Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How do Dog Owners Find Rented Accomadation?
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

We’re relocating due to work and we’re trying to find some rented accommodation for 6 months or so whilst we search for a house to buy. Trouble is we have a large dog which is making things very difficult. Seems most landlords just don’t want pet owners and the few that accept pets are generally offering a very poor standard of property.

Should I just lie about having a dog and hope I don’t get found out?

Edit: Damn, wrong forum

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Should I just lie about having a dog and hope I don’t get found out?

Yes. As an ex letting agent i’ll tell you now the chances of any landlord agreeing to a large dog is slim. Best policy is to do what you’re supposed to do anyway, treat the property right. When you move out just factor in a ‘deep clean’ and you should be OK.

I would also warn you that if someone finds out you are in breach of contract, but it would take the landlord ages to evict you! If your landlord isn’t a hands on landlord, or through an agency then just wing it.

dan1980
    Free Member

I would be honest with the landlord, and offer to pay an increased deposit to cover any potential damage. Explain the situation, and eventually you’ll find a reasonable landlord.

Looking to rent directly with the landlord rather than a letting agency should work out better as you can talk directly with them.

winston_dog
    Free Member

It’s a nightmare.

I’ve had to do it twice, it does mean compromising on what you want, IME it drops available properties to about 20% of what comes up on “Right Move”.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Be proactive. Say you have a dog but offer a guaranteed professional deep clean at the end of the rental. Get quotes for the clean and show the agency or landlord you are genuine.

andyl
    Free Member

where are you looking to rent? If it’s a more rural area then you have a better chance.

mattbee

Just taken a new tenant in our flat who has a dog. We just took an extra £100 to cover the expected extra cleaning of carpets, etc…

DezB
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member
    benji
    Free Member

Look for kennels?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How do Dog Owners Find Rented Accomadation?’ is closed to new replies.