How do I replace my outer shock mounting bushes alloy spacers without paying £20

Home Forum Bike Forum How do I replace my outer shock mounting bushes alloy spacers without paying £20

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How do I replace my outer shock mounting bushes alloy spacers without paying £20
  • kaesae

Recently I had a rider asking me if I knew of a way to replace the alloy spacers that keep reinforced shock bushes centred. So I’ve decided to do this thread and give some advice.
    If you have reinforced steel outer bushes with alloy spacers on either side to keep them centred try putting some plumbers Teflon tape on them to keep the outer bush in place it will also help water proof them.
    If you lose the alloy spacer and don’t want to pay £20 for a new set of bushes or risk your shock moving over to one side and damaging your frame or shock. Just use some O rings to hold the shock where you want it. Remember the same amount of O rings on either side. Not a perfect solution but it will keep you going until you can sort something else out and if you want run it like that.

snaps

Are you serious? 😯

I always wondered how to waterproof my bushings, problem solved 🙄

kaesae

Hi, can you supply the shock mount kit for a 2006 heckler fitted with a 5th element coil shock 22x8mm?

The parts I need are the 2 round aluminium bits that pop onto the stainless through bar at either end of the shock.
    If so how much including postage?.

kaesae

Anyone else need any advice ?.

kaesae

Yes A lot of people lose those spacers and it's not completely safe to ride without them. What do you suggest they do ?.

druidh

Wow. That's gotta make the frame perform better than it did originally. You should do this professionally. I bet you could encourage a lot of poorer cyclists to keep riding their bikes that way.

kaesae

Tell you what’ all of you who think they know enough about bikes to criticize me. How about you ask me a question about bikes and then I ask you one. That way we can see who knows what’s what about servicing bikes and bikes in general.

snaps

OHH ark at 'er ❗

I found I was able to make my own O rings by cutting down some bigger ones and gluing the ends with superglue 🙂 You just have to be careful to get the ends lined up properly as they bond as soon as they touch. Mind you, I never saw any evidence that they made any difference to the rate of wear of the bushes. I solved the problem by going back to a hardtail!

Smee

Surely cable ties, jubilee clips, spring washers etc would all be a bit more secure.

Whats the biggest cassette range i can get in a campag road block?

mudpup

I think someone just fell out of the MBUK forum

Regarding the question:-
    Why are red bikes faster?

tazzymtb

How do you service a 6 pawl cam actuated engagement system and do i need to replace the secondary ratchet if the drive torque transfer is reducing?

serious question regarding high performance hubs on my xc bike

name the hub and answer the question please, then you can ask youre techie question.

ziggy

Balls to tech information, I want more animal based insults 😆

kaesae

Well if it isn’t Simon ferrit barnes and his little programmed bike club minions.

kaesae

tazzymtb you need to suck the big time. Come over and I'll let you borrow it.

rob2

tazzymtb – american classics? No idea really . Funny thread though.

kaesae

Ziggy you are a goat milking monkey mugging chicken choking donkey brained yak herder or was that your mother, I forget. Will that do you or would you like me to insult someone else and their mother.

Simon ferrit barnes and his little programmed bike club minions.

you misunderstand my position in the club, the other members treat me with amused contempt rather than any kind of deference, and I don't recognise any of their monikers on this thread.

kaesae

Snaps CLEAROUT!!! ❓

kaesae

druidh it's a temporary solution that works. As for the bike performing better as long as it works and is safe to ride I'm sure bikers will be happy. Your parents obviously taught you well the way of the fool. Criticism accomplishes nothing but too waist time. The worst farts are the old ones.

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

How do a lot of people lose those spacers? I haven't & no-one I know has either.
    & it's "too waste time". A waist is the bit around your middle where your belt goes.

kaesae

Kiwijohn. You seem to be missing the point about criticism and time waisting. If you have nothing constructive to add piss off!.

PJ266

wasting*

(How can you say correcting spelling isnt constructive? You'll never learn otherwise)

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

I thought correcting your grammar was quite constructive, though you've made the same mistake again.

uplink

& it's "too waste time"

or even to waste time

kaesae

TV and fools. spelling is more important than getting sh1t done. Good luck with that.

slowrider

wow. just wow.

perhaps we could all learn something from kaesae here.

someone else will have to decide what though cos im stumped.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Occupation
    Bike mechanic
    Interests
    biking

Not sure you'd be working in my shop…..

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

spelling is more important than getting sh1t done.

It is. Imagine if you spelt something wrong in writing out instructions to someone and, as a result, they completely misunderstood the requirements and cocked up the job. You'd then have to do the job again thus wasting (not waisting) your precious time.

snaps

kaesae – clearout? I think you need to look in the classifieds for those.

tazzymtb

Rob2- well done that man. Yep ammerican classics

Kaesae- I'd come over and suck your "big time" but I don't think you could afford my fees!

(at least I've earned my money with honest hard graft in the oldest proffession in world, rather than selling knocked off, rattle can sprayed shite to numpties)

Oh and you still haven't answered my original techincal question, therfore it can be concluded that you really do know **** all about bike "tuning" you complete and utter f*cktard.

big kisses xxxxx

mudpup

Please let me know which shop you are working in – i'll make a point of avoiding it!
    PS Still waiting for an answer to my question – although i understand it may be a bit below someone of your obvious skills – and i dont know Simon Barnes.
    Now, how about asking ME a question that you don't know the answer to – perhaps something about punctures or changing tyres?

dn-chevy

if you want to give advice how do you work out spring rates /also as the orings are rubber they compres so wont hold the shock sqare onthe shaft unless you compress them first also to by the correct part from flooks is only £12

I've earned my money with honest hard graft in the oldest proffession in world

Tazzy, I thought that profession was, er, "negotiable affection"…

druidh

mudpup – Member

Please let me know which shop you are working in – i'll make a point of avoiding it!

He doesn't work in a bike shop. He's "freelance". He has also been unwilling/unable to explain from where these frames originate.

I know its getting near Xmas but isnt it a little early for Ebenezer Scrooge to make an appearence !

There is no way using o-rings is a suitable replacement. They're compressible and deformable, and would allow the shock to move laterally along the shaft causing wear to the bushes and potentially damaging the shock shaft.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

I'd just make some new spacers at work or pop round my dad's house and use his lathe.

You can get plastic / aluminium bar stock in B&Q if you must bodge something (probably as expensive as buying the bushes) – carefully cut and drilled it would make a more suitable short term solution.

Do people really loose these parts? And if so, will they have piles of suitably sized O-rings lying around? I've got 1000's of O-rings at work but none at home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How do I replace my outer shock mounting bushes alloy spacers without paying £20’ is closed to new replies.