• This topic has 99 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • How did you decide your Childs name?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Reading through a massive list doesn’t appear to be the most fun of approaches….any other ideas?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

First pets name with mothers maiden iirc?

grantway
    Free Member

Our Daughters name is Alexandra, and when we looked at names that if shortened would still sound nice.
    Most people call her Alex in which she is very happy with.

DT78
    Free Member

Sandy Remington.

Works for both boy and girl. Genius.

Duane…
    Free Member

My parents wrote a list each, without conferring. Compared lists, and there were only 2 names on both – mine and my brother’s names 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Listening to The Cult. But my wife preferred it as Evie. Her twin – we had no idea until after she was born and just decided in the delivery suite.

leffeboy

Pick half a dozen or so of varying styles, Wait til child appears then see which one seems to fit. Worked for us

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sort of like Duane… we had a white board and each just basically over months jotted down ones we liked. But the other person could strike through ones they didn’t like. We ended up with a couple for each sex and then made the final decision after the birth. I’m in Canada though and you legally can’t leave the hospital until the child is named where as I think in the UK you get a bit more time?

br
    Free Member

My three sons all have proper solid names, and each have three of them.

bob_summers

*hacks DT78’s hotmail account*

I remember it being quite hard work coming to any sort of agreement (with the added problem of choosing something pronouncable by speakers of two languages), but when he was born we just knew the right name. So don’t sweat it too much.

pdw
    Free Member

Asked our parents for names that had been used in our families in previous generations.

matt_outandabout

Ours were ones we liked, no big list looking. They should not be names to be shortened (our Ben corrected his teacher last week when she called him Benjamin – I am Ben, on my birth certificate he informed her… ) last one was not to have odd/sill combination of name or initials.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My parents wrote a list each, without conferring. Compared lists, and there were only 2 names on both – mine and my brother’s names

That was a lucky coincidence!

ton

son is named after his great grandpa, from iceland via aberdeen.
    daughter is named after wifes great granma.

tang
    Free Member

We followed a family tradition. My mothers side of the family are Brahmin priests, we consulted the Vedic astrologer that gives the first letter(or sound really) according to their chart. Certainly helped narrow things down!

simon_g

in the UK you get a bit more time

42 days to register the birth, although interestingly you can register as “unnamed” then you have up until their first birthday to re-register with the name.

Wife’s parents are Indian and I didn’t want months of debating names before the birth so we did the astrology system where you give the date/time and place of birth and you get a couple of letter/sounds (phonetic) to start the name with.

Not entirely sure we got a complying name (after much back and forth with family) but one we’re happy with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the alcoholic drink that led to their conception

samuri
    Free Member

make some noises to keep the wife happy and then just accept whatever name she comes up with.

GrahamS

Wrote lists then employed four simple tests:

– discard any names that result in dodgy/silly/amusing initials.

– discard any names that could be mistaken for the name of a pet

– discard any names that you can imagine Jeremy Kyle saying.

– The Doorstep Test: shout name in your best regional accent as if standing on the doorstep and calling in your child from the estate e.g. “Hoooow, Shard-Don-aaay! Yer tea’s oot!”. Discard any names that sound too natural.

richpips
    Free Member

My 2 1/2 year daughter old chose my sons name whilst my wife and I were discussing his name.

She saw our neighbour over the road and said “Tom window”.

We dropped the window though.

porkscratching
    Free Member

I set some basic rules for the wife:

1) Must be able to be shortened to one syllable, but have a longer/posher form that they can use when they’re arrested.
    2) Must be vaguely British and been around for a while.
    3) Will be a great name when they’re sitting in the corner of the bar of the local when they’re 70.

My boys are called Fred, Wilf and Sid.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Format is.. An alcohol, a monarch and another alcohol ..
    Middle daughter is Stella Elizabeth Rose

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Conor (mc cloud), from the clan mc cloud 😉

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My wife and I read through a few books, noting ones we liked and laughing at the ridiculous ones. We enjoyed it.

