How big is a double bedroom?

Home Forum Chat Forum How big is a double bedroom?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How big is a double bedroom?
  • Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

Is there a set measurement to define that a room is a double bedroom?

I am interested in a flat (which has communal gardens and 5 acres of woodland) which needs the kitchen ripping out. It's currently a 1 bed with a large living room, bathroom, a kitchen and a utility room. I don't need a Kitchen ****AND**** utility room so i was wondering if ONE of these could be turned into a second bedroom (single or double)/study.

john_drummer

if you can fit a double bed in it, then…

you don't need a kitchen???

tiggs121

Double bed + 6 feet all round would seem reasonable.

ChrisE

you're best to draw a double bed in (double =1.5x2m, king =1.8x2m, Super king =2.1x2m) then draw in the swing of the door and see what's left for wardrobes or whatever you want.

I suppose as long as a double bed will fit in then in the eyes of an estate agent it's a double but to me that's not enough

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Double bed + 6 feet all round would seem reasonable

Good luck finding one that big; that's huge!

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

To echo j_d, why no kitchen? Don't you eat?

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

I don't need a separate Kitchen and utility room, just a kitchen with washing machine in!

uplink

To echo j_d, why no kitchen? Don't you eat?

he said he doesn't need a kitchen and a utility room

As above – if you can fit a double bed in it, it will be called a double bedroom as long as there is a reasonable space around the bed of around 2 or 3 ft I would guess.

Be wary of making something without a kitchen – you would have to convert it back when you try to sell – I doubt there would be many other people wanting a house with no kitchen.

Perhaps design it in a way that it can be multi-use (small working kitchen and a decent fold out sofa-bed)?

EDIT: Sorry I misread the post too.

john_drummer

he said he doesn't need a kitchen and a utility room

I know, but he didn't emphasise the 'and' 😉

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

Exactly Skidartist, at least someone understood.

morpheus

3 metres by 2.5 metres would be my minimum but you'll find smaller described as double. some show rooms have been known to have small double beds just to make the room look larger.

oldgit

I agree with tiggs121 about 5-6' either side and about 6-8 in front.

oldgit

morpheus double that, that's smaller than a single room.

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

At least 3x the area of a standard double bed usually.

Double is 54"x75" = just over 28sq ft. So I'd expect a double room to be at least 84 sq ft, and have dimensions that mean a double can fit with a gap around it (ie. not a very long thin room!).

84 sq ft is a bit over 9×9.

mudshark

I thought the post was clear about the kitchen… 😉

Need to allow for some sort of storage in the room too I think.

oldgit

Sorry I read the first line of your post first time round, my measurements would be unlikely in a flat.

I agree with tiggs121 about 5-6' either side and about 6-8 in front.

That is around 16ft x 14ft. There aren't many *normal* houses with that size bedroom! Especially new builds. I reckon most modern houses have master bedrooms of around 10/11ft x 12/14ft.

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

The kitchen is currently 73 sq ft 8.4 ft x 8.7ft.

uplink

that's not even a single room

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

I'd be happy if it was a single room, I was just wondering if there was a set size that defines room sizes.

Tracker1972

As an estate agent I can assure you a room that will fit a standard double divan (190cm long by 135cm wide) plus 30cm at the foot and 40 cm along one edge qualifies as a double bedroom.
    Well, I am not actually an estate agent, but I have kind of picked up that feeling from looking around places…

morpheus

oldgit : I have a single 2.5m X 2m which is considered on the large size and a double 3.5m x 2.5m

I do prefer simon_g's measurements but new builds are likely to be of my measurements, not that I would buy one.

I've gone metric on rooms not sure why as i am 5'10''

GJP

I live in a 2 bed flat.

Old mansion block style so fairly generous proportions by modern standards or those in some conversions. The two beds are 13"3' x 11'3" and 12'6 x 11'3". This provides plenty of space for standard doubles and bedroom furniture or more importantly bikes!

I think simon_g has it about right for the lower limits 10 by 8 or 9 by 9. But to me these are double guest rooms and would provide very little space for storage.

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

So it might be a little small to be classed as a double room, but I could convert it into a single without a problem.

jonb

Are you doing this for your own benefit or to increase the resale. It pissed me off no end being shown "bedrooms" that you could barely get a bed in. If I'm looking for two bedrooms, I want two bedrooms and not one bedroom and a cupboard.

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

For resale value, for me the room will become a bike room, so they don't get too cold.

Premier Icon MikeG
    Subscriber

Why not just keep it as a kitchen and utility room then?

Although saying that our 3 bed semi's 3rd bedroom is exactly 8'x8' we can just fit a cheap ikea single bed, small bedside table and a 4' wide drawer unit/wardrobe in without fouling the door/window/radiator.

Premier Icon JCornford
    Subscriber

You get more money for a 2 bed flat than a 1 bed, even if it's a single room.

grantway

Mines 21ft by 11 ft
    To be honest has a guide line I would look at what
    council accomadation as they require a specific room
    size on all rooms.
    You may need planning permission has you may
    want/need to change the deeds.
    Or you could make it into a second bedroom But
    be sold on as a 1 stroke 2 bedroom But the
    property will remain a One bedroom flat.

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot
    Subscriber

I agree with Tiggs121. That would be great. Although I'd guess you'd either have to live in North America or be as rich as Croesus to have that much space around the bed. 6' all round! I thought we were OK with about 4' either side and 6' feet at the bottom. This is the most room I've had in any house so far. In many new builds good luck getting 6" all round 😉

5lab

there's a load of building regs around creating bedrooms that you should look into – for instance they need an external light source (window) of a certian size, some ventilation, power, fire regs and so on. Most of its fairly sensible but worth figuring in when you do your work. You'll probably find it easiest to move the utility room, as the kitchen should already have the requisit hot & cold water & waste & power which the other might not have

have a look and see the layout of any identical flats in the same block – might be a reason why its not a bedroom at the moment

avdave2

More importantly has the lounge got a chimney breast for your flatscreen?

Midnighthour

I have been in a modern estate house (not cheap) where the only (double) bedroom was so small they had to use a 'small' size double bed and could not put a wardrobe in the room as there was no space to open the doors. They could still only walk around one side of the bed and the foot of the bed. A whole group of houses were built like this and to accommodate the appalling size of the bedroom a "dressing area" was designated on plan which was the tiny landing at the top of the stairs! A friend of mine had her babys cot on said landing as the cot could not fit in the room.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How big is a double bedroom?’ is closed to new replies.