Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • how do I get to cragg quarry from Lee quarry
  • ticsmon

Going 2moro. Directions or map would be useful thanks

nach
    Free Member

Here’s a GPX starting around Lee, then going up the route to Cragg for a loop around and back to the car park. (Right click and save target as, or equivalent):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37967546/LeeandCragg.gpx

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Start in Lee Quarry, ride up the big climb out to Cragg and then turn around and come down again. Cragg isn’t worth it IMHO.

dazh

Cragg isn’t worth it IMHO.

I actually prefer Cragg to Lee. It’s a better test of technique and fitness which requires a combination of all the different aspects of MTBing. Anyway getting there is easy, just go to the highest point of the Lee Quarry red trail and then look for the obvious trail branching off from it and follow that.

mcnultycop

It isn’t that obvious to find if you don’t know the area. If you follow the signs for red (which aren’t that great) you’ll find yourself at the back of Lee Quarry, with a big drop to the right. You’ll reach an overhang then a really steep, but cleanable, rocky climb, maybe 50m after this on the left there is an opening with a stream, head up this then you’ll reach the cross moors rote to Cragg. When you hit the Bridleway in the other side head right. Nice descent then Cragg Is on the left.

Simon

Rather you than me – it’ll be grim up there tomorrow 😯

Northwind

I found it hard enough to get to Lee Quarry from Lee Quarry tbh 😆 Cool place to ride but waymarked by trolls

ticsmon

Looks grim everywhere 2moro

ticsmon

Thanks chaps

skydragon
    Free Member

Cragg isn’t worth it IMHO

As per the other reply above, I prefer Cragg over Lee Quarry. Cragg Quarry is a good place to develop trail skills and more fun to ride IMHO as you’ve got to really pump the course to get the best flow out of it.

….neither place is very welcoming in the cold/wind/rain though.

Another option is to miss Lee Quarry altogether, drive to Waterfoot and then go up the pennine bridleway to Cragg Quarry. A gruelling climb (I push most of it) but a fun and fast descent on the way back down to Waterfoot after a few laps of Cragg Quarry.

Both Lee and Cragg desperately need some better signage and route marking, real shame they’ve spent the time/money on the trails and not finished off the details.

Have fun!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

….neither place is very welcoming in the cold/wind/rain though.

Which is a shame as they both have their own microclimate which is basically shit 365 days a year.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You can go up Rooley Moor Road, it turns in to track only suitable for 4×4 about half way, I ditched my van half way up last time past the Van Breakers, it’s a brutal climb but you come out on top between Lee and Cragg, comedy waymarking as mentioned you can spin the arrows in any direction!!

Any of you know of other routes up there i.e. onto Rooley Moor that are more fun less slog. I believe you can do an XC style run into Cragg from Coal Road (Edenfield) it also looks as though you could go up through Cowpe, anyone familiar with other routes, oh and any word on Facit Quarry?

MadBillMcMad

There are more routes up than there are opinions on the pros/cons of Lee over Cragg. I prefer Cragg too – better on a hard tail though IMO.

As for getting there. There is no easy way.

1. GinCroft Lane -> Sand Beds Lane

2. up via Hollins Farm & double back to Sand Beds Lane

3. Up the Coal Road via Fecit Farm, down via Waughs Well

4. Up Rooley Moor Road from the south via PBW or other starts

5. Up Rooley Moor Road from the north

6. Up the PBW from the north – a real grueller of a climb

7. & lastly whatever this might be called

& most of them in one !!!! Tour de Cowpe

binners

You can do the Coal Road, then carry on straight ahead down the bloody brilliant trail to Waughs Well, which then brings you round the back of Cragg. It’ll be slippy at the moment.

I ****ing HATE Rooley Moor road! That used to be my commute home. It was worth it for the lap of Cragg, then Owd Betts, then the Fishermans, but its a horrible climb! A proper slog!

I also prefer Cragg to Lee. It just flows better. Great fun in the middle of a night ride

MadBillMcMad

especially in a total fog white out – who needs Alton Towers to unnerve you.

ticsmon

Could of done with a fat bike up there today.

skydragon
    Free Member

Nice photo, looks almost fun there ….. but I guess it doesn’t show the unrelenting, bitter ice-cold wind that is extracting every ounce of warmth from your chilled body 🙂

Kudos for going up there today…bit o’ character building fo’ lad!

I’ll wait till all the snow has gone – I guess around April time then….

ticsmon

The wind was cold but it was the strength of it that was hard work. One gust knocked me off. Wasn’t much fun with the snow drifts either, couldn’t get any rhythm going cos as soon as you hit the snow you just stopped.
    Lee quarry was just wet!! Very wet!!

Mugboo

I’ll second the hardtail thing, Crags a drag on my Mega but good fun on my c456 & I agree that Lee Quarry is just missing decent signage.

whitestone
    Free Member

Which of those old workings up there is Lee Quarry? Cragg Qy is named on the map but I can’t see Lee Qy.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Lee quarry is Lee Mills quarry on the map ,or you might see futures park on Bacup road

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Lee quarry was just wet!! Very wet!!

It always is. Eve n in the height of summer it seems to be running with water.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ta, wasn’t looking far enough to the east!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Whoa nice replies sorry for the hijack OP 😳 I’ve been eyeballing ways up at Scout Moor Quarry (theres an easier looking road, well from a distance!) and Cown Reservoir just not sure whether the dots can be joined so to speak!

@binners – Yeah Rooley Moor Road is a pretty egregious uncompromising climb, I don’t like it and neither did my mate, in fact we had a little cry into our sandwiches about it 😉

@MadBillMcMad – thanks for the links

ticsmon

No problem Chestercopperpot (the goodies = best kids/adults film ever made.

I did the rooley Moor Road climb today and didn’t think it was that bad. The best bit was the decent to Lee quarry.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ticsmon – well your more of a man than me, probably fitter, it’s not the hardest climb out there buts it’s dull and relentless, the heavy DH bike probably didn’t help matters.

The descent to Lee is a hoot, you can follow it all the way down the red route off to the left and onto the DH course at the bottom right down to Futures Park, adds up to a pretty decent DH run, although I usually want to buzz around Lee itself and take the fork up to the black trail, love the place!

I’ve got my eye on the Coal Rd, Waughs Well run, a lap round Cragg and some sessioning round Lee, should make a nice day ride, when my shock is back from warranty.

MadBillMcMad

That is a good night ride.
    🙂

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@MadBillMcMad – water off a ducks back ehh 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘how do I get to cragg quarry from Lee quarry’ is closed to new replies.