Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How Big Is The Solar System?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

[url=http://i.imgur.com/zJ0aAQW.png][/url][url=http://i.imgur.com/pQRsjNm.png][/url]

DezB
    Free Member

You must have a bigger monitor than me cos I had to keep scrolling down.

thepurist

Woah – Honda make comets? Cool!

miketually
    Free Member

Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the subject of depth:

rOcKeTdOg

22 million years if continous scrolling, almost as long as a 650b v 26″ thread

thepurist

Grrrr! Mariana Trench = Himalayas, Challenger Deep = Everest.

And you need to add 2012 (James Cameron) to the 1960 at the bottom.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I feel rather small and insignificant after looking at this thread now.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Solar System? Pah!

the scale of the universe

AlexSimon

I preferred the other sea depth one – it swapped when I was about to post.

Really good these though (except the long cat)

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got cramp in my finger

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Might make you feel small to start with, but when you think about it, we are not only composed of the same matter as the universe; we are also pretty much the most dynamic part so far discovered!

bikebouy
    Free Member

My phone just died scrolling down that lot..

Jamie
    Free Member

Solar System? Pah!

the scale of the universe

I saw that for the first time last night. Impressively, it was done by 2 14yr brothers.

I preferred the other sea depth one – it swapped when I was about to post.

Removed as some bits were out of date, but here you go:

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U[/video]

Drac

Long cat is no longer (HA!) as he was spoiling a good thread.

lemonysam
    Free Member

One thing I like to remember about the solar system is that The Sun is actually pretty small as stars go. If Betegeuse was at the centre of the solar system not only would the entire orbit of earth be contained within it, we’d be closer to the centre of the star than to its edge – which would be approximately at the orbit of Jupiter. Other stars are almost twice the size of Betelgeuse.

miketually
    Free Member

If you scaled up the atoms in a grapefruit to the size of blueberries, the grapefruit would be the size of the Earth. The nucleus of the atom would still be too small to see with the naked eye.

To be able to see the atom’s nucleus easily, you would need to enlarge the atom to the size of a football stadium. The nucleus would then be the size of a small marble. Between this nucleus and the electrons is nothing.

Most of what we can see in the universe is nothing. Most of what the universe is made of, we can’t see.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Most of what the universe is made of, we can’t see.

“Most” undersells it a bit really doesn’t it? 95% of what the universe is made of, we can’t see or directly observe in any other way.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

On the subject of depth:

For a minute there I thought the ‘frightening looking’ fish at 13,120 FT beneath sea level included the Fleshlight Fish.

miketually
    Free Member

“Most” undersells it a bit really doesn’t it? 95% of what the universe is made of, we can’t see or directly observe in any other way.

95.1%

🙂

TheFlyingOx

crikey
    Free Member

That ‘Farthest travelled by human beings’ bit after the Moon, is that Pink Floyd then?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Its all a bit wild this existence lark… Even in our immediate surroundings we only see a minute slice of the full spectrum of the composition of the world around us; a bit like our sensory equipment is hardwired to receive just that which our limited processing potential can efficiently interpret.

Wonder how quick your brain would fry if we were exposed to the full depth of the matter that surrounds and binds us.

Blimey, I’ve gone all Jedi

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

but don’t forget even after all this mind boggling scale – god still really doesn’t like the gays.

slowoldman

Wonder how quick your brain would fry if we were exposed to the full depth of the matter that surrounds and binds us.

As Slartibartfarst said when entering hyperspace “it scares the willies out of me”.

thepurist

a bit like our sensory equipment is hardwired to receive just that which our limited processing potential can efficiently interpret.

Or ‘a bit like the fact that we’ve evolved to perceive the things we need to find food, shelter, a mate and to avoid threats’. But yeah, imagine being able to perceive stuff across the full EM and gravitational spectrum, then add dark hoo-haw into that and we’d all spend 99.9% of the time just oggling what was around us.

neilthewheel

Into the Total Perspective Vortex!

jon1973
    Free Member

I had to scroll right down to the bottom before I found somewhere I could afford to buy a detached house with off road parking.

john_drummer
    Free Member

e are also pretty much the most dynamic part so far discovered!

…by us, that is. Who knows what’s been discovered by the bits we haven’t yet (knowingly and publicly confirmed to have) discovered…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

what happened to that dog then?

rs
    Free Member

arrrgggh! Don’t start this one again! I always end up thinking even if there is an edge, there must be something on the other side and that must be contained within something as it couldn’t just exist out of nothing, then I always think of the end of the MIB film and figure that’ll do as an explanation!

lemonysam
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_space_dogs

I think Veterok and Ugolyok went the furthest and they both survived

Jamie
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika

jambourgie
    Free Member

Awesome thread!

Cougar

Awesome thread!

Quite lidderally, mate.

Not hard to see why “god did it” is a popular explanation, the sheer scale of stuff (in both directions) is incredibly difficult for our little human brains to comprehend.

I think current observations indicate that the universe is flat and goes on for ever in all directions.

In that case each of us can claim to be at the centre of our own universe.

Which is sort of comforting.

Cougar

It can’t be flat and go on for ever in all directions.

Flat as in it doesn’t curve back on itself.

Cougar

Now my head hurts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How Big Is The Solar System?’ is closed to new replies.