Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How do I get rid of ‘anysearchmanager’ from my Mac?
  • FOG

Recently my oldish Mac laptop has acquired an unwanted search engine – anysearchmanager which seems to be a front for Yahoo. I certainly didn’t install it and I don’t want it but it resists all the normal ways of uninstalling. For instance my default search engine is still shown as Google but it isn’t, the new intruder doesn’t show up in applications or extensions so you can’t uninstall. There is a website registered in Israel which purports to give uninstall information but this doesn’t work.
    I don’t think it’s malware but I would like to get rid of it so are there any Mac/safari geeks out there who could give me some advice?

maccruiskeen

is it within safari’s own extensions bit rather than the system?

what happens if you use another browser?

retro83
    Free Member

Looks like it installs itself under different names according to this:

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/11989-search-anysearchmanager-com-redirect-mac#a2

I wouldn’t necessarily install Combo Cleaner but the rest of the instructions on the page look sound.

maccruiskeen

Actually it’s a ‘browser hijacker’

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-search-anysearchmanager-com/

the reason you’re not maybe finding good removal instructions is it won’t let you find them maybe. Try other browsers or even another machine to see how the search results compare on that front

edit – ah posted at the same time

hols2
    Free Member

Buy a Mac, they’re immune to malware, unlike those horrible Windows things.

Superficial
    Free Member

So it installed itself without your input knowledge or permission? And you don’t want it? And it’s resisting ways to delete it? i think you have perfectly described malware.

retro83
    Free Member

Superficial

So it installed itself without your input knowledge or permission? And you don’t want it? And it’s resisting ways to delete it? i think you have perfectly described malware.

dogxcd

Have you tried appcleaner?
    Works v well for me
    Good luck

FOG

Right, I installed the free Malware bytes which seems to have got rid of the Malware.
    However I seem to have managed to disable Safari in the process. Every time I open a window I get the ‘server dropped connection’ message. I have clearly deleted something vital in my attempt to delate the Malware.
    Any suggestions?

hols2
    Free Member

Install Chrome.

easily
    Free Member

Don’t install Chrome. Try Firefox instead.

If you really want something Chrome-ish try a Chromium based browser such as Brave.

Don’t install Chrome.

Superficial
    Free Member

My guess is that the software changed some proxy settings or something. I think there are proxy settings which are browser-specific.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Re-install Catalina.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How do I get rid of ‘anysearchmanager’ from my Mac?’ is closed to new replies.