Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How British is Richie Porte?
  • zippykona

On the Froome / Bud scale?

unklehomered
    Free Member

enough for hard times.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Not in the slightest, is someone saying he is?

zippykona

He doesn’t sound very Aussie and I’m assuming he’s not a native Australian .So I’m guessing his family originate from these Isles.

slowoldman

Well he’s presumably descended from British criminals so I guess that puts him ahead of Froome and Wiggo.

Anyway, who cares really about nationality? I just want to see a good race and this one is shaping up nicely. I wish G hadn’t come down though – even if he is “only” Welsh.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

He’s Tasmanian not sure if that’s like being Welsh or Scottish and called English 😕

CountZero
    mrlebowski
    Free Member

Is it important?

johndoh
    Free Member

Still gutted Froome is out – watching today’s stage I just wish he was there on Contador’s wheel.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry about Bertie, no way will he win the tour. Enjoyed watching Nibali staring into the back of his head as if to say – is that it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Almost as if Nibbles was saying, “What’s the beef, Bertie?”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Since they made Bertie a veggie, his powers have seriously waned.

butcher

As much as I’d like to see him put up a fight, I think Nibali will struggle against Contador in the Mountains.

Porte wasn’t making it look easy today either…he had his full Cadel Evans pose going on.

I reckon Contador is a decent bet for GC without Froome.

warton
    Free Member

Bertie will make time in the time trial, and he’ll attack and attack and attack in the mountains. is Nibali strong enough? Only time will tell

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

bertie will make time in the time trial

Disagree he”d previously been living off his beef assisted climbing and TTing , and has been found out in the last couple of years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Porte
    Aussie. Tasmanian

There is a difference 😉

There is a cautious optimism/hope over here in Oz (and his home town) more in a would be great if he won sort of a way.

The thing not going for him is Froome/Wiggins had him as a backup, the Sky line up is a little too thin for attacking/dominating so if he wants it he needs to nip away and get some luck.

There is also a lot of luck floating round this tour and not much of it good.

ratherbeintobago

How British is Richie Porte?

He isn’t, but unlike Froome, he isn’t pretending to be either.

MoreCashThanDash

Oi! Nothing wrong with being a Kenyan born Brit. 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Depends on whether he wins dunner it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Britain loves to pull in athletes from all over the world and stick a “Made in the UK” badge on them (reading the smallprint you would find “prepared and packed in the UK, original source may vary” caveat).

Look at athletics; Tiffany Porter, Michael Bingham, Shara Proctor, Ese Okoro… it’s the only way we can produce world class teams in certain sports!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have I missed something , have sky been pretending to be an all British team.

zippykona

If Billy Vunipola can play for England I just wanted to claim Porte as one of ours even if he didn’t realise it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah not sure where this all started? He is certainly all Australian/Tasmania on the local broadcasters but Phil & Paul seem to have latched onto him a bit too (we get their commentary too)

Macavity
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

and if you read a bit further down the Aussie who signs the cheques might be quite happy with the direction of the team 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Enjoyed watching Nibali staring into the back of his head as if to say – is that it?

right up until Bertie actually accelerated and, despite chewing his bars, Nibali couldnt respond and lost 3 seconds in just 50 metres, you mean?

I wish G hadn’t come down though

he got taken out by Talansky, though I’m sure Garmin will have a different take on it…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If bertie had got going and put 50s in then it might be different but 3s is nothing. So long as nibali and porte could see him not much was lost. Wait for Mondays stage and we will know a lot more.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

but bertie now has the idea that on steep ramps he can put distance into Nibali. It was fascinating watching Nibali staring at Bertie (did he even blink?!) and hugging his wheel, but I got the impression Bertie was doing it to assess Nibali’s strength for future steeps, rather than take meaningful time out of him. He put a few exploratory jabs in and got 3 seconds as a secondary bonus.

All adds up to the potential for a great race rather than a dull procession. I’m rooting for Nibali but I also like Contador for his snake-hipped near weightless climbing prowess and his guile (attacking on descents or flat transitional stages and catching people napping) and I’d like to see plain-talking Porte rise to the challenge, mix it and get on the podium.

I’ll be watching Monday live from start to finish 🙂

DenDennis
    Free Member

This is Richie’s national flag so I reckon that means about a quarter british, or 25%?

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Bertie will go bat shit crazy early in a stage with lots of climbs, bit like today, but not today, in the second / third week. Just watch. For reference look at the 2012 Vuelta, think it was stage 15. Ambushed Rodriguez et al to take the race! It’s a better race without the snooze train.

bob_summers

Ask Phil Ligget. He called Cavendish English on the first stage commentary, the daft old coot *

*hope this doesn’t count as swear filter avoidance

mattsccm
    Free Member

The implication of the above is that being a Manxman means he come from a different country. Is that really so?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It means he’s not ENGLISH. You could reasonably say he was BRITISH, but it appears Liggett didnt say that.

MoreCashThanDash

Cav was born in Harrogate, so he’s more English than Froome, and me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have to wonder why the OQ was asked? I guess you are new to this road cycling fandom and understanding how cycling teams work? They are not national teams you know.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Born in Douglas according to Wikipedia. I though it was his mum that was from Harrogate. Cav that is.

MoreCashThanDash

My mistake then. Seem to recall the Tour commentary talking about him being brought up in Harrogate, but given how wildly inaccurate most of their facts are I should have checked!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How British is Richie Porte?’ is closed to new replies.