• This topic has 876 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 877 total)
  • How come UN resolutions and the Geneva Convention don't apply to Israel?
  • binners

When were they given their blanket exemption? I don’t remember seeing it in the news, though you do seem to see the results of it in the news. Quite a lot.

They’re presently indulging in another bout of ‘collective punishment’. Did God give them their exemptions? Or was it someone more earth bound?

grtdkad

Their squaddies kicking seven shades out of a 15 year old BOY made me baulk the other day. Surely they should face a court martial.

Do these people have a short memory?

El-bent
    Free Member

Did God give them their exemptions? Or was it someone more earth bound?

Gods chosen people simply ignore the UN, with the backing of the USA of course.

Have a read of this. Ordinary people, Jewish and Palestinian trying to get along. Its only extremists, be it “terrorist” groups or Governments that screw things up.

The world over we allow the wrong people to get into power.

crankboy
    Free Member

They are big mates with the US who have a similar attitude to international law and a UN veto .

footflaps

A large number of US senate seats rest on the Jewish vote, hence Israel has carte blanche to do as it likes…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Inn
    Bee
    Four
    The
    Loch

This can only end well. Erm.

bigblackshed

Because the good ol’ USofA is it’s hard brother that will come round and beat you up. And if anyone says anything about Israel, then they are anti-Semitic and akin to Hilter’s little brother.

CountZero

crankboy – Member
    They are big mates with the US who have a similar attitude to international law and a UN veto .

Especially when there’s WMD’s to be taken into account…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If this makes you angry, and it makes me very angry, imagine what it must make a Palestinian living in a refugee camp feel.

MSP

Because fear and selling a “them and us” attitude gets votes. It has been shown in Israel and around the world, that the majority of people are actually rather moderate and compassionate, but by the time elections roll round they are whipped into a frenzy of blame and hate.

Look on here how on threads where someone voices a problem they have, the outpouring of sympathy and often real offers of help they receive. Then when those same problems need addressing at a wider level through politics and state, that compassion reverses and turns to hatred and blame. It seems most people just don’t understand the connection between politics and life.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

How long before Godwin gets a mention.

I find Israel Gov’t and military behaviour repulsive.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and there was me thinking gay cakes* was going to be the topic du jour.

*didn’t read that thread, so assume that’s what it was about.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Because despite what people think, there can be no compulsion for a country. International law is voluntary and thus countries chose the ones they want.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

You don’t wanna mess with Israels border control. In fact don’t even display a whiff of disgruntlement as they unpack your luggage and you watch half a dozen people take the contents in different directions as you hope and pray it all comes back to you. They’re nearly all female and ruthless…still having nightmares from my recent encounters.
    On the return to England our border control was like crossing from Wales to England in comparison (albeit cheaper).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Maybe it’s ‘cos they’ve got no foreskins or summit?

jota180
    Free Member

My knowledge is a bit ropey on this but but I don’t think there’s been a chapter VII resolution passed against Israel.
    The US simply veto any attempt.

So I guess the answer to the OP is that Israel (and the US) don’t consider other types of resolutions binding.
    Of course plenty of other Middle East countries have had chapter VII resolutions passed against them shortly before the US enforced it from 40,000ft

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nuclear Weapons. /thread

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i went on a march to protest about what is happening out there a few years back, and there were more Jewish people than any other group protesting about Israel’s behaviour.
    it is in no way anti-Semitic to say that what is happening to the Palestinians is genocide. im not usually an advocate of military ‘intervention’ but something needs to be done about Israel (the government and its policies, not the Israeli people)

peterfile
    Free Member

A good friend of mine fought with the IDF. I didn’t have any Palestinian mates when I was younger, so all of my learnings about Israel were pretty one sided.

This recent article on the Times of Israel was written by one of his friends. My mate says it pretty much sums up his experience and feeling of going to fight.

I find the the following paragraph quite important (my mate holds an identical view):

I understood the truth about the creation of our country. We did throw the Palestinians out. We did attack them, we did force out civilians from what is now Israel. Then, knowing the reality of it all, I was still glad. I was glad that we had done it, I was glad because the need of us Jews for our country was greater. We needed a state and we took one. The stakes of that war for Israel’s Independence were clear. To the victor would go the spoils. We won, the spoils are ours.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was glad because the need of us Jews for our country was greater.

What a load of bollocks. American Jews have a country, British Jews have a country, Australian Jews have a country, and so on.

If someone had to hand over territory for the creation of a country specifically for Jews then Germany is the obvious candidate. One of the many German states could have been used in reparation for what Germans and other Europeans did to Jews, instead of punishing completely innocent people.

A German Jewish state would even have had its own language in the form of Yiddish.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So I guess the answer to the OP is that Israel (and the US) don’t consider other types of resolutions binding.

There have been plenty of binding UN Security Council resolutions which Israel has simply ignored. They ignore them because they know there will be no military action against them nor economic sanctions.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    If this makes you angry, and it makes me very angry, imagine what it must make a Palestinian living in a refugee camp feel.

Imagine what it feels like living in Israel when rockets are being fired at you with no warning…

Im sure good old Britain would just put up with it if France or Ireland stared sending rockets over…

Sorry not a Hamas lover !

MoreCashThanDash

As said above, most Israelis don’t approve, and just want it all to end in a peaceful solution.

That said, and not excusing the military over reaction, most Israelis are a bit fed up of random rocket attacks as well.

Wife has had relatives out there since the 1950s, interesting to hear the spin from both sides of the argument when we see them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Im sure good old Britain would just put up with it if France or Ireland stared sending rockets over…

I’m sure ‘good old Britain’ would expect the French and Irish to send rockets over if the British were taking bits of French and Irish territory, building settlements in France and Ireland, and imposing a blockade.