It was tricky for us though. Ever heard the expression, ‘you don’t realise how many people you dislike until you have to name a child’? It’s very true and really hard for two teachers.

We didn’t want to name them after parents, grand parents etc. as you’ll leave someone out / someone’ll wonder why you chose one over the other. In the end we got Patrick (boy #1) and Tiernan (boy #2).

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am trying to convince MrsDummy that “Stephen is a good unisex name which is both timeless and classless”.

It is also my all-time favourite name for a dog.

If that fails, I am working on the theory that all the best names are already taken by country and western singers.

🙂

solarider
    Free Member

Ours is due in 2 weeks. George Thomas.

We lived on Des Voeux Road in Hong Kong, where he was conceived. Sir George William Des Voeux was a former governor of Hong Kong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Des_Vœux), hence George.

He will be born in Singapore, which was founded by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamford_Raffles), hence Thomas.

Made our job a bit easier and fortunately we liked both names. He could have been Des Voeux Raffles of course which sounds like a great name for the best in show at Crufts but might have caused him a few problems at school!

BigDummy
    Free Member

“Raffles” is a magnificent name! 🙂

farm-boy

Name of an ex that you still have a thing for.

hora
    Free Member

My next born would be called Thor. Seriously.

My sons middle name is Fox. First name Zachary.

eltonerino
    Free Member

For the first child, we had all the books given to us (they are useless) and tried all the websites. Jude made a list, but I couldn’t come up with anything.
    I downloaded the list of names registered in Scotland in the last year or two. Over a couple of evenings I deleted all of the bad ones and was left with a list of 4. Two were the same name with different spelling, one (I had genuinely forgot) was the name of a very short term ex, and I can’t remember the other. Jude had one of the names on her list too (with the better spelling, harder to mispronounce) so we went for that one.
    Child 2, we updated the liar and added northern Ireland and English resisters. Only two names this time, and one of them wasn’t that great. Fortunately Jude had picked the good name too.
    I have no idea how Jude picks names, but we have similar tastes.

avdave2

Took a while narrowing down options with our first. When twins were on the way we handed over responsibility to our then nearly 3 years old Lucy. It wasn’t just an abdication of responsibility but an attempt to make sure she felt part of everything.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If that fails, I am working on the theory that all the best names are already taken by country and western singers.

You should go for Waylon then.

kcal

no books.

first (son) called after my father & grandfather with a good scottish middle name (now his known name)

second (daughter) with good scottish name we both agreed on along with a couple of middle names for my aunt, mother-in-law and my mother’s name..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The name is dependent on whether you live in a crappy council estate or nice posh middle class suburbia.

Drac

the alcoholic drink that led to their conception

How are Mad Dog and 20/20?

jam-bo

The only one of my wife’s list that I didn’t hate….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We had a few rules…

For me, no Irish names with difficult spellings. Hell, mine isn’t even that difficult but with a strange spelling, pronunciation and an accent, it’s been a bit of a pain in the arse living in the UK.

No former kings or queens (as first name).

No “everyday” names but with silly spellings.

No “Top Ten Names”…although whether we actually decided that or just didn’t like any of them anyway, I can’t quite remember.

Whether a diminutive name would be used for everyday use, fair enough, but birth cert would always have full name.

crankboy
    Free Member

First name my dad second his other grandad .

DrP

Wife said a few names she liked.
    I said yes or no to them.
    Then kept saying ‘no’.
    Then said ‘let’s use the first one we both liked’.
    Then told the registrar that name.

DrP

Euro
    Free Member

I wanted to call our first boy Hercules or Telemachus but fortunately for the child i’m not in charge. Using the books we compiled a short list of ‘normal’ names and when he was born we employed the native American Indian tradition and named him after the first thing we saw*. He was born with one eye closed so became Jack.

Can’t remember naming the second one but suppose we must have.

* Tall Man Crying didn’t go with our surname.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘How did you decide your Childs name?’ is closed to new replies.