Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • How are you training in the last week and a half before Kielder?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

So what's the deal with all the mile markers? as there's only stations at

15 miles
    25 miles
    50 miles
    65ish miles
    75 miles

uplink
    Free Member

I think he reckoning that those are the checkpoints

32,55 & 78

miketually
    Free Member

Yeah, those are the time cut-offs.

miketually
    Free Member

Sent out several copies of the xlsx file tonight. So, I've bunged it up on Google Docs: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuKOuAY2FWIzdGFhekJtS1h2OUhHZmVldTFIcURrQUE&hl=en_GB (or http://tinyurl.com/k100geekout for ease of use)

Hopefully, that works okay. Scroll right for the 'bracelets'. Copy and paste into Word probably best way of printing them with a bit of control over font sizes and the like. The number at the top is the average speed, with 8 being the slowest you can go and still hit the cut-offs.

Last year, I managed 8 until the 78 mile check point. I must have died on my arse after that, as I didn't finish until 8:30pm.

Roo
    Free Member

Top Work Mr Tually.

I certainly need all the help I can get.

ittaika
    Free Member

cheers miketually!

last year i got the time wrong for the first cut-off point (thought it was 2.30 for some reason) AND set my bike computer up incorrectly so was really going a lot slower than i thought i was. d'oh…

trickydisco
    Free Member

Mike, How do you know the time cut off points when they haven't told us? Unless those are the one's for last year

(sorry for all the annoying questions)

miketually
    Free Member

The cut-offs are on the website: http://www.sip-events.co.uk/kielder-time.html

There are more checkpoints, which we're not told about, but they don't have cut-offs they're just to stop people cutting corners.

miketually
    Free Member

My bike's arrived 8)

Clink

My bike's arrived

yey! 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

Pics and pics 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ah.. i was getting confused between check points and cut offs (the bit where it says "There are 4 check points around the course, though obviously we're not going to tell you where they are."

miketually
    Free Member

Pics tonight after I've built it up. I'll also put some pics up of me taking it home from work on the back of my commuter 🙂

AndrewBF
    Free Member

It's only 0.5mph on the average speeds, but I'm calculating that 7.5mph (not 8.0 as above) is the slowest you could go with a minimum margin for error.

Start @ 0630hrs
    C/O 1 : 1400hrs (7.5hrs), 55miles = 7.33mph
    C/O 2 : 1530hrs (9.0hrs), 65miles = 7.22mph
    C/O 3 : 1700hrs (10.5hrs), 78miles = 7.43mph

This does mean that the average speed INCREASES from C/O 1 to C/O 3 😮 Unless that means that the 55-78 mile stage is all downhill 🙂

The bracelets are a great idea. Printed off and covered in Sellotape already.

miketually
    Free Member

The bracelets are a great idea. Printed off and covered in Sellotape already.

I'm wishing I'd put some advertising on them now 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Re: the mandatory kit list
    Do any of you 2nd timers know if a CO2 inflator counts as a pump?

djflexure

Thanks for the bracelet Mike. I'm using Co2. Made a big effort to get weight down plus get some of it onto the bike. Got a saddle bag and going with a bottle cage rather than backpack.

Would anybody who rode last year bother with a mudguard on the back? Stupid question I know but takes my mind off things.

miketually
    Free Member

I ran a Crud Catcher, but didn't bother with a rear guard. I'm pretty sure than Brant would disown me if I put one on this year's bike:

Ragley TD-1 Race Weapon by miketually, on Flickr

I do have full mudguards on the bike I used to bring it home from work though:

TD-1 on Yuba Mundo by miketually, on Flickr

djflexure

Looks like just the ticket. No mudguards then.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

My weekend training has started with a short stella interval session, now embarking on a long distance shiraz session. Crisps, garlic bread and spag bol have all made an appearance also.

I have decided that on the day I shall mainly rely on the goodies available at feed stations along with a few essentials secreted about my person. I think this cavalier attitude may just work for me. As for the bracelet….. well… I may wear my leopard skin lycras if the weather is inclement!

Kahurangi

I'll probably be running mudguards F & R.

