Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How do I stop my goggles from steaming up?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I ride with goggles when its wet as I'm not keen on glasses. The problem is they keep steaming up. They are ok when just riding along and DH but when I get to a slow climb they steam up and don't clear.

I have tried neat fairy liquid but that doesn't seem to have done the job, they are better but still steamy. What else can I try that doesn't involve me buying some vented lenses.

Wally

toothpaste rubbed in and then washed off?
    Bob jacksons motorbike visor demistor is also worth a look, but needs applying each time.
    potato smeared on is worth a go
    Candle wax rubbed on and buffed out is also good.

I might have had the same issue.

tinsy
    Free Member

I rode MX for years, when its cold and damp, but your hot and sweaty only going along fast keeps them clear, obviously bob heath visor clear is a big help, and the wipes you get from ski shops are really really good (try them first in fact), failing that, you gould drill some vent holes in your lens's yourself, if you got an old lens to try it on first might be a good idea.

Dont wear the goggle when you drill the holes. 😉

mollyiom
    Free Member

Depending what goggles you have you can get a liner for the lens, forget what ther called but but it is basically like double glazing and it works. try a motocross shop.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Toothpaste really. Any particular sort?

I take it its advisable to remove the lens before doing this.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the toothpaste is more when you first get them to get rid of the coating that's left on the lens after manufacture.

tinsy
    Free Member

mollyiom… yeah good call, all ski goggles are double glazed and they are way way better than MX goggles for not misting, maybe spalsh out on a pair of those while your getting the anti mist wipes..

Never heard of using toothpaste, isnt it a bit too abrasive?

LongboardSi
    Free Member

try shaving gel…

TooTall
    Free Member

What don't you like about glasses for riding?

You could always take the goggles off for the climb – or don't I understand the radness of this?

I_Ache
    Free Member

My old goggles had a double lens with vents in the top. But they got really scratched and it was cheaper to get new goggles than lenses. They worked really well but I dont want to have to resort to them because that would make me feel like a cheap git and having a money saving fail.

These are what I had.

I_Ache
    Free Member

TooTall its not about being rad infact if you met me you would know I am far from rad.

I wear contact lenses and when wearing glasses I always find I somehow manage to get grit or mud in my eye. Goggles prevent any ingress of dirt and this helps me enjoy my riding more. Until I cant see where Im going and hit a tree that is.

I suppose I could take the goggles off for a climb and put them back on again but that would break up the ride and piss off my riding buddies.

TooTall
    Free Member

Just curious as I also wear contacts for most of my riding. I've never had any more bother with crud in my eyes riding than in everyday life. I'm surprised you've not found an acceptable pair of glasses for riding in to help with that. I currently have a couple of pairs of Bolle safety glasses I use that barely steam up and their design has never let anything get into my eyes.

have a look:

Bolle safety

loughor
    Free Member

I use stuff which is specifically for scuba-diving, forget the name, but comes in a small tube and is inexpensive. Seems to work for me.

Pigface
    Free Member

Scott and Oakley do an enduro goggle which is double glazed, always worked well for me.

gazc
    Free Member

washing up liquid applied as a thin film to inside of the lens with a clean cloth used to work as well

singlespeedstu

Goggles aren't designed for going as slow as you do when climbing on an MTB.
    These helped massivley when I was doing enduros. Smith Turbo

IA

I'd say better fitting riding glasses. Good ones keep most crap out.

If you must wear googles, surely you don't need to stop to take them on/off for climbs? It's not hard to do one handed!

But the only way to stop them steaming up is to stop them getting damp. If they're dry they won't steam up. problem is if you get at all sweaty they'll get damp, and steam up. Then your only option is going fast enough for them to stay clear.

But really, better glasses.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bob heath visor spray works

epicyclo

Do you have mudguards? Best way of keeping crap out of my eyes.

tracknicko
    Free Member

do you wear goggles with a normal helmet? that is the raddest look of all time!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How do I stop my goggles from steaming up?’ is closed to new replies.