Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How can I get a TV programme made about cycling?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Preferably to be shown on BBC. I want to make something to help teach people about cycling in towns. Tips, advice, encouragement that kind of thing. It could cover road safety, equipment, a bit of basic bike maintenance, a guide to buying bikes and perhaps information on cycle to work schemes. I think it would be a good way to help promote and encourage cycling.

So do the Beeb have an email address for suggestions or what?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Sounds crap to be honest. You’d need folk getting fingers sliced off in disc rotors as an absolute minimum. Probably need a bit of Badger tyre gunk action also.

defydude
    Free Member

Preferably to be shown on BBC

I think you’re aiming to low.

MSP

So do the Beeb have an email address for suggestions or what?

More than likely, but only to make the people sending in suggestions feel better about themselves. Television isn’t a meritocracy, knowing someone is better than having a good idea.

project
    Free Member

Molgrips, email me , i have had a request about appearing on a bbc documentry about cycling, being made by an indepaendant company for bbc 1.

I will then send you the email.

andrewh
    Free Member

You may be better off trying a more niche broadcaster first, maybe an online one, something like Lovevelo, go for a feature in a current show rather than a full show.
    If that works try a full show. If that works see if they will help take it to a bigger broadcaster, maybe a sattelite channel of some sort. If that works try the BBC.
    Start small and build up. It;s very rare for a first-timer (are you a first timer?) to get the channel they want and even the time slot they want. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor did with Red Dwarf, I beleive they even turned down an offer from Channel 4 as they didn’t want adverts in the middle ruining the flow. You need to be confident in it to turn down an offer like that though!

Lummox

What about doing a podcast?

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

You may be better off trying a more niche broadcaster first, maybe an online one, something like Lovevelo, go for a feature in a current show rather than a full show.
    If that works try a full show. If that works see if they will help take it to a bigger broadcaster, maybe a sattelite channel of some sort. If that works try the BBC.
    Start small and build up. It;s very rare for a first-timer (are you a first timer?) to get the channel they want and even the time slot they want. Rob Grant and Doug Naylor did with Red Dwarf, I beleive they even turned down an offer from Channel 4 as they didn’t want adverts in the middle ruining the flow. You need to be confident in it to turn down an offer like that though!

They had already done a fair bit of radio for the beeb and some writing for Spitting Image though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. I like the podcast idea.

Even a blog would help.

However what I want is a big programme, probably one-off, on some prime time slot that get watched by the proles raising the issues around cycling – perhaps with a follow-up audience participation programme. It should show people how to go about cycling, why it can be good, how to do it safely – give all those ‘oh I’d like to cycle but….’ people a bit of a nudge. And also bring up drivers v cyclists – have opinions on both sides and hopefulyl bring up a debate where we can get motorists and cyclists talking to each other instead of hating.

nick1962
    Free Member

You need more of a “populist” angle to get the media interested.
    Start by having an affair with that well known cyclist’s wife SAMCAM or cut out the middle woman completely and just mow down the man himself in a classic SMIDSY.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

If you could introduce a cooking angle you could have it running on five channels at once.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sounds boring, will it be presented by someone hilarious, have crash footage and use pounding exciting music?

the crash footage would have to take up more show time than road safety for it to keep my interest.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d probably put it on at 7pm when no-one really watches telly properly anyway. Everyone knows the One show is just filler.

project
    Free Member

Molgrips you have mail

molgrips
    Free Member

Ta

robbo
    Free Member

You could try pitching it with the bike week people, maybe as extended feature on the one show. At least get CTC or bc involved and get some celebs in. Miss Pendleton always makes good tv…

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Richard Hammond would probably host seeing as he is an avid driver and cyclist. Plus his teeth would attract the right broadcasters.

charliedontsurf

His teeth will attract moths and flies. Giving us an Bbc nature watch angle.

A one off tv show is not the way to get his to the public. It’s a one off. How about this…

Make it yourself, with a semi pro maybe student team.
    Get cycle industry sponsors to help
    Sustrans may be interested
    Host in on line where it will be available forever.

On the bbc, you would be lucky to get a 3 minute slot on the one show.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain that you will need to do slightly more than email a large and faceless cut throat business corporation..

who will take the credit for your idea..?
    who will sift through the hundreds of thousands of emails that get sent to ‘the bbc’ by various ne’er do wells each and every day..?

What you will probably need to do (and I’m only guessing here) is approach an independant film company with your idea.. and a filming schedule.. and a script.. and a business plan..

otherwise it’s probably a bit like posting on an internet forum trying to get someone to design a company logo for free..

I don’t think there’s any wizard of oz at pebble mill..

another avenue would be to obtain a very good relevant degree.. then apply for a job as a runner.. then work your way up through the ranks until you have earned yourself a position where your ideas will be taken seriously by someone with the power to act on them..

molgrips
    Free Member

A one off tv show is not the way to get his to the public.

Hm but there’s not enough material to make a series out of it. Wouldn’t want to be one of those lame single issue series.

I don’t care about credit or money or anything. I just want to get the message out to as many people as possible.

yunki
    Free Member

I just want to get the message out to as many people as possible.

obtain a very good relevant degree.. then apply for a job as a runner.. then work your way up through the ranks until you have earned yourself a position where your ideas will be taken seriously by someone with the power to act on them..

charliedontsurf

It won’t fly on mainstream tv.. I don’t see an audience

. Cyclists already know what they need to know and it would have to be pitched below them… And non cyclists won’t give a hoot.

