Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do i route my brake through my frame?
  • Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

Its an Avid Code, about a year old. I want to route the rear brake through the frame. Ive never bled a brake before but ive decided i may as well learn. Can someone advise me what parts i need to to this? I guess a few videos on the process would be helpful also.

Thanks in advance.

Premier Icon jam-bo

magic and swearing.

Premier Icon weeksy

Lol mostly that yeah. Mayagi do may be able to help you

Premier Icon DezB

Depends if the frame as oles in the right places dunnit?

And Avid brakes need a bleed kit. Costs about £30 I believe.

Premier Icon ads678
    Free Member

Bleed kit from Epic Bleed Solutions, might need a new olive but might be able to reuse the old one…

Bleeding brakes is not hard, you just have to follow the instruction, have patience and take your time.

Routing through some frames on the other hand can be a right pain in the arse…

Premier Icon timbog160

Need more info OP – are you saying your frame has internal routing but you don’t know how to get the hose through? With most sram brakes it is easier to take the lever end off and push it through from the hole at the BB. If you are changing brakes Sram do a double ended barb which can make life a lot easier, as you can use your existing hose to pull the new one through. Loads of YouTube vids on internal routing tips.

Bleeding generally involves – remove wheel and pads. Push pistons back and install bleed block to hold them back. Part fill one syringe, push the air out and connect to the lever. Part fill another, push the air out and connect to the caliper. Push one syringe and pull the other. Keep going back and forth til no more air comes out. Remove syringes and reinstall caps. Reinstall wheel and pads and enjoy.

Use a good quality bleed kit. You may need special fittings for more recent sram brake designs. Wear gloves. Use fresh fluid. Have plenty of rags/ workshop towels to hand. Avoid getting fluid on paintwork, discs or pads.

Premier Icon snotrag

Always route a gear inner cable first

A) you will have some lying around
    B) they are just the right balance of stiffness/flexibility for pushing through frames
    C) You can put a little bend in the end if needed that helps you to grab it at the far end when it pokes out
    D) brake hose or gear outer slides right over it.

Honestly, I’ve done a number of internally routed frames over the years, using sacrificial gear inners its really not hard. Then you just slide the brake hose or gear outer over it.

Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I already have a section of outer cable going through the frame, i was intending to use this to pull the hose through. My question is more regarding the detachment and refitting and bleeding of the hose to the calliper or lever as i have none of the equipment or expertise.

Premier Icon baddddad
    Free Member

Try these two

Premier Icon timbog160

Ah that’s helpful. Generally easier to remove the lever end of the hose and pull through from back to front, the reason being that the banjo union to the caliper is often not removable from the hose. You may also need to clip the end of the hose to remove the olive and the bolt that screws into the lever – otherwise the hose won’t fit through the frame. The SRAM connectamajigs are very easy to use when you come to reinstall the hose. Unscrew the hose from the lever, pull through and reconnect is your first job – if you’re careful you can do this without introducing too much air into the system/ losing too much fluid. You will probably find the bleed goes fairly quickly as only the lever will need bleeding. If you’re really lucky you will get all the air out by attaching a syringe at the lever end and pumping the lever a few times. For best results you should still remove pads and use a bleed block though.

The SRAM videos are very good for guiding you through the process. As above buy a good quality kit, a litre of brake fluid from Halfords, and some gloves and cloths. Take your time and you’ll be fine.

Premier Icon timbog160

Oh based on the age of your brakes you will probably need the bleeding edge adaptor too. If all this sounds a bit faffy bear in mind the kit never really wears out, and brakes do need bleeding naturally from time to time.

Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

Great, seems easy enough – thanks for your help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.