How bad will trams be after Ed Sheeran gig (Manchester)?…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How bad will trams be after Ed Sheeran gig (Manchester)?…
  • The wife, daughter and niece are booked in in a Premier Inn in Altrincham* this Friday night after the Ed Sheeran concert.

The concert finishes at 11.00pm so realistically there will be only 3 trams she could catch that would get her back before the trams finish – the last tram being the 23:49.

For the volume of people leaving at one go I think she’ll struggle to get on – but would I be correct?

(*on the advice of one of her work colleagues – I think it’s rather stupid).

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

3 tickets for the met and you’re halfway to an Uber fare to alti.

Give the tram a go like but I’d not bother if it’s heaving.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Yeah, just grab a cab.

At that time of night they’ll be able to experience the spine-tingling thrill of traffic moving at more than 5mph on the Washway Road to Alty. Thats a feeling not shared by many Manchester residents

The wife ain’t techy! Uber may be a step too far. 🙂

Would they be able to pick up a taxi outside the stadium or would they need to book one?

I’m tempted to tell her to drive up and back and not bother with the Premier Inn. We live near Derby so 2hrs ish each way.

Then do park and ride from Ashton.

mikewsmith

Avoid uber at that time after a gig, prices will be surging!!

at worst I’d try and get the tran to the city then cab from there

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

the stadium is attached to Victoria station and there is a black cab rank but there will be lots of people all thinking the same, I’d prebook

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Ed Sheerbore?

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

They’re going to an Ed Sheeran gig and your worried about the possible disappointment of waiting for a tram?

I’m worried about my wife, niece and daughter being stranded in Manchester on a Friday night. But, you know…

mikewsmith

Oh yeah and move to a hotel int he City, why anyone would suggest staying on the wrong side of the city I don’t know. Media City/Salford Quays hotels are at least on the same tram line as the stadium and tops of a tenner from Picadilly by taxi

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

Maybe look at walking the 15 minutes to Piccadilly and get the tram there.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Leave 5-10 minutes before the end and get the drop on the queues, there will be no bugger there.

At chucking-out time at the Arena the roads will be chocka.

Maybe look at walking the 15 minutes to Piccadilly and get the tram there.

That’s probably a really good idea actually – The Piccadilly tram to Altrincham is a different tram from the Victoria one.  The Piccadilly Gardens stop is closer to Victoria on foot than Piccadilly Station.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

They could always go “Full Salford”. Nick a car in town, rag it round the place for a few hours, drive it back at three times the speed limit, then torch it near the hotel

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

I think it’s at the Etihad, not the Arena?

mikewsmith

Yep out at the Etihad but advice to head to Picadilly stands also (along with changing hotels while you can)

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

If the trams were like they were after the Roses gig at the Etihad, and theres only 3 trams she could catch, then I can safely say theres not a cat in hells chance they’ll get on one.

Just walk into Piccadilly. I was going to say its dead quick if you walk down the canal, but theres some rum old goings on down there at night. I remember one night seeing a bloke being…erm…. orally relieved by one of the local working ladies who tend to frequent the area, and he still had his Tesco shopping bags in each hand. He obviously didn’t think he’d be long enough to be needing to put them down

Anyway… I digress…

Just walk to Piccadilly, but not down the canal

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I think it’s at the Etihad, not the Arena?

Ah, mia culpa.  In that case you’ve not got a lot of choice then, there isn’t a direct tram from out there.  You’d have to change at Piccadilly anyway (or a later station, which gives you the option of the Bury > Altrincham tram as well as the Piccadilly one).

15 minutes’ walk is ambitious, mind.  Google maps reckons 1.6 miles and 26 minutes on foot from Etihad to Piccadilly.

Sorted it – booked them a chauffered AMG Mercedes to take them back!

My wife’s dad died last Friday so she doesn’t really want to go at all (but her name is the main booking name), so I want to make it as stress free as possible.

It’s only money – you can’t take it with you! 🙂

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Good move. The trams will be awful if they’re full of Ed Sheeran fans.

retrorick

Glad you have sorted out the journey.

The last tram on a Friday evening from Picadilly station to Altrincham leaves at 00:31 so for anyone else who is considering this tram journey there should be plenty of time to leave the concert and get to Picadilly station for your trip home.

zzjabzz

My son knocks about with one of these two…

I’m not sure which one it is, but it’s definitely one of them…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How bad will trams be after Ed Sheeran gig (Manchester)?…’ is closed to new replies.