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I would keep out of this CFH, you’re on well dodgy ground. Unless of course, you want to discuss how the lords sitting on the Tory benches got there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, I agree Gus, many of them are there purely because of cash and that ain’t at all good. I would prefer hereditary, as at least they had enough money to make their own decisions! 😉 The whole system as it is remains a disgrace, Mandleson is just one of the more shining examples of that.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Flash, Mandleson was made a lord because Labour wanted to bring him into the government. In exactly the same way the Tories announced 10 days ago, that they would make David Freud a peer so that he could become a Conservative frontbencher.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed, Gus, but had Freud been bounced out of politics numerous times for more than his fair share of dodgy dealings? I think not.

hora
    Free Member

Gay AND Asian?

Cynical but Labour have ticked all the symbolic boxes with the voters to date havent they?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

No, Freud has never been elected to political office – as far as I know.

So how the **** could he be “bounced out of politics” ?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

hora, Mandleson isn’t asian.

andym
    Free Member

The question would, of course be more fitting if asked about “Lord” Mandleson…

Or one of his predecessors as Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, Lord Young (of Graffham fame)? Very good minister who did a lot of good. But nobody elected him to anything ever. All governments have used the House of Lords to bring non-MPs into government.

hora
    Free Member

grizzlygus – Member

hora, Mandleson isn’t asian.

Ahmed is both?

Mandleson ticks one of those boxes, well probably a few boxes in sordid little clubs.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Ahmed is both?

Well if you have personal information that Lord Ahmed is gay hora, I’m sure that his local mosque would be most interested.

Anyway, what’s your point ? That gays and Asians shouldn’t get peerages ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How do you find out why someone became a Lord?’ is closed to new replies.