How do I shim a loose crown race

• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by  smiffy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do I shim a loose crown race
  • eulach

I’ve got an old BMX fork (1″) and a new crown race (26.4) which is loose. After cleaning up the fork and original crown race, this also has play in it. So I need to some how make up the difference. But how do I do this? Any advice welcome.

plus one

Using a punch around bottom of steerer to create small raised nicks can work.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

I might try a bit of stud and bearing fit depending on how loose you are talking about

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber
    jkomo

Glue or epoxy resin?
    Or cut and squish it in a bit.

otsdr

Cut it.

Unless it’s actually a race for balls & stuff, but in that case it will also put up a fair fight.

qwerty

Loctite retaining compound, there’s a few, maybe 660.

eulach

It’s old school and the bearings and races are separate so I don’t think cutting it will work. What would happen if I melted som electrical solder between fork an race?

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

See if you can find a bike shop that has one of these:

Knurling Tool

ctk

Coke can shim worth trying before using solder.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

I’ve done it before (the proper way).

Build up the diameter with brass (brazing rod and gas torch). Then find someone with a decent size lathe. Hold steerer in the chuck and recut the seat. Silver solder would also work but runnier so harder to build up (and more expensive). I wouldn’t bother with soft solder.

Loctite bearing retainer isn’t going to fix it a 1mm diameter difference.

smiffy

Just a thought, have you built it up and checked that there’s a problem when it’s pre-loaded? That play in the fork and original crown race might have always been there and nobody ever noticed until it was disassembled? Punch is a good shout otherwise but if used in anger the dimples might get hammered out in time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.