But I bet the one show or panarama or ???? Will cover the subject this year. It’s a very hot topic, our transport minster wasvknocked off, the times loves us and it’s the Olympics.

thomthumb
    Free Member

monkey tennis?

yunki
    Free Member

britains got talent

wallace1492
    Free Member

There was something like this on a while back, but more about whose fault it is for crashes. e.g. cyclists getting doored and the like.

Plus has been bits on the news regarding cyclist safety – Magnatom in Glasgow was on STV.

I think it would work, but programme would have to cover all aspects of cycling, from the grass roots work by guys like Ed’s Cycle Co-op and Bike Station to Sportive’s, MTBing, touring, etc etc.

Sounds very interesting, needing a hand?

ocrider

Richard Hammond would probably host seeing as he is an avid driver and cyclist. Plus his teeth would attract the right broadcasters.

Oh please, not more of him on the telly. A biking Topgear is not whats needed.

A mountainbiking slot on Countryfile would probably work better (Pedalfile, anybody?)
    John Craven, now there’s a man with television-friendly teeth!

aracer
    Free Member

there’s not enough material to make a series programme out of it.

FTFY

You could try going on Dragons Den with it as a business idea – at least then you might get some publicity out of the Dragons laughing at you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cyclists already know what they need to know

I don’t think they do though, that’s the problem. And there are a lot of people who might like to cycle to work, say, but just haven’t got round to it. A bit of promotion and good vibe might help here.

This is mainly not about mountain biking by the way, more about cycling as transport.

It’s occurred to me though that there arne’t even a published set of guidelines specific to cycles. The highway code has some stuff but I reckon it’d help loads if there was say a cyclists handbook as well.

MartynS

is it a sports programme, consumer, childrens?

Work out who its for, write up a pitch. Then find out the names of the exec producers in the department you want and contact them. “No Ta” will be the first response, keep going.

The other option is to make the programme and then try to sell it to someone. To be honest this has discovery channel, or Quest written all over it.
    Bear in mind there is much more to just getting you’re mate to film you, bolting it together in imovie and handing over a dvd. You’ll have to worry about tech compliance, editorial compliance etc.

Where in the world are you??
    I don’t know much about the commissioning prosess, but I have a vague idea how to make ’em

wallace1492
    Free Member

Cyclecraft[quote]if there was say a cyclists handbook as well[/quote]

There is! Its called Cyclecraft by John Franklin, see link above. Very good book. 8)

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

sound like the kind of thing that could get a 4 minute slot in “The One Show”, but you still need a gimmick and a lot of luck.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know there are lots of books, I mean an official govt one. Govt advice carries a lot more weight than some guy’s advice.

The other option is to make the programme and then try to sell it to someone. To be honest this has discovery channel, or Quest written all over it.

Yeah that would make it pointless. It would hav eto have mass distribution, that’s the point. The main aims are to just get cycling and cyclists into everyone’s mind, particularly the entrenched motorist, and to help encourage people who feel like cycling but don’t really feel it’s their thing.

A newspaper thing could work, like the Times – but more educational I reckon. Although I don’t know what htey have in mind.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

why would “entrenched motorists” watch a dull program about cycling? if that’s the aim then a short slot on a more general magazine kind of show might be more appropriate anyway. the kind of thing you hope they can’t be bothered to change the channel for.

Trekster

Cycle craft is recommended reading for the Bikeability scheme http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/

Better idea IMO would be to get someone like Holly & Phil on board and do small slots on ITV during Bikeweek

Do you already have a Bikeability quali?

wallace1492
    Free Member

There will be local campaigns where you live encouraging cycling, join up with them. I would love to see more cycle commuting in Glasgow, and would happily help achieve this.

landcruiser
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the recent replies, however my Sister in law, who used to be with the Beeb says’s this…..

Yes all proposals for BBC TV and online content ideas must be submitted online through e-Commissioning …check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/pitching-ideas/e-commissioning.shtml. He would probably have to mock up a programme ‘treatment’ (a detailed propsal with a 30 min episode idea) but all the info should be on that link.

The direct people concerned with that programme idea would probably be someone like Alison Kirkham (Commissioning Editor for Factual formats and features) or Abigal Appleton (Commissioner for BBC Learning).
    I reckon it’s a good idea as there aren’t any really bikey programmes on the Beeb at the moment – but it would need a bit of an edgy quality to it (think Top Gear for bikes!)

molgrips
    Free Member

why would “entrenched motorists” watch a dull program about cycling?

Because it would have to be not boring. If it was about cycling and traffic issues it would get as many hating motorists watching as it would cyclists I reckon. The edgy quality could be something like a debate getting anti-cyclist people face to face with cyclists but properly managed so it dind’t end up as a bun fight. You could have a panel of say, people from RAC, Clarkson, someone from Sustrans, Boris, Victoria Pendleton and so on.

I think a lot of people have an opinion on cycling and cyclists (just look at the comments sections on the news articles or the threads on Mumsnet), this could get people watching.

project
    Free Member

Molgrips have sent you a ladies email who may be able to help,

kennyp
    Free Member

Possibly more chance of this happening on the back of the Times campaign. Good luck with a good idea.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for the encouragement some of you 🙂

I considered starting a blog called ‘I hate cyclists’ or some such, just to get people’s attention. Then invite submissions and complaints from either side and post them up and have moderated comments. Get people talking. Not as much exposure but I could control how it went.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How can I get a TV programme made about cycling?’ is closed to new replies.