Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • How do you complain about offensive comedians?
  • pondo

He called someone Penfold?

Quick get me the PM on the phone.
    Yeah, jokes based on physical appearance, class – see “in the cold light of day I can accept that maybe I’m being a sensitive little petal about some of the material, but rape jokes?” that I posted above.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

was this in the north?

I hope this is a joke?

Just for balance – Was it in the South ?

Happy now?

chubstr
    Free Member

As someone who grew up in an area filled with bowling clubs and minors welfare clubs, you’d be guaranteed of a comedian like that at some point and they would be described as “a bit blue” – this guy sounds a bit the same

If you were given the impression that you were getting Dara Obrien or the like then you’ve got a complaint with the organisers, otherwise you might just have to put it down to bad luck.

Reading the jokes above, hitler/holocaust/rape jokes are a bit much, the rest, I’ve heard worse, a lot worse (taken to a Jim Davidson show aged 8 because my mum thought it would be like the telly programme, boy was she wrong)

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Was the comedian a son of a famous footballer as it sounds very much like an act I saw earlier this year?

IdleJon

Why the need to keep the main act’s name secret?

badnewz
    Free Member

Son of a famous footballer? Sounds a bit hardcore for Brooklyn Beckham.

pondo

If you were given the impression that you were getting Dara Obrien or the like then you’ve got a complaint with the organisers, otherwise you might just have to put it down to bad luck.

Ah ha, that’s the thing – no-one said a thing about any comedians, they just came as a dismal surprise.

Reading the jokes above, hitler/holocaust/rape jokes are a bit much, the rest, I’ve heard worse, a lot worse (taken to a Jim Davidson show aged 8 because my mum thought it would be like the telly programme, boy was she wrong)

That’s fair enoughski, in my naivety I just thought we’d moved on a bit from giving the crowd grief, in all fairness they were getting laughter so in a way you couldn’t really blame them.

Was the comedian a son of a famous footballer as it sounds very much like an act I saw earlier this year?

Not as far as I know, I’ll see if I can find out who they were.

Why the need to keep the main act’s name secret?

No-one’s asked who it was. 🙂 Not sure how much they had to do with the event, other than turning up and speaking – didn’t want to tar them with the same brush if it turned out they knew nothing about what the rest of the bill was like (which in all fairness I would imagine is unlikely).

pondo

Found one, Scouse chap called Frankie Allen. Just need to find the compère.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He called someone Penfold?

Quick get me the PM on the phone.

It’s DM. 😉

richmars

Sounds like you have reason to complain about the shortness of the main act. If the ‘comedians’ weren’t mentioned I’d expect to get (ex sportsman?) all evening, not some unpleasant, non funny comedians.

headfirst
    Free Member

Who was the bloke you went to see?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sounds like you have reason to complain about the shortness of the main act.

Well unless he was sitdown comedian and he couldn’t see him I don’t think that’ll work

mefty
    Free Member

Sounds like you have reason to complain about the shortness of the main act.

Oh so he was a jockey.

pondo

Who was the bloke you went to see?

Ricky Hatton, and he was sound as a pound. The blurb on the venue web said;
    “Held at Wolverhampton’s Civic Hall, Ricky will share his Career’s highs and lows, the former World Champion will take us through the magical moments of his career when he fought Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, his rise to fame that got him to the top of the world stage.. What a night this will be, Ricky’s reputation has followed him through his whole career and he still has one of the biggest fan bases around in English boxing.”
    That’s all there is – I haven’t cut anything out of that.

clairestephens
    Free Member

Seems the comedian was Jed Stone judging by a paper review…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flwg_tEHTRk[/video]

his “highlights” aren’t very good (or original) IMO..

konabunny
    Free Member

Crowd work is legitimate comedy but from what OP remembers it sounds like real old-fashioned dross.

pondo

It really was.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Fair play to you for staying, 2 mins of that video was enough for me. I don’t know about a refund, I think I’d be suing after being subjected to that.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

That’s just piss poor.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That Jed Stone is terrible.

