Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How big does a tyre have to be, to float on snow?
  • Northwind

Had a miserable couple of rides last year on kenda 2.35s- too big to cut, too thin to float, took me a while to figure it out- so before I go straight back to skinny tyres for the snow, I’m wondering if I could go the other way… Got a couple of 2.5 Nevegals, worth trying or still too thin?

druidh
    Free Member

Errr – depends on the snow.

mboy
    Free Member

Take a look at the 3″+ offerings from Surly… They seem to be pretty popular amongst those needing ultimate flotation…

A 2.5″ tyre will not provide you with what you want… Best bet unless you’ve got the clearance for a tyre nearly 4″ wide is to go for skinny mud’s for definite… Sorry, but that’s the way it is!

Northwind

Turns out that with low pressures the 2.5 actually does work, and carries the bike quite nicely over the top of drifts etc rather than ploughing through. Though the flipside is that it doesn’t grip too well on crusts and icy snow because at the low pressure it won’t bite into them well. So it’s a bit of give and take but still quite effective.

I suppose the forks do have clearance for vast tyres though. And my 729s are allowed a 3 inch tyre. But on the other hand a mahoosive tyre on a 729 would weigh more than the entire bike I think :mrgreen:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Errr – depends on the snow.

The right answer!!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Epicyclo to the forum!

epicyclo

You called?

About this wide 🙂

Actually about 6″ would be best IMO, but I’ll struggle by on 3.8″ for now.

singlespeedstu

This big.

100812_172339 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How big does a tyre have to be, to float on snow?’ is closed to new replies.