Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • How are you training in the last week and a half before Kielder?
  • djflexure

Wondered how everybody was shaping up? Any last minute long rides planned for next weekend? My legs are knackered having done 110 miles on the road yesterday. Might have a quick spin tomorrow and another light ride later this week. Considering 80-90 on the road next weekend then gently tapering (having a rest).

sockpuppet

i think you've missed the point of stw; no one will be doing any training

we're all just wondering when to start discussing tyres – all the prep you could need!

djflexure

You're right. Maxxis Ignitor front; Larsen TT rear – worried that the rear could be a touch tacky in the dry or get clogged if its muddy. Stuff the training I need to change tyres.

MrGreedy

Just lost a week of riding to a bad cold so I'm going for broke with a weekend at Dales bike centre, followed by a week of more or less total rest. Got plenty of miles in my legs but not many hills! Fire XC Pro FTW (because that's what's on there at the moment)

radoggair
    Free Member

Whats this tapering everyone goes on about?

I'll be doing my 5 x 76 mile daily commute, 2x 35 mile (tues and thurs night) club training, a 60 mile saturday morning club ride plus on my 2 days off some mtb riding ( albeit very medium paced). Prob take friday off day before and race on saturday.

This week will be all about checking bike is fine ( new chainrings, chain and brake pads going on and will bed them over 2 or 3 rides)
    Will leave my specialized tyres on cos thats all i have and there pretty fast rolling
    Next week will be sorting food and drink out

cynic-al
    Free Member

shame radiogear, if there's any truth in your regime you could prob do ok if you eased off a bit. That would be gay tho

radoggair
    Free Member

exactly , and i couldn't be looked upon as being gay.

samuri
    Free Member

There's no way though, that the people who will win are doing that sort of mileage/time on a bike, unless of course it's you.

I'm just carrying on as normal. I was very crap last year and bugged out after two punctures, complete brake failure, 95% gear failure and a very poorly back. This year I just want to finish so I'll not be pushing hard at all.

radoggair
    Free Member

There's no way though, that the people who will win are doing that sort of mileage/time on a bike, unless of course it's you.

Why not though? .TDF riders are doing 5 – 6 hours a day on their bike with only 1 or 2 rest days all tour, and even then they ride on their rest day. I'm not saying i'm pro level but i do alright

IanW
    Free Member

Reckon you'll be ok whatever tyres Mr G.
    I on the otherhand have a few days to loose a stone, find some legs an lungs or at the very least think up a good excuse.
    Is that the dog eating all my psp22…??

miketually
    Free Member

Whats this tapering everyone goes on about?

I'll be doing my 5 x 5 mile daily commute.

This week will be all about trying to find a bike or making mine not shit (bodging the BB, making the brakes work, putting the rigid fork back on).

Will leave my Mountain King tyres on cos that's all I have.

Next week will be sorting food and drink out.

😉

djflexure

Why not though? .TDF riders are doing 5 – 6 hours a day on their bike with only 1 or 2 rest days all tour, and even then they ride on their rest day.

They do all start to look ill as the tour goes on though and there is a certain rate of attrition. That said sounds like you'll get round. It will be a bit more touch and go for me I'm afraid. Looking for a psychological edge. Perhaps small pork pies in the drop bags is the answer.

Drac

I'll be drinking beer and talking shite.

Still planning on coming over and offered to be a dogs body to Sara. Forgot about accommodation though. Oh well something will work out.

samuri
    Free Member

You can kip in my tent Drac, it'll be quite cosy seeing as it's a two man and you'll have to be quiet.

I've got a race in the morning you know.

I really should go out for a mountain bike ride at some point before the race mind.

jonb
    Free Member

140 mile road ride last Sunday, I'll be out this thursday on the mtb and over the bankholiday twice. Once on an easy ride with friends and once on a 50miler stretching my legs and doing final kit prep. In the week leading up I'll just be doing my normal commute and skipping the Thursday night ride. Probably do one 20 mile ride Wednesday/Thursday. I find I get lethargic if I rest too much before a race but I do notice if I take a few days off that I feel fresher. My main aim will be to get proper nights sleep in for the week (hence no night ride) as that effects me most noticeably.

Kahurangi

Did the kielder Calling a week ago. Still have a bruised arse.

