Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • How are you training in the last week and a half before Kielder?
  • miketually
    Free Member

Since I'm awake stupidly early, other things I wish I'd known last year:

Make sure you have all the required equipment with you at sign in, otherwise you'll have to go all the way back to wherever you're staying to collect it.

The T-shirts sized up a bit small.

If you're wondering whether to change your pads at Newcastleton or not, change them. By the time you have to change them, you'll be too knackered and you'll end up riding the last descent with no brakes.

If someone manning a feed station tells you they think it's just a little loop into the forest then 10 miles or so along the river bank to the finish, they're wrong. If you believe them, it'll make the rest of the race seem worse than it is.

The riders at the water station who are warning you about headset-deep puddles ahead are telling the truth.

I can do it.

djflexure

A nervous excitement has set in. Can work from home today. Kids back at school so house will be quiet. Probably go out for a short ride with my wife who is going to do the Great North Swim on Sun. To dos: (1) pork pies – the small ones – for drop bag. Thats it? Also have a selection of Mulebars and Torq gels. Will drive up from Brum tomorrow, stopping at my folks place in Durham before hitting Kielder. Staying at the YHA. Will get out on the bike once I arrive. Probably 15 years since I rode there.

paul4stones

Two lots of flapjack baked already today. Bike needs washing after last night.
    Out for a walk with the children today but might pop and get a set of brake pads later. Need to dig out my sleeping bag.
    Pasta for tea!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

ooooo, sleeping bag, good call, might be adjusting the sleeping arrangements in the campervan for the early get up (baby in with mum).
    Got most stuff ready I think, but it is spread out so will just have to pack up and go, today, at 1.00pm is the plan.
    About 5/6 hours in the camper with stops for nappy changes etc (yes, I am that worried 😉 ) so up a day early to relax/fettle/faff for a day.
    On the main campsite, look out for the tall VW campervan with brown stripes called "Sven Hedin". Come and say hello and check I have everything if you want, bring me something I have forgotten and there is a cup of tea in it for you!

richmars

Yes, getting very excited here. Last (first) time at Kielder was about 15 years ago when I did a mountain duathlon. Run up that big hill, do some mountain biking (on a solid Raleigh Dyno Tech), run up the hill again.
    Still looking good on the weather.

senorj

Glad it's not just me who's excited/nervous.

Bike is clean and I've decided to use my camelbak (2l bladder)for water – tubes stapped to frame.
    As for the drop bags, I'm sticking gels,cereal bars,nurofen and a lovely sausage roll(with a satchet of brown sauce!) in each of mine.
    If there are any cakes & 'nanas left then I'll eat that too.

On the down side the brake pads i ordered haven't arrived yet!
    and the rear tyre that was looking perfectly worn now has a slight tear in the sidewall.A$$cheeks.
    Dead chuffed the weather looks like being kind – in the back of my mind I was dreading a wet one.

I'm up on friday afternoon.
    Can't wait.

J.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't forget your midge repellent of choice
    if they're out, there's not many places as bad as Kielder

If you don't know what works for you, I'd pack Deet rather than chance anything like Avon as it doesn't work for everyone but Deet does

paul4stones

Midges will be out unless the wind picks up!

Tracker – have you got somewhere to park your van?

D0NK

Speaking of midges, whats best for keeping them out of your tent? Apart from keeping the dor shut obviously – any spray/odourisers or whatever they're called

richmars
    uplink
    Free Member

We used to have one of these – seemed to work quite well

warton
    Free Member

Make sure you have all the required equipment with you at sign in, otherwise you'll have to go all the way back to wherever you're staying to collect it.

+1, i had to do this, as they changed it from the morning to sign on for kit checking.

The riders at the water station who are warning you about headset-deep puddles ahead are telling the truth.

The highlight of last year. being warned, going through a hub deep puddle, thinking "thats not a big puddle", sinking up to the bars 5 seconds later. brilliant!

Gutted I can't do it, getting very jealous. I'll be back in 2011

drain

A short pootle round Glentress this afternoon, having come up yesterday to Scotland from Somerset and staying with my bro-in-law (who is also doing the event). Nothing heroic, more a chance to meet with some mates I don't get to see often (and consume cake at The Hub!).

Will spend a few minutes this morning bedding in a couple of sets of spare pads so they don't disintegrate in the damp. 💡

Other than that, just controlling the butterflies and getting a positive groove on.

Hope everyone has a fun time, all will be well. 8)

miketually
    Free Member

Still trying to refuel and rehydrate after Tuesday morning's sickness.

Last few things to sort tonight, the getting picked up by some random internet bloke at two tomorrow.

D0NK

Excellent richmars I presume you have one I can borrow?

I'm not going to ask what tyres but….I assume that despite the dry few days we've had it'll still be too wet for the dry tyres I bought specifically for this event? (I gave up all hope of using them a cpl weeks ago but not so sure now)

radoggair
    Free Member

The highlight of last year. being warned, going through a hub deep puddle, thinking "thats not a big puddle", sinking up to the bars 5 seconds later. brilliant!

and then doing the same again with the next puddle 10ft later 😛

Also, remember your chamois cream and nuun tablets

martyc
    Free Member

a big thanks to miketually for the race pace spreadsheet. printed laminated and fitted. all i've to do is turn up and pedal 😯

AndrewBF
    Free Member

@martyc Your steed is WAY too clean.

martyc
    Free Member

new spanky bottles and tyres make it look super clean but it'll not stop like that for soon 😉

miketually
    Free Member

a big thanks to miketually for the race pace spreadsheet. printed laminated and fitted. all i've to do is turn up and pedal

Ooh, you made it pretty. Mine's black and white, coated in sellotape and looped round the bars.

And I've only printed the 8MPH average:)

slaidlaw81
    Free Member

This sounds ace! i'm totally in for next year, better get training!!!

radoggair
    Free Member

This sounds ace! i'm totally in for next year, better get training!!!

Heard that soooo many times for this years event before the bottle got to people

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Just had an hours full on sports massage followed by a good stretch, feel ready to go!

slaidlaw81
    Free Member

radoggair – if work allows i'll be there. it's only 100 miles after all! 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘How are you training in the last week and a half before Kielder?’ is closed to new replies.