Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How do you carry your bike?
  • sweepy
    Free Member

I realised long ago that if I only went places where I could ride everything (up and down) I’d miss out on some amazing rides.
    On my P7 when pushing wasn’t working out I’d put my head through the main triangle, BB behind my neck, seat tube and down tube resting on my shoulders, and that gave me loads of options for holding on with my hands.
    Well the triangle on the Fatty looks a bit snug for that, and other ideas?

jam-bo

Hold by crank and fork leg, downtube across shoulders

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nose of saddle goes on my shoulder . Hold the down tube just above bb.

mrhoppy

Depends on how far I’m going and what I’m carrying over. Big treks same as jam bo, shorter ones same as trail_rat.

user-removed
    Free Member

We all used to have foam pipe insulation taped on to our Muddy Fox Courier top tubes for this purpose 😀

matt_outandabout

Short carry = top tube across shoulders, hold seatpost in one hand and handlebar end with other.
    Long carry = top tube across rucsack top, held on by Velcro. Hands free if wanted, weight on rucsack.

carlos
    Free Member

Top tube across shoulders/back pack, hand on saddle/seat post and one holding the left hand grip

I’ve tried a couple of different ways, this is by far the comfiest for me and I do plenty of hike a bike in The Lakes

I guess it’s whatever is comfy for you

trail_rat
    Free Member

Should add I usually have full bike packing kit on if I’m carrying my bike
    …otherwise I ride somewhere ridable 🙂

fergal
    Free Member

Always top tube across shoulders on top of rucksack.

How does the bike upside down, with chainring near neck workout, have you tried this without getting covered in lube, spiked.

sweepy
    Free Member

It seems to work well for me, mind i’m not the most regular chain oiler 😳

I’ll try these ideas tomorrow, going to look like a right idiot going up and down the garden

Junkyard
    Free Member

varies usually end up holding a fork leg and a crank arm especially for the longer steeper sections when i wont be putting it down- try to rest it on the camelbak

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I remember in my youth reading about taping a length of old inner tube across the top tube / seat tube corner, for when you carry a bike. Maybe if was fashionable in CX then? I’ve never actually felt the need, yet.

Perhaps one of you may try it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

sweepy – Member
    I realised long ago that if I only went places where I could ride everything (up and down) I’d miss out on some amazing rides.

MTFU

jambalaya
    Free Member

It seems I am doing it right then 😉

Top tube across shoulders with camel back pack helping too (stopping it slipping down) usually holding a fork leg. Biggest issue I find is 510’s are rubbish for anything except good solod grippy trail, loose or even just very steep and they are rubbish. If I know I have to hike that I ride in approach shoes for the walking grip

sweepy
    Free Member

MTFU

I take your point, but If I get better there’s always a higher/further bike ride to try for. There was a pic of Terrahawk on here the other day- pushing and i’m led to believe he’s none too shabby.

Up here I wear innov8’s for most rides, dry quick and comfy for walking (and as we are establishing, I do a bit). I have some 5.10’s but with the spikes on the pedals on the new bike I daren’t use them. I’d never be able to get off.

Ambrose

Top tube resting on shoulders/ Camelback. left hand on seatpost, right hand on stem/ fork/ whatever.

As for footware, I have used Time pedals for a long time, coupled with Shimano trail shoes. Big cleats grip much better than flat soles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MTFU

I take my hat off if you can ride up some of the grades scrambles in the lakes that were access to some of the good stuff 😉
    Top tube across the shoulders, hold bar and saddle if required

ferrals
    Free Member

Surely cx style is easiest, top tube on shoulder, arm through, round front of head tube and hold onto bars, keeps bike snug to the front and stops stuff digging into back, allows other hand free to desperately flail around for holds as you slide back down

km79
    Free Member

If it’s a long hike a bike section I’ll take the wheels off and with velcro strapping attach frame and wheels to my pack to make a more compact load. Sometimes I’ll carry wheels in hands.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wot jam bo said.

qwerty
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

Nose of saddle goes on my shoulder .

Same here. If you’re shouldering you’re bike like that while climbing over a gate, and the gate turns out to be quite perilously shonky, for safety you can throw the bike into a nearby hedge. At this moment you can discover that the little camelback hose clips on the shoulder straps are a remarkably good fit for saddle rails.

sweepy
    Free Member

Those of you with the crossbar on your shoulders, is that with your head through the triangle?
    There’s not much room on the fatty.
    Funny crossbars too.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I take my hat off if you can ride up some of the grades scrambles in the lakes

Keep your hat firmly on Mike, I was being a lazy troll 😳

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How do you carry your bike?’ is closed to new replies.