Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How do I train a trail dog?
  • thecolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve a border collie pup who I’d like to train up to be my trail partner. I don’t plan to do any ‘proper’ riding with him until he’s physically mature enough but I would like to get him trained to stay behind my back wheel so when we do get going there’s less likelihood of us colliding and him getting injured.

I’ve started taking my bike out on our walks and just riding (or pushing) at walking pace to get him used to being around a bike. However, the issue is that he want’s to squeeze past me to get ahead on the trail – this also happens when we’re walking or running on the trails. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could train him to be content staying behind my back wheel?

Cheers,

Colin

jam-bo

does he walk to heel? if he doesnt get that sorted and the bike is just a different thing to heel to.

theotherjonv

It’s his way of telling you you’re too slow.

sandwicheater

does he walk to heel? if he doesnt get that sorted and the bike is just a different thing to heel to.

Very much this.

wwaswas

Lots of treats and reinforcement of where you want the dog to be. Took a few rides with my dog (although I waited until he was 1 before I started any training for riding) – he happily trots along behind me now.

It can depend on how much of a chase instinct your dog has – problem with my dog is suppressing the chase thing when we meet riders when out walking but it works well when he’s out with me riding as he just follows the back wheel. Not sure collies have that so much – they’re more freelancers by nature?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

behind my back wheel so when we do get going there’s less likelihood of us colliding and him getting injured.

How about training him to be in front that way someone behind you doesn’t have to deal with the nuisance of your dog, you can see him and stop to clean up when he decides he needs the loo a rest etc.

Collies are herding dogs, they’re very intelligent but you’ll struggle to get the instinct to herd out of one that’s not very far removed from working stock. It will in all likelihood want to chase you more as it gets older, but this will be tempered with the need to get ahead, and generally be around you. I’d be very surprised if it will make a good follow dog like a gun or chase breed.

wwaswas

someone behind you doesn’t have to deal with the nuisance of your dog, you can see him and stop to clean up when he decides he needs the loo a rest etc.

My dog runs with his nose about 6″ off my back wheel regardless of the terrain, singletrack, jumps etc. I’ve got up to 30 and he’s stayed with me.

DezB
    Free Member

Trained mine (blimey 10 years ago now!) by taking her out with the lead. I’d do walk to heel-type training, but I’d be riding. Keep pulling her back, not to run behind me, but alongside. As others have said, lots of praise. I think she probably ran in front of the bike once, soon learned when the tyre hit her that alongside was best 🙂

Ah, wish I had another dog to train, she’s a bit too old now. Will run along with me, but gets knackered very quickly.

These were the days

Dog’s old, kid’s grown up, fields have been built on 😥

bearnecessities

Great video 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

you can see him and stop to clean up when he decides he needs the loo a rest etc.

Good point. You don’t want to have to keep looking over your shoulder!

Cheers bear, brings a tear to the old eye, that. Filmed with a hand held Ixus 🙂

thecolin
    Free Member

Thanks all for your suggestions. We’ll work on the general heal training and take it from there.

@dangeourbrain
    : Don’t worry I know his rhythms pretty well now. I’m pretty sure I’ll get all his poos safely into a bin.

@DezB
    : That’s a really lovely video.

moonsaballoon

mine likes to be ahead , which is as others have said definitely easier . When mine was a pup i use to ride around the garden just so she was use to seeing me on a bike .

bigyan
    Free Member

Get the dog trained to obey verbal commands, then bike training is easy. (also means you wont annoy other trail users)

I introduced the bike early so the dog go used to it, just ride around the garden, local park etc.

I prefer the dog behind on descents, means you cant land on it for jumps/drops, flat or up the dog can do what it wants.

bonni

If you are going on the fells, make sure its not interested in livestock.

5plusn8
    Free Member

That is an ace video. Have a tear from me too.

IHN

That child’s not wearing a helmet 😉

wwaswas

sound got out of sync with video but shows how close he tends to follow.

DezB
    Free Member

Sweet! Although … brief! 😀

willstaffs
    Free Member

Started mine with the bike around the garden then local fields and moved onto fire roads and canal paths. I then ran trails with him and taught him the command “go” so if he stop to sniff I shouted go and if he didn’t move he got a kick up the arse, he soon realised it was better to get running. He now knows the sound of my Hope hub so adjusts his speed accordingly to how loud the clicking is!

He cannot and will not stay behind me so I gave up trying to make him and encouraged him to go ahead, he can maintain 25mph for quite a long period so I very rarely catch him and when I do he cheats and takes shortcuts to ensure he stays ahead.

The only trouble with him is he overtakes other riders on the trail that we are catching so I have to ensure I catch them and overtake them and thank them.

Most importantly be patient and courteous, I won’t take him if the trails are going to be busy and the odd riders we meet I either ask to go in front if we meet at a trail head as he will only catch them or give them one hell of a head start!

jam-bo

my collie used to follow pretty close. would never go in front.

my mates lab is always trying to pass you and run through the inside of corners.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Speedy trail hound you say:

(First few minutes)

https://vimeo.com/user5690557/review/22994165/0be54fbf75

Tracey

Ours just tucks in to the left of the rear wheel on command of wheel which was just a progression from heel. Loves it when she comes out. Great feeling when we are out together

Its a horrible feeling when it goes wrong

And never wants to be left

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How do I train a trail dog?’ is closed to new replies.