Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How do they do it?
  • SaxonRider

Stay alive, that is.

Last night, when I was driving through the Leckwith area of Cardiff, I was awestruck by two young-ish men of a certain appearance, wearing dark tracksuits with their hoods up riding unlit, reflector-less bikes down a busy street, one of whom was doing so with no hands while talking on his (or somebody’s) mobile.

I genuinely don’t get it. Presumably, doing this sort of thing is not a one-off, yet I would be very afraid of doing the same thing even once.

Just the week before, I passed a bloke doing something similar, only he had his hands on the bars, and was slaloming down the road with cars both behind him and driving toward him.

Seriously, according to Darwinist principles, how do such people stay alive? 😕

mt
    Free Member

Face it you are getting old, it’s time for you to start reading the Daily M..l

ndthornton
    Free Member

Perhaps your assessment of Risk for this activity (riding without lights in normal cloths) is a bit over inflated.

you said it yourself “Presumably, doing this sort of thing is not a one-off”….and clearly they are indeed alive.

Time to Reassess

philwarren11
    Free Member

And you was more worried about their safety?

Probably on their way over to Penarth to get their christmas presents from someone else.

sharkattack

I would be very afraid of doing the same thing even once

Get some of this down ya…

how do such people stay alive?

Their wiry bodies just bounce off cars

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Eggs, all the way through the egg and ham block. You never get a bit that’s just white it always has yolk through it.

How do they do that?

edlong
    Free Member

men of a certain appearance

What the hell is that supposed to mean? That description covers literally half the people in the world.

SaxonRider

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I’m clearly trying to cover my own classism.

jekkyl

you receive super powers once you put a plazzy bag over your seat.

maccruiskeen

Seriously, according to Darwinist principles, how do such people stay alive?

counter intuitively i’d imagine drivers take more risks passing safety conscious cyclists. Wasn’t there a study that suggested cars pass closer to cyclists wearing helmets than ones that don’t for instance. I’d expect drivers are more cautious around riders who’s riding is unpredictable and careless.

edlong
    Free Member

counter intuitively i’d imagine drivers take more risks passing safety conscious cyclists. Wasn’t there a study that suggested cars pass closer to cyclists wearing helmets than ones that don’t for instance. I’d expect drivers are more cautious around riders who’s riding is unpredictable and careless.

There was and it’s a reasonable (i.e. logical) hypothesis. I think it does need to be borne in mind, because it gets mentioned so often, that there was, iirc, only the one study to date (Bristol rings a bell but I could be wrong) that found this correlation, so it is very much still a hypothesis rather than “it’s true, there’s evidence – science innit?”

(to be clear, not “only one study found this and all the other studies found something different” but “there’s only been one study done”)

rocketman
    Free Member

Fairly standard practice around Wolverhampton

Like last night the cyclist with a helmet but no lights turning right onto the pavement just before some traffic lights.

And the indivdual who’s started walking along an unlit lane every night wearing black clothes and a black beanie 😕

Bez

Ian Walker is your man.

http://www.drianwalker.com/overtaking/

sharkattack

I’d expect drivers are more cautious around riders who’s riding is unpredictable and careless

I’m going to take this logic and run with it.

The safest rider in NYC…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-xemZ9GAgo[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do they do it?’ is closed to new replies.