Or do you think the French and Irish would just accept it ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Imagine what it feels like living in Israel when rockets are being fired at you with no warning…

Im sure good old Britain would just put up with it if France or Ireland stared sending rockets over…[/quote]
    Yep neither side comes out of this well. As we have seen all over the world continuing to fight over stuff is really the only solution that works. See Northern Ireland, The Balkans etc.

scotroutes

When you’re “right” you can ignore the rules, especially if you have god on your side.

Isn’t that right Tony?

rickmeister

I was glad because the need of us Jews Muslims for our country was greater. We needed a state Caliphate and we took one.

It just keeps rolling on….

dannybgoode

This is by no means aimed at the whole Jewish populous but the powers that be are very good at playing the anti Semitism card when any criticism of Israel is voiced. Look what happened when the Guardian published the cartoon of Netanyahu building a wall using the blood of Palestinians (albeit on a rather insensitive date).

Both the paper and the cartoonist were accused of anti Semitism when it was actually depicting what many people think and agree with.

The Jewish lobby is hugely powerful and influential – try starting a campaign against Kosher meat like the recent one against Halal meat and see what happens (note there is very little difference in how the animal is slaughtered so if Halal meat was banned then Kosher meat should be too but it wouldn’t be)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

History and human nature have ensured a total nause-up. There is no peaceful solution.

It’s shite, I know, but there it is. 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep neither side comes out of this well.

It’s Israel that comes out badly. With every year that passes Israel has less friends in the world as a direct result of their behaviour.

A classic example of how Israel’s behaviour influences people’s attitude towards it is the case of prominent British Jew Gerald Kaufman. Gerald Kaufman was once a very staunch supporter of Israel but as a direct result of Israel’s behaviour over many decades Kaufman’s attitude slowly changed to the point where today he is one of Israel’s most outspoken critic in Britain.

I know that Israel doesn’t care what the world thinks as long as US support remains reliable, but the US is in the process of long decline as Britain was a 100 years ago, eventually they will find that their only friend will no longer be able to help them.

And btw US public opinion is nowhere as supportive of Israel as the US government is.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

and they killed jesus..probably

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

– try starting a campaign against Kosher meat like the recent one against Halal meat and see what happens (note there is very little difference in how the animal is slaughtered so if Halal meat was banned then Kosher meat should be too but it wouldn’t be

Try harder and do your homework !

290000 Jews in the UK

Almost 3000000 Muslims in the UK yes 3000000

jambalaya
    Free Member

The kidnap and murder of the three Israeli teenagers was designed to inflame the situation in Gaza. It has achieved that objective.

dannybgoode

@UFG – I don’t see your point. My point is if you tried to ban Kosher meat you would be accused of being an anti semite and any campaign would rapidly die out and Britain First would certainly not be running a Facebook campaign to get it banned.

However the difference between the two slaughters is minimal so if one where banned it the other should be but Kosher meat wouldn’t due to the power of the Jewish lobby. It is this same power and influence that allows Israel to get away with things that would cause uproar if other countries tried it (think white phosphorous attacks on civilians).

The population numbers matter not…

Frodo

I understood the truth about the creation of our country. We did throw the Palestinians out. We did attack them, we did force out civilians from what is now Israel. Then, knowing the reality of it all, I was still glad. I was glad that we had done it, I was glad because the need of us Jews for our country was greater. We needed a state and we took one. The stakes of that war for Israel’s Independence were clear. To the victor would go the spoils. We won, the spoils are ours.

Even if you were to accept this argument (which I do not) the onus must be on the Israel to secure peace, to agree a two state solution and quite frankley to abide by internationla law.

The Israeli state is morally bankrupt.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Yep neither side comes out of this well.

It’s Israel that comes out badly. With every year that passes Israel has less friends in the world as a direct result of their behaviour.[/quote]

The comment was in relation to the comments about Hamas rockets etc. Still no idea how to make it stop, still no clear solution.

binners

Well air strikes and mass collective punishment don’t seem to be stopping the rockets. At some point, as with all conflicts, the Israeli’s need to look for a solution that doesn’t involve bombing the **** out of civilians, and making their lives a living hell, as it clearly isn’t working. Far from it!

But they do the opposite and get harder and harder line in their onslaught against the Palastinions. What on earth do they think they’re going to do? React of course.

The Americans could force the Israeli’s to the negotiating table in approximately 2 minutes, if their were the remotest will to do so

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners – the Hamas and other terrorists don’t wear a uniform and they deliberately locate themselves in civilian areas. 165 rockets fired into Israel the last 24 hours. Who do you think the Isreali’s should negotiate with, do you think the murderers of the three teenagers are making themselves available for a meeting and what should be discussed ?

As I said the kidnap and murder was designed by the Palestinians to create a military conflict. The Isreali’s have the more powerful military so the consequences are predictable.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

even if you just look at the direct consequences of the military action taken by both sides, Israel’s disproportionate response is utterly unjustifiable.

yes, Hamas send the odd firework rocket over the MASSIVE CONCRETE WALL that Israel has surrounded them by. But how many Israelis have been killed or injured by them? Any idea? no – because the number is virtually zero since the wall was constructed.

Israels latest bombardment, in the last day or two has killed 4 women and 3 children, excluding any innocent males.

how is that proportionate, responsible or just?

The fact that Israel build a **** concrete wall around them is bad enough…

still at least we’ve learnt from history eh, ghettoizing a group based on their racial or religious beliefs would be a **** ridiculous thing to do in the 21st century.

oh. wait…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 877 total)

The topic ‘How come UN resolutions and the Geneva Convention don't apply to Israel?’ is closed to new replies.