Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How do I get more birds interested in my balls?
  • MoreCashThanDash

A wood pecker surely counts more than merely double.

I read on another thread that Ti is where its at these days….

matt_outandabout

I read on another thread that Ti is where its at these days….

Damnit, beaten to the required reply.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those clear plastic things with suction cups on stuck to the first floor bedroom window which is my office. There is a least one pair of blue tits feeding from it and taking the majority back to the nest along with grubs they have caught as well. They can demolish a fat ball in a couple of days and don’t seem bothered about me sitting just the other side of the glass. Maybe they can’t see me?
    It took them about a week or ten days to notice it was there initially.

dissonance

They can demolish a fat ball in a couple of days and don’t seem bothered about me sitting just the other side of the glass. Maybe they can’t see me?

They might just not care. Went to fill up the birdfeeders a couple of days ago and a bluetit waited for me to get within about 2ft before deciding to fly a couple of metres away to wait impatiently.
    Currently got about 30 starlings on the feeders/pecking in the grass.

Bunnyhop

Impressed with the Great spotted woodpecker IHN. You probably get green woodpeckers near you (listen out for the yaffle cry).

Plenty of natural food around this year, insects and seeds out in the meadows, fields, woodlands.
    Keep mold away from the nut pouch by scrubbing daily, your tits will thank you for it :O)

CountZero

Regarding the fatballs I bought last week, which were the Peckish Natural Balance Wild Bird Energy Balls, instead of the Peckish Extra Goodness Balls; the miserable, ungrateful, wretched little sods pecked at them a bit, then completely ignored them! 😖

Who’d a thunk it, they’ve clearly been picking up tips from the bloody hedgehogs in culinary critique! Anyway, Wilco had some more of their favourites in, so I’ve replaced the ones in the feeders, and the starlings were back on the feeders within about half an hour.

The other ones I’m breaking up and putting onto the bird table and on the ground so they can scavenge the bits.
    Anyone know if there’s a Michelin classification for wildlife restaurants?

Something I’ve noticed is that the starlings, as well as going into the hedgehogs feeding box and clearing up the leftovers, they’ve twigged there’s another exit hole on the other side of the box, with water dishes outside, so if they’re picking up food dropped from the feeders, and the box is in the way, they just hop right through the box now instead of going around it.

Further to the squabbling, there were two baby starlings having a furious scrap, flying up into the air and pecking and hitting each other, while at the same time there were two pigeons stood watching them. Then one of the starlings broke off and flew into the tree, with the pigeons heads turning to watch it, then they both turned their heads back to look at the one on the ground, then looked directly at each other and actually seemed to shake their heads! Honestly, it was like watching a bloody cartoon, I’d have loved to have been able to film it, but I was in the kitchen with no time to get my phone ready.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

My swinging nutsacks have enjoyed all manner of pecking the past few weeks, highly satisfying to sit back and enjoy. Birds everywhere, even had Jays visiting.

BUT, a filthy great heron has started appearing in my garden and it’s scaring off the tits enjoying watersports on my koi pond cascade.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I stacked the suet balls on a tray and hauled it by rope to a safe height.
    I was hoping that the crows and magpies would get a look in. Nope.

Just some bloody pigeon spent the entire day guzzling through them.

Cougar

Peckish Natural Balance Wild Bird Energy Balls

little sods pecked at them a bit

What did you expect? They were “peckish” and they got peckedish.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve invested in some of the recommended Peckish products and if the birds aren’t all over my balls this time tomorrow, there will be trouble!

Cougar

But if they stay it will be double?

alric
    Free Member

since getting 2 new neighbours, tits have lost interest in my nuts
    Jackdaws have been ramraiding the feeders too
    so i chucked some chicken on the shed roof
    no more, jackdaw!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.