• This topic has 53 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • How do they know what you want?
  • paul4stones

I know this has been talked about previously but how do the ads >> know what you’ve been googling?

Today I’m getting Inov8 mudroc ads – pretty specific and I was looking for them last night but I was looking on an iPad and here I am on a PC. How are they connected? And how does it differentiate between things I might buy and things I’m just interested in finding out about? And I’ve not had that T-shirt one for ages 🙁

wwaswas

your browsing history, the profile of the site and the content of the page are the main things.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

paul4stones

So if I’m browsing somewhere else but logged in to STW then it transfers to where-ever I happen to be?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It was all green fields and bra ads around here once. 🙁

wwaswas

do you have a google login that you use for mail/calendar or anything? It’s not stw controlling what you see, it’s google.

helsbels
    Free Member

Except my husband was using my pc last night – I can see lots on sports drinks I should add!

AlexSimon

It’s because Google supply the ads

maccruiskeen

Today I’m getting Inov8 mudroc ads – pretty specific and I was looking for them last night

Thats targeted advertising amplified by coincidence. If all the ads you saw were totally specific to you and your wants, right down to the make and model then that would be one thing, but thinking about something one day and seeing an ad (amongst a bunch of others) for it the next is more accident than design.

bencooper
    Free Member

But how did Google know I wanted a lightsaber? Even I didn’t know I wanted a lightsaber!

maccruiskeen

But how did Google know I wanted a lightsaber?

Its based on your browsing history, and your elevated midichlorian count. Mostly the latter

phil.w
    Free Member

but thinking about something one day and seeing an ad for it the next is more accident than design.

“Thinking” then yes it’s coincidence, Google haven’t managed mind reading yet. 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

My T-shirt girl has returned to me after ignoring me for a few days.

I’m happy again, and I’ve forgiven her…

AlexSimon

No, it’s not Maccruiskeen.
    It’s directly because Inov8 (or one of their resellers) has a google ad account and they pay specifically to serve that ad to people who have searched for “mudroc” or “Inov8” or somesuch.

matt_outandabout

But how did Google know I wanted a lightsaber?

The force is strong in this one.

binners

Can I please request that we all start referring to deadlydarcy by his proper title … either DD or bravissimo? And making frequent references to him. That way we can get some proper adverts back on this site

paul4stones

I do have gmail and a google calendar but I’m not logged in on the PC. How does STW tell google who I am?

Ah, just spotted the cat – thanks cap’n

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the modz blocked them binbins 😐

paul4stones

Can I please request that we all start referring to deadlydarcy by his proper title … either DD or bravissimo? And making frequent references to him. That way we can get some proper adverts back on this site

Wasn’t sure what you meant so I’ve just googled that. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Edit – Perhaps not)

wwaswas

How does STW tell google who I am?

By the Power of Greyskull!

STW don’t tell google who you are, your browser does.

paul4stones

STW don’t tell google who you are, your browser does.

Yes, I think I understand that but I’m on a different browser on a different machine that’s not logged into google and hasn’t been since I switched it on. How does it know?

klumpy
    Free Member

I peeked at a thread about someone’s bike making them want to pee, suddenly I got adverts for catheters!!

samuri
    Free Member

I’m enjoying the girl in a little dress and wellies at the moment. The promise of larger pictures from the website has not proved reliable however.

She would benefit from a lightsaber.

wwaswas

How does it know?

Cookies.

paul4stones

Health Insurance and Kindles 🙄

wwaswas

If there’s no targetted ads available they just serve up filler ones.

maccruiskeen

No, it’s not Maccruiskeen.
    It’s directly because Inov8 (or one of their resellers) has a google ad account and they pay specifically to serve that ad to people who have searched for “mudroc” or “Inov8” or somesuch.

But the OP is talking about actions on two different machines, so unless hes logged into google with the same ID on both then the seemingly specific ad being served to one machine following a search on another has more of an element of chance. His general browsing history on both machines will have identified him as someone who might buy fell running shoes but its chance that they served an ad with that shoe specifically, unless its a shoe that is being marketed particularly hard at the moment in which case anyone who likes fell running will be seeing ads for that shoe.

emsz
    Free Member

I get tees, garden tools ( bizarre)!! underwear, and loans. And diet scheme things

I haven’t looked for any of those things though!!

ads678

I’m getting ‘woman is 53 but looks 27’ & some steroid thing in really anooying moving ads, i have never looked at anything to do with those things. They are really starting to do my head in. someone will notice i’m not doing any work!!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

mark90
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at watches lately, so get lots of watch hut ads. Mostly the exact models I’ve been looking at or similar styles. Quite tartgeted profiling.

Not sure why I’m getting mature singles ads, no really I don’t know why!

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m getting adverts for the Samaritans, and a Scotrail advert with the tagline “A Better Way To Go”.

footflaps

If you run the Script Block plug in, you can stop all the ad sites harvesting data from you when you’re on other sites. There’s a plug in for Facebook that does the same. Then you still get Ads, but they know nothing about you……

paul4stones

Could it be Amazon? Logged into that on both and it’s actually an Amazon ad having looked again.

wwaswas

why are you so concerned? Somethign about your behaviour is causing these ads to appear, if you’ve never logged into google on one then it won’t be that. If you’ve previously logged in and not cleared cookies then it’ll still recognise you.

You can opt out of targeted ads on google or you can just clear your cookies and browsing history each time you shut the browser down or always browse in safe mode.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

But the OP is talking about actions on two different machines, so unless hes logged into google with the same ID on both then the seemingly specific ad being served to one machine following a search on another has more of an element of chance.

Could be done on IP address rather than specific machine. Big Brother could easily tie the two devices together as the same ‘person’ if you’d logged into Google etc. on both machines.

This is the whole reason websites now have to tell you they’re using cookies.

wwaswas

This is the whole reason websites now have to tell you they’re using cookies.

actually, they don’t.

The Information Commission has now taken the advice about cookies off their web site. Just bury somethign in the t’s and c’s about using cookies and you’re ok.

geoffj

*logs out to see what I get

mrlebowski
    Free Member

There are many very easy ways for companies & search engines to track you, Google for instance will track over 25% of the websites you visit..

Depending on your browser you can install various extensions to stop 3rd parties from doing this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘How do they know what you want?’ is closed to new replies.