Front will help keep the glasses clean and let me see where I'm going. If the glasses steam up if it's wet then I'll be less likely to be hit by debris or grit in the eye. Rear will help keep my bum dry, keep me warmer and in a better mood to continue.

You'll never notice the weight.

Silly not to if it's wet at all, really.

Though I'm just not a 'core as MikeT

trickydisco
    Free Member

Looks awesome Mr Mike T :
    Did brant give it to you then?

Kahurangi

p.s. Today's training is Rioja.

miketually
    Free Member

It's the Hotlines demo bike. Mine's not ready yet.

djflexure

Night training – vsop cognac – 2 reps

Might trial the mudguard tomorrow – going down to the Cotswolds to find some hills. Alternative is Gortex pants – although I think the arse has worn through which kind of defeats the purpose.

miketually
    Free Member

Had a spin out on the TD-1 yesterday with the kids. Just 10km our-and-back along an old railway line, but the youngest is only 4 so not bad really.

We're meeting a friend for a walk and picnic at Hamsterley tomorrow, so I'm riding there and back (25 miles each way). Just to give my legs a spin out and get used to the new bike, really.

Drac

Well I emailed Sara and that's my training schedule done.

Just need to pick up some beer on Friday and I'm sorted.

miketually
    Free Member

If I do go out tomorrow, Kielder will be my tenth ride of the year 🙂

Drac

Hhahaha that's slack.

miketually
    Free Member

Only two of them were less than 100km though – when I popped to Dales Bike Centre for a coffee in January I only did 90km and the short HTN in February was only 15km.

Ride log: http://mactually.co.uk/index.php?cat=11

And my ride to work's a huge 5 mile round trip 🙂

djflexure

Did 25mile yesterday, broke rear derailleur. Thanks to Scott's cycles in Brum for replacing it instantly; they also got rid of my squeaking cranks so I won't have to ride on my own any more.
    Just done 90m today on road – ate a bit more than I usually do and finished in good shape. Bring it on.

djflexure

Oh, my dad wants to come up and take pictures. Anybody know where he might find a good spot, relatively easy to access?

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I rode (on road) over to my mums yesterday, a steady 60 miles, Thats training done for me now 😛 Gonna give the bike a good clean today, was hoping to fit in a quick service pre Kielder (I'm a tech virgin/numpty) but that prob won't happen now, so will just give the drivechain a really good clean and lube and hope for the best.
    May have a couple of steady rides in week just to stay loose.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Had a disaster of a final training ride today 🙁 Decided to do the CVMBC route (it passes a mile or so from home) and was going fine until 26 miles and then just died. I've never had total fatigue like it. Had to get off and walk up that last 1/2 mile of the Pennine Way climb. Was hoping to extend the ride and get maybe 40 miles in but limped home just after 30 miles.

:S Odd. I've never experienced anything like that before. I was taking SIS drink and fluids etc. 🙁 Averaged 7.7mph – including the walking, so am still just on the right side there.

I'll put in a quick 16mile loop in later this week then it is in the lap of the Gods.

Ah well, the only way is up from here.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Andrew, that is a very severe route, I'm sure the climbs won't come as thick and fast (and steep!)at Kielder, just a bad day mate, you'll be fine.
    I took the easy option of a flattish ride for my last one to boost confidence a bit. Good luck.

miketually
    Free Member

Went for a walk at Hamsterley with the family and dogs, so I rode up there to meet them and then rode back aftwerward.

There: http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=2882492
    Back: http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=2882495

glenncampbell

Haven't really had the time to get some serious rides in so have just been doing 30 – 40 mile road rides and some 30 mile off road rides. Am now officially worried as I'd normally do 50 – 60 mile off road rides before something like the Kielder. Oh well – nothing grovelling up the hills and being sick loads won't help 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Spent most of last night walking between the bed and toilet throwing up. Good training.

uplink
    Free Member

Spent most of last night walking between the bed and toilet throwing up

If that's the case, you can go on the rack & you're new pimpy bike frame with wheels can go in the car

I don't do puking in my car [any more] 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

🙂

Feeling a little more human now after a day on the sofa. Even managed to eat two whole slices of toast!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘How are you training in the last week and a half before Kielder?’ is closed to new replies.