Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How can I persuade my Dad not to buy this bike?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A while back I asked for advice on here for an ebike for my Dad in his early 80’s

Despite me trying my best he ignored all my advice refusing to look at ebikes, until last night I got an email linking to this

Orbea Gain Ebike

null

He has pretty much said he is buying it. If he was younger I would say fine, but he will be going flat bar to drops, and to a high top tube compared to what he has been used to. 🙄

He likes it because it is light. I don’t know about the tech. The motor appears comparable to other bikes (250w) however I assume the battery will be the limiting factor (36V/6.9A) He will only be riding 20miles ish max.

How can I persuade him that it may not be the best bike for someone in their 80’s… or do I just let him get on with it? He is a stubborn old bugger

martymac

Advise him to get a lengthy test ride, you wouldn’t buy a bike without a test ride.
    Having said that, he might get it and like it just fine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks fine, buy him some Lycra.

joebristol

Maybe he likes it because it doesn’t look like an ebike?

The head tube doesn’t look too short compared to some road bikes – if it’s more or an endurance bike it might be ok.

I’ve got quite a racy road bike but use it mostly for commuting. I spent a lot of my time on the hoods rather than in the drops and it’s more comfortable for longer distances than riding a flat bar.

I guess the main issues are getting his leg over the high top tube and how his balance and lower back are. Road bikes can be more twitchy than a more upright flat bar bike.

Ultimately he’ll do his own thing if he wants to I guess – all you can do is have a quick search around and see if you can find a flat bar hybrid where the e-bike elements are hidden / subtle. A lot of the ones you see have an obvious battery stuck on the down tube so I get why he might not have wanted to look at one of those.

oldnpastit

Isn’t there a gravel version which might be better for him, with bigger tyres?

senorj

Clearly, your dad has good taste.
    🙂

keir
    Free Member

Ribble do the same frame a lot cheaper, and u think a flat bar version too

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isn’t there a gravel version which might be better for him, with bigger tyres?

Yes there is and I would like him to try it.

The roads around here (Oswestry) are narrow, dirty, potholed.

You need to be able to steer quickly and easily + yes the tyres are way too narrow.

My commute bike here has 35’s on it as some of the side roads are so poor.

Will look at the Ribbles too, but they are not any cheaper from what I can see.

martymac

Btw, when i searched for that bike, it does state that it takes up to 40mm tyres.

transition1
    Free Member

I am sure there is a flat bar hybrid version Biketart showed me in their shop

PJay
    Free Member

It looks like Orbea also do a Gain Urban which look surprisingly un-Ebike like and might suit.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Don’t be under any illusions of lightness though; the alloy framed bikes from both Orbea and Ribble are still really hefty.
    I also thought the welds were best described as industrial rather than the neatness one would expect on a bicycle frame.
    There are flat bar versions available along with varying kit levels and tyre clearances.

epicyclo

FunkyDunc

…How can I persuade him that it may not be the best bike for someone in their 80’s… or do I just let him get on with it? He is a stubborn old bugger

He’ll be well aware of that, and also well aware that there’s not much riding time left for him to enjoy as various body parts cease to work as well as they used to.

So really, it’s why not?

After all, if it’s unsuitable, trade it in and get something else.

Be best if he could try a demo first – he might change his mind.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Have you told him your concerns?

If so, stand down. He’s a grown man and it’s a free world. Some people need to learn from their own mistakes. At present the jury is out on whether it even is a mistake. He might love it.

TiRed

It won’t come slammed and I doubt the saddle to bar drop will look anything like that. Add some GP5000 28c tyres and just enjoy it. Just be sure it is the right size, drops/flats are irrelevant to that, it just has to fit properly.

Everyone skimps on OEM tyres, it is always the most cost-effective upgrade out of the box.

weeboll
    Free Member

Top tube height and frame weight nothing compared to the farmers gate he’ll have had as a kid!

My 78yr old dad is still on a 1950’s claud butler, quite possibly on original tyres, definitely still original brake pads and still on dynamo lights. I’ve recommended an ebike but only cos I want it in another few years….

jkomo

My mates wife has one, it’s ace.
    Loads of tyre clearance as well.
    Sorry

philjunior
    Free Member

It won’t come slammed and I doubt the saddle to bar drop will look anything like that. Add some GP5000 28c tyres and just enjoy it. Just be sure it is the right size, drops/flats are irrelevant to that, it just has to fit properly.

This. It’ll be fine, it won’t be as aggressive as it looks in the pic. You might be right, but it’s his money, he doesn’t need to ride a shopper just because it’s an ebike, and this should be quite quick/low on battery use on the flat, even quicker climbing with the motor.

In terms of potholed roads, I think people kid themselves on with large tyres etc. You’ll still need to steer round the worst, grip isn’t just down to a fat tyre if that’s a concern.

mikeyp

On the bright side if he does buy it you’ll be able to ride it soon…

wonnyj
    Free Member

My dad (68) just bought a 2nd hand orbea terra. He did a good test ride to check he could get up his local hills and made an offer.

The bike is totay rad and I’m more than a bit envious.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We are actually going to look at the bikes this aft.

He has also asked if he can have a go on my road bike first as its been a few years since he’s been on drops.

I guess as above just let him come to his own conclusions. My only concern is that if you fall off at 80 it doesn’t just hurt, it breaks your pelvis, but again as above he has to come to his own conclusion about that one

woodster

When you’re in your 80s everything in life is a risk, but sitting at home scared is no fun, so if he likes it let him get on with it. I hope I still want to ride cool bikes when I’m his age!

slowoldman

You would have to come up with alternatives and explain to him why they are better. For what it’s worth, at 65 I decided my n+1 was going to more relaxed bike than my “racer”. Sloping short top tube, higher stack, bigger tyres. Yes, a “gravel” bike. So I now have a Spesh Diverge. Not any help re. e-bikes but I reckon it’s the right geometry if you are not going to be an arse up head down rider (though I am an OAPIL).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have that exact model. The position is vaguely similar to my other road bikes, I have slammed the stem. There is loads of tyre clearance for gravel tyres. Mine came with Hutchinson 11Storm Fusion 5 tubeless tyres and tubeless rims too, so they have not scrimped on tyres!

If he trys it then he’ll probably realise it’s “just” an assist style motor. You have to put some effort in, a lot more than say a Giant or something with a Fazua/Bosch/Shimano gearbox.

The weight of the rear wheel motor makes the handling out of the saddle a bit odd (weight distribution), plus because of that weight and presumably the stiffness of the frame required to house the batteries, it tends to thump over the potholes and bumps. Not especially comfortable but I might have too much pressure in the tyres….

hooja
    Free Member

Not much help to the question but… your dad sounds pretty rad to me, I hope I’m like him when I reach that age, good on him!

andytheadequate
    Free Member

They do a flat bar version of this bike, maybe find a link and send that one to him? It’s slightly cheaper and has the same sleek looks, but has flat bars instead of drops.

As someone else said earlier, Ribble do a similar bike too that might be worth considering.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How can I persuade my Dad not to buy this bike?’ is closed to new replies.