Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • How do you feel about getting older ?
  • kcr
    Free Member

Robert Marchand set a new age category hour record of 26.925km at 102

He celebrated his 103rd birthday by climbing a 10km col, but he’s only planning to keep racing until he’s 105.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m bloody loving life now at 52, more than I have done and I’ve already had some bloody great experiences and as many very low periods. I imagine it as being like a sine wave with good ups and proportional downs.

Age and experience is enabling me to deal much more effectively with the downs, to the point where I’m now recognising some of the triggers and at all times endeavour to live with three words:

Mindfulness, acceptance and attitude.

Adopt any two and the third will follow – for me anyway.

Together with cumulative experience and wisdom ( by which I mean, applied knowledge ), I am able to lose my fears and have gained a strong faith – in everything.

Nowadays, I would be more than happy to live forever ( having spent far too many years wanting to be dead ), yet I now hold no fear of my own eventual death and as such, am trying to wring as much as I can out of each and every day, in terms of a healthy attitude and just being grateful for two working arms, legs, eyes, etc etc – bearing in mind that I can get it wrong as much as I can get it right, which is where my acceptance comes in. My mindfulness keeps those two at the forefront of my intent and actions.

One last word from me, to you, all of you: We make our own world. 8)

MoreCashThanDash

46 years old.

Back is dodgy, shortsightedness is gradually being replaced by longsightedness. Struggle to keep up with technology and an 8 year old and a 12 year old. And my parents are starting to make demands at the other end of the scale. And I have no job/career worth talking about.

But I’m riding (for me) faster and further than I ever had, and I’m using my experience to try and guide my kids away from some of the mistakes I made.

Life is still good though, way better than the alternative.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s all very well pointing out a few people that are in their 90’s or 100’s that are still enjoying an active and purposeful life but likelihood is that most everyone they knew in their youth will have died some time ago. These people are the exception and positive attitude aside they’ve made it to that age by sheer blind good fortune.

Solo
    Free Member

busydog – Member
    As Drac says ^^ better than the other option.

Err? no. That was a silly comment.

spursn17 – Member
    Every day/week/month that goes by has me thinking that I’m running out of time.
    This^Too much to do and so little time to do it. Don’t like getting slower as well.Somebody please stop time!

Not at all. I can still spin up to 40mph, on the bike. The only difference now with “then” is as a Man in his twenties, I’d have seen double after such an effort. Where as now, I know I’m more likely to see the Devil.

He’ll be waiting for me, holding an empty fire extinguisher with my name on it!

woody21
    Free Member

I’m 50 now – between my 40th and my 50th I had my own parking space at the hospital roughly every two years I was having an operation or being admitted because of an OTB incident.

In fairness I am probably fitter but recovery time is increasing especially from a night out with the boys

chiefgrooveguru

I just turned 37 – I got ID’d a few months ago. Mind you my knee has been hurting a bit recently…

jools182
    Free Member

It’s the health problems that are the worst part

I’ve had crappy health throughout my thirties and now into my forties

So, yes, I’m not a fan of ageing

P-Jay
    Free Member

I haven’t really got over reaching 30 yet, I’m 37 now.

I lie about my age all the time, my FB page actually gives my age as 34 – it’s not a vanity thing, I just don’t want to be old – I feel the same way about becoming 40 as I did about becoming 10 there’s something about the decade milestones that makes me think you have to completely change your feelings about everything every 10 years, when I became 10 I wasn’t ‘little’ anymore and I knew puberty and ‘girls’ would come next, 20 meant I wasn’t a ‘kid’ anymore and had to act like an adult, 30 was worse – sensible grownup, sounds fun doesn’t it?

40 is worse though, it’s ‘middle aged’ I hate middle aged people, they seem to give up joy and excitement in return for fear and loathing – **** that.

Ive come to realise that ‘middle aged’ isn’t a specific time, it’s a state of mind, and one I hope never to reach, I intent on being optimistic and happy for the rest of my life, however long that is – I’ll never sit cowering behind net curtains worrying about when my neighbours put it their bins or what my house is worth – **** that. I’ll just keep smiling and try to enjoy the little things.

