Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How can I keep my homemade bread fresher for longer?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As the title really – it is going quite stale by day two and whilst I know it is bound to go stale more quickly that supermarket bread, I would like to keep it fresher for longer if possible.

Any tips or tricks?

xcgb
    Free Member

Toast it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow, middle class thread of the day.

No advice though. Not sure there’s much you can do. Just be thankful you’re not French.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alfabus
    Free Member

I never find that a loaf lasts more than 2 days, because I have eaten it.

Yummy fresh bread – can’t beat it!

Have you got a decent, sealed breadbin to keep the air from it?

Dave

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have a bread bin but not sure how air tight it is – it is one of those Brabantia ones rather than a nice lidded ceramic pot or anything – we also wrap the bread in greaseproof (then a plastic bag when it has been eaten a bit and will fit).

Is there anything I can add during the cooking that might make it last a bit better?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I never find that a loaf lasts more than 2 days, because I have eaten it.

Tick

Have you got a decent, sealed breadbin to keep the air from it?

Tick

I also add a touch more water than the basic recipe suggests, because that’s the way I like it, but it also seems to stay nom-able for (a little) longer.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yummy fresh bread – can’t beat it!

Agreed – it is lovely on day one but day two butties are getting a bit dry.

toby1

More fat will probably help it last, but then that is probably also a reason you make it at home.

alfabus
    Free Member

Is there anything I can add during the cooking that might make it last a bit better?

sorry, can’t help you there, mine is just breadmaker fare – I am not sufficiently skilled in the ways of mixing/kneading myself to advise on recipes.

We use different flour mixes, and I find some of them last longer than others. Current favourite is Allinsons Seed and Grain flour:

Dave

bentos
    Free Member

Butter (fat) or as a healthy substitute oil will help keep the bread fresher. Or just make smaller loaves more often?

Junkyard
    Free Member

brown bread and non white processed flour last longer.
    Two das ar eyou just fussy?
    It wint be as bice as day one but dry…ar eyou sure?
    You can wet it and re fire it in the oven but it also gets more of a crunch
    Make two batches and refire the second one on day 2???

MartynS

I slice mine once its cooled and bag up 5/6 slices and freeze.. seems to work

binners

leffeboy

As others have said, putting more oil in should help

mustard
    Free Member

Half the dough and keep the second half in the fridge until the first is almost eaten then bung in the oven and bake, rather than making one loaf that is obviously too big for you to eat in time and without having to do the whole thing from scratch twice?

I used to find that breadmakers were only good for kneading etc and you get a better loaf by baking it in t oven.

s
    Free Member

Half the dough and keep the second half in the fridge until the first is almost eaten then bung in the oven and bake, rather than making one loaf that is obviously too big for you to eat in time and without having to do the whole thing from scratch twice?

That works for us too, make the dough sizes big enough for daily use, then store the rest in the fridge & bake when needed.

Home made bread rarly lasts more than a day in our home 😉

woody2000

I’m sure I read somewhere that sticking a piece of unglazed terracotta in your bread bin helps to keep it fresh for longer. Can’t remember where though 😕

alfabus
    Free Member

unglazed terracotta in your bread bin helps to keep it fresh for longer

this would presumably regulate the moisture in the air – releasing/absorbing depending on the ambient, so I can see that it might work.

Dave

mustard
    Free Member

Home made bread rarly lasts more than a day in our home

I had to stop making it as it’d barely last an hour and anyone else would be lucky to get a look in 😳

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Current favourite is Allinsons Seed and Grain flour:

That is our fave too – I do the Kenwood recipe for ‘egg-enriched white bread’ but with that flour and it comes out a treat.

It isn’t really dry but I am really fussy about my bread being fresh (and not being squashed either – I HATE squashed bread).

jonba
    Free Member

You could try adding some vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)? It’s used as an additive in plenty of foods to prolong shelf life. Normally those that say “free from artifical colours or preservatives” as you can get it from natural sources.

Not sure it would taste nice, I’d go with freezing it myself.

boblo
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    brown bread and non white processed flour last longer.
    Two das ar eyou just fussy?
    You can wet it and re fire it in the oven but it also gets more of a crunch
    Make two batches and refire the second one on day 2???

This made me think of the policeman in ‘Allo ‘Allo 🙂

Doesn’t ‘improver’ sort this? I not used it and have also found some mixes last better than others. On day 2, we slice and freeze what’s left, that sorts the freshness out.

Marko

As Jonba say’s add Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). I never use it, but all the recipes for our bread maker have it as an ingredient. All seem to be based on 1/4 teaspoon per 500g loaf.
    Hth
    Marko

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

cheers – I will look into that one. Could I just pop in a Haliborange? 😉

emsz
    Free Member

I use rapeseed oil (about 2 tablespoons) lasts about 3-4 days

madhouse

My mum got me a terracotta thingie from somewhere, I think it could’ve been Lakeland. About 2″ square and you soak it in water for a while before popping it into your bread bin with your bread, works a charm! Must be something to do with the aforementioned moisture release.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – will have to look into that then.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How can I keep my homemade bread fresher for longer?’ is closed to new replies.