Not really offensive, just tired and not very funny.

Not sure if he’s worse than that twunt Michael McIntyre though.

We need more of this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Went to a Frankie Boyle gig once. What a pile of complete shit that was. Base level gutter stuff all the way through.

konabunny
    Free Member

The “bus driver uncle passengers screaming” joke is an ancient Bob Monkouse gag (and he probably got it from somewhere else). The “tattooed on my forehead” joke is all over the Internet (with American brands).

I have to say I did like the hamster wheel joke at the beginning tho

giantalkali
    Free Member

I saw that comedian with the big face and nice suit, 2 hours of rape and incest jokes, I was with my parents. It was hilarious, laughter is a coping mechanism for when we feel uneasy. Still, i saw Mike Read at Reading festival years ago, he was shit and died on his feet, eventually he got his dong out before stomping off stage, wicked.

project
    Free Member

Ricky Hatton, and he was sound as a pound.

Ricky also did a tv documentry with Bernard Manning few years ago.Twas quite intresting.

pondo

Seems the comedian was Jed Stone judging by a paper review…

That’s the feller – even his highlight reel is dire. Was the review from NativeMonster.com? I like how he nicely skirted most of what actually happened on the night by recapping the chap’s career – hour long speech my arse, he just about snuck a toe over half an hour, on at 21:39 and off by 22:13 by my watch.

pondo

Ricky also did a tv documentry with Bernard Manning few years ago.Twas quite intresting.

Right up your street, I’ll bet. 😉

project
    Free Member

thing is bernard manning came over as a nice chap having a laugh always ready to help people.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Went to a Frankie Boyle gig once. What a pile of complete shit that was. Base level gutter stuff all the way through.

Presumably you had never heard of Frankie Boyle?

badnewz
    Free Member

Bernard Manning’s comic timing was the best I’ve seen next to Frank Skinner. But you knew the jokes were intended to be offensive in advance, so the issue seems to be lack of forewarning that you had a Manning-wannabee lined up for the evening.
    Jed Stone is simply trying too hard and I think I’d be embarrassed as to his timing more than the material itself.

badnewz
    Free Member

I saw that too. I remember one scene at the Embassy club, during the day and there was a young woman off her face at the bar on God-knows-what with what looked like a group of undesirables.

Manning described them all as “the salt of the earth”, without irony.

wrecker
    Free Member

Presumably you had never heard of Frankie Boyle?

The bit of a odd panel show, so not really. Friends wanted to go, so I went along. The warm up (Craig Campbell) was excellent though.

If I went to a comedy night (and I go to quite a few) and didn’t witness a bit of tongue in cheek homophobic, racist, misogynistic, a little bit rapey, or stereotypical jokes, I’d be disappointed. Lighten up, it’s supposed to be fun.

Get yourself to the Maxxis (autocorrect had that as Nazi’s) calendar thread to feel at home!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can’t say I recall having experienced “a little bit rapey” humour. Is it very amusing?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can someone please insert that male shower scene/movie image joke here for Ernie?

Closest to funny I seen boss

dhrider
    Free Member

If you are complaining I would say it would need to be about the length of time the main act was in the stage and that the comedians weren’t advertised.

I have seen alot of comedians from Peter Kay to Frankie Boyle who would be at complete opposite ends of the offensive spectrum and neither offended me so I am definitely not the person to judge if the stuff which was said at the gig you were at was offensive or not 🙂

Comedians gigs are generally pretty well scripted so I wouldn’t take anything personally. I was “picked on” by Frankie Boyle as I was in the front row….. watched the DVD a few months later and he said exactly the same thing as he said to me at the gig his DVD was filmed at.

Inbred456
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs[/video]

It’s OK to be offended!

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘How do you complain about offensive comedians?’ is closed to new replies.