Shhh (I’m actually 38, but my wife thinks I’m 37 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I love everything except burying my friends and family.

wilburt
    Free Member

Brilliant, had a bunch of kids, been around the world, had a career or two, made some people happy, pissed others off. Everything still works, body and brain still pretty good, i can do what I want for the next twenty years then decide how best to die.

maxtorque

I have a sneaking suspicion i’m a much nicer person now, aged 41, than i was aged 21………

DrT
    Free Member

Middle aged, plenty of worn out bits, carrying a degenerative illness, but never been more content. Life is great.

earl_brutus

Just hit 40 and feel no different at all to when i was 20. Fitness is good i can smash out 100 miles on the road bike without dieing, just bought a dh bike ready for a trip to fort william and still love doing new things. Career in a good place and can afford do pretty much whatever i want. No kids though and not been able to settle with one woman for too long bit i still think im 20 and theres plenty of time for all that!

piemonster

I have a sneaking suspicion i’m a much nicer person now, aged 41, than i was aged 21………

When I was 21 I was a complete arse, now I’m just an arse. At least I’m improving.

neilthewheel

Just turned 50 and actually feeling better about it all than I did 10 years ago!

Every day/week/month that goes by has me thinking that I’m running out of time

– but doesn’t that give you a sense of purpose?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

retired for the past 2 years and Im fitter and more skilled now than I was before. I cycle gym as much as I want. No aches or pains here thanks. Getting old also has some advantages, more time, wiser (maybe :-)) Learn to relax in to old age, dont fight it.

Play the cards your dealt. Dont sit there waiting for the ace 😉

garage-dweller

I feel like Joey in that episode of Friends where he turns 30.

Shakes fist at sky… We had a deal…

More seriously I am just under 40 and glad to be here still, in generally good health and with my family in the same state (certainly those less than 80 years old anyway).

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Shit happens, just get on with those things you are still able to do, so long as you keep to sensible expectations. I’ll miss the hill walking though. Sixty-five, and the pension seems enough.

ART

Good thread. Just turned 45 & like Stoner have been on STW since I was 26 ….oops!
    Grey hairs are increasing, I’m more tired, it’s harder to stay fit & recover from injury.

But I’ve have been riding consistently since my 20s & still loving it – so much so that I ditched ‘corporate’ life & now work in the bike industry too. I’m relaxed about the future, there’s lots still to do & places to explore. Apparently I don’t ‘look’ my age either… Er yeah!

fatmax

“All of our days are numbered, we cannot afford to be idle. To act on a bad idea is better than to not act at all”
    Nick Cave

ce9adp
    Free Member

I will be 35 in a few months. Lifestyle is probably different to most on here, being married, no children, but sometimes it feels like life is passing me by…

It feels like an age since I left university, and I will soon be 40… What have I done in this period?

I look forward to early retirement. Is this a good thing?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m 48.
    I have a degenerative condition (Charco-Marie-Tooth Syndrome) that is a form of muscular dystrophy, which ‘may’ mean I’m losing strength & motor control in my hands. I work a physical job so my hands/wrists/forearms/elbows are on fire most days.
    However, i’mm far fitter than I was 25yrs ago, can ride 200km audax’s without needing a week off work, my hair is still around & I’m still around 9 stone.
    My mate has just ridden P-B-P for his 50th birthday & its given me a target.
    I’m more chilled these days, although nowhere near zen-like – or is it that I just don’t care too much anymore?

badnewz
    Free Member

34 years here. I was a carefree student until I was 28 so still consider myself only a few years out of college 🙂

tenfoot

47 and never been fitter.

If I muse on getting old and ultimately dying, I go into a mild panic /depression so I try and fill my life with small targets to achieve and things to look forward to.

Losing a good friend in a motorbike accident at 22 definitely changed my outlook on life – carpe diem. (tbh, this probably drives my wife mad, as I hate just hanging around the house, or filling my weekends with mundanity, such as diy)

I also wish I could fill my days with things other than work.

footflaps

Apparently I don’t ‘look’ my age either… Er yeah!

I’ve looked 45 since I was 30, mainly due to having gone grey. I’m convinced it helped my career looking older than I was.

