Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How do I tell if my parents have a smart meter?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Numpty question I know but I haven’tgot one…..

Confusing conversation with my mum last night about an email they’ve had from EDF about registering their smart meter.

They are with EDF, but I wasn’t aware they had a smart meter, so I think there’s a misunderstanding somewhere.

My understanding is that if they have a smart meter they should have a device in the house somewhere showing them their usage? Pretty sure if they have one of those my mum would watch it more than the telly.

I’m going to go round later today to see if I can help him figure it out.

Have a feeling this might be the time to bring up POA again….

dannybgoode

They won’t necessarily have a device elsewhere. They may have one somewhere in a box and not set it up or just not have one at all.

You need to look at the meter itself…

avdave2

Ask it was is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

markspark
    Free Member

Have they had the meter swapped in the last 10 years or so? If not then it’s not going to be a smart meter

snaps
    Free Member

“an email they’ve had from EDF about registering their smart meter.”

Or registering FOR a new smart meter ?

bentandbroken

I can’t help, but I also cannot over stress getting a POA set up early as you cannot do it once it is too late

MoreCashThanDash

Or registering FOR a new smart meter ?

That might make sense actually

Yes, they got a PoA 10-12 years ago with a solicitor before they went online. Been trying to get them to update it now my lad is 18 so could act as well, in case anything happens to me. They’ve been “going to look into it” all year…..

CheesybeanZ

Just had ours fitted.

slowoldman

@avdave2 African or European?

dc1988

You’ll see some additional wires and aerial in the meter box, I had one fitted about a year ago but it couldn’t get signal so I technically have a smart meter fitted but I have no monitor thingy in the house and still have to provide meter readings.

avdave2

African or European?

I,I don’t know that

Cougar

Post a photo of the gas meter and I / someone will probably be able to tell you what it is. Typically, the smart bit of the electric meter talks to the gas meter and it’s the gas meter which talks to the outside world.

As a rule of thumb though, if you’ve got LEDs like in the photo above saying things like WAN then it’s a smart meter. If it’s a separate box then it’s the old SMETS1 and likely will need upgrading at some point, if it’s integrated into the meter then it’s SMETS2.

As far as I’m aware, anyway. I Am Not A Power Company.

MoreCashThanDash

So turns out they definitely have a smart meter. EDF have asked for some manual readings for some reason and it all got way more complicated than it needed to be.

Cougar

If it’s SMETS1 and was installed by a different supplier then it’s highly unlikely to work without an upgrade.

oikeith

If it’s SMETS1 and was installed by a different supplier then it’s highly unlikely to work without an upgrade.

SMETS1 meters are being enrolled into the DCC, this will then allow the customer to change suppliers without losing smart functionality.

Cougar

My understanding – and I may well be wrong – was that it was meter-dependent and not all SMETS1 meters could be converted.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Slight hijack – this is below our consumer unit.

The owners of the house didnt tell us anything about it when we moved in 2.5 yrs ago, and no other box in the house telling us how much electricity we are using.

We also submit manual readings. SO what is it?

Thanks

Edit: Ok just done my own googling and found it is smart. However we definitely have no in home display, how do we go about getting one of these? And why isnt it working smart?

Mobile reception is non existent where we live if that makes any difference?

Olly
    Free Member

google says AM110R is a Smart meter connectivity standard, It also says GSM/GPRS on it.
    so my bet isthat is a smart meter.

tjmoore

In home display is just a gimmick. It’s used to sell the idea that you’ll monitor your usage and turn things off to save energy and claim that’s why we all need smart meters.

There’s nothing really smart about the meters anyway, they just send readings via a signal to avoid the energy company having to send someone out, and if that works the data is more granular on usage at times of day.

My parents got one but didn’t get the in hone display, I think their choice. It’s never sent the readings as I suspect the signal is no good. Then they switched suppliers and now it definitely doesn’t work as think it’s a SMETS1. So they just send the readings regularly.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How do I tell if my parents have a smart meter?’ is closed to new replies.