Nobby

Getting older certainly doesn’t mean you have to grow up. Soon to be 48 but enjoying life now more than at any time passed. Yeah health issues arise, injuries are a problem & constant aches & pains annoy me but it won’t stop me doing the things I like to do (even if it’s more slowly, painful etc).

Took 2 steps sideways & 1 backwards career-wise a decade ago & found my (hate to say it) work/life balance & it’s all been better since – both mentally & physically.

Never expected to reach 30 let alone 40 but now I’m looking forward to sticking 2 fingers up at 50 too. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

At 52 its not so great but could be worse. Fit enough and probably fitter than 10 years ago. Its the aches and pains that get me. Arthritis in the hands and moving to elbows. Cartilage in knees gone.
    Beard now comes half grey and just looks scruffy or ancient.
    Time goes faster, its nearly winter already and I have done sod all all summer.

ahwiles
    Free Member

crap, actually.

you know that feeling you get with an old car? – that you know it’s past fixing, and time to think about scrapping it?

‘yes, i could spend £200 on the exhaust, but i won’t bother as i’ll need that cash to pay for the tow-away…’

i can’t even put my socks on without assistance.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve just turned 33, I’m pretty fit and fairly strong through climbing, but the culmination of lots of serious leg injuries over the years means i struggle to walk in the morning when i get up. My backs going too
    I’m also beginning to thin out up top and go grey. I never thought it would bother me, but it really is

teasel
    Free Member

I never thought it would bother me, but it really is

I started balding at 28. I had pretty much zero self esteem then anyway and it really kicked me in the balls – probably about two years of self-loathing and fear… 🙂

But now, I hate it if my hair gets any longer than about 5mm; feels kind of unclean even after washing – greasy, if you like, and I have seriously dry skin.

Anyway, I digress. You’ll get used to it and wonder what you were worried about. Wear hats in the sun!

Edit : Grey is also cool. Beards are infinitely better with a streak of grey throughout.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

This is probably as good a place as any to ask this – are those ear and nose hair strimmers any good? Was thinking of getting one for a mate for his mid-forties birthday as a jokey gift, but if they’re any good I’ll get one for myself too.

Painey
    Free Member

Turned 40 a couple of months ago. Wasn’t looking forward to it at all but thought it was also time to have a medical with the doctors to see if my lifestyle was catching up on me after all these years (I’ve been known to enjoy a night out).

Turns out I’m in perfect health. I’m also still getting p.b’s on climbs on the bike so not slowing down on any of those and weirdly my eyesight is actually getting better (i wear contacts and the prescription is improving).

None of that is meant as a boast by the way. More a case of getting old doesn’t always mean a state of decline. I look about 50 ‘cos of grey hair mind you but physically and mentally all is well. Getting old is what you make of it anyway.

Marin
    Free Member

Ita all good. 45 this summer. Have to work at staying fit gone from long dreads to grey thinning short back and sides! Still travel and play out a lot. Recovery is longer but hey ho such is life. Just make youself have it!

teasel
    Free Member

are those ear and nose hair strimmers any good

I use one of these…

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2187457.htm

Seems to work for the ears and nose better than anything else I’ve used. Can’t beat a good plucking with tweezers, though…

strimmers

Heh

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Wear hats in the sun

(Calls the STW hat police)

‘Would you mind declaring yr hat style/s sir, we don’t require a warrant’

footflaps

A Panama obviously. Stored in the rear parcel shelf of a Rover 800.

bombjack
    Free Member

All this talk about universities and degrees made me realise that students starting uni next September wouldn’t have been alive when I first started uni back in 1998.
    This make me feel very, very old.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sums it up for me.

vintagewino
    Free Member

40, feel better than ever and enjoying this stage of my life. I became a dad at 30 and struggled with the responsibility but now my kids are full-on boys and some of my friends are having babies, I’m pretty glad I had my kids ‘young.’

The only thing I really notice is cultural reference points. We had an intern here last year, we got talking about music and she asked me what my best ever gig was. I said Rage Against the Machine at Brixton in September 1993. She said yeah, that’s when I was born.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘How do you feel about getting older ?’ is closed to new replies.