Had a very chilled out weekend just gone, no riding fri/sat/sun.

Bak into regular commute: 15 miles each way mon/tue/thu/fri, night ride wedesday. Do some relaxed mtbing over the weekend. Commute tue, mtb wednesday, chill thu and fri.

Closet lazyboy, I like my days off in the name of 'tapering' 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Forgot about accommodation though. Oh well something will work out.

I've not organised that yet either. Really should.

Drac

Ah cheers Samuri that's that sorted then, see something always works out.

I may bring a bike over, as much for fleeting between places as anything so probably the Jake. And fookin' big lock.

Shandy
    Free Member

Phone the campsite, a nice lady will take your name for the "event-only" overflow camping. Give somebody a fiver on arrival and you're sorted.

I did a couple of long road rides last week, I'm trying to get out at for a couple of hours at a quickish pace every day this week, may do a 5 hour ride on Thursday and then a couple of very easy runs next week. If I take long rests I feel really sluggish when I get back on the bike.

Drac

Or I could take Samuri some beer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

Why not though? .TDF riders are doing 5 – 6 hours a day on their bike with only 1 or 2 rest days all tour, and even then they ride on their rest day. I'm not saying i'm pro level but i do alright
    That's when they are racing. You are training, and also tiring yourself out with a full time job.

Shandy
    Free Member

Radoggair, fair play to you for putting the miles in, but have you ever considered that you might be addicted to exercise?

I used to kick about with a Scandi girl who had issues, when we suggested that she took a day off she would say something like "I had a day off a couple of weeks ago". She used to keep herself going with enormous amounts of cereal, every now and then the sugar rush would wear off and somebody would find her asleep somewhere, like at her desk at work, or sitting on the pan.

DanD
    Free Member

Training was going well. A few 90 and 100+ mile road rides this summer with plenty of short, hard MTB rides. Felt good after two 7-hour MTB rides last week.
    But then I got sent away by work at short notice on Tuesday. Hope to be home tonight for a short road ride or turbo session, which would be my first ride in four days. But I could be stuck here until Sunday, which would mean a whole missed week. I'm free all week next week when I had intended to be taking it easy and tapering. Should I stick to that plan, or does anyone have alternative suggestions for final week prep, given that this week has been almost completely written off?

Shandy
    Free Member

I would be tempted to do a decent ride early next week if you've had time off, or maybe one or two short, sharp ones. It depends how well you usually recover. You are better getting out there and realising that you feel pretty good and are looking forward to the event, than resting and worrying.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I did an 83 mile off road on Sunday over the chilterns. Out for about 10 hours. This week I haven't done much. Might do a couple of short rides on the road bike.

Still debating whether to buy a suspension seatpost to make things easier on my super stiff scandium hardtail. Also not looknig forward to the 5 and half hour drive to kielder.

miketually
    Free Member

I don't need to train, because I've a lighter bike with bigger wheels arriving tomorrow.

🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

I don't need to train, because I've a lighter bike with bigger wheels arriving tomorrow.

IS that a ragley by anychance?

miketually
    Free Member

IS that a ragley by anychance?

It is indeed 🙂

numplumz
    Free Member

Just done 4 days of Stanes trails so I remember how hard all that climbing was 😉
    Popped into newcastleton on way back, trails looking ace except for the bit they used before the soup stop, the forestry have totally wrecked them, even the fireroads….mudslop hell.

You can do it this year samuri

martinh
    Free Member

Does it have a built in electric motor?

miketually
    Free Member

It's a weapon!

miketually
    Free Member

Last year I made some cue sheets on sticky labels and stuck one on my top tube. It gave the distance to Snack, Water and Food points and the time I needed to get there to maintain at 8mph average.

#k100 crib sheet – 8mph version by miketually, on Flickr

I found it really useful, but it was illegible by the time I got to Newcastleton.

This year, I'm going to print onto paper and coat in sellotape, then loop it round the bars, like a bracelet (inspired by marathon pace bracelets). Overall distance, interim distance, point, type (food, water, bag collection), time cut off, time to meet average speed.

Kielder Pace Bracelet Spreadsheet by miketually, on Flickr

If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet – miketually AT gmail DOT com. It's got the bracelets for 8mph to 13mph average.

Drac

If you want them laminated Mike I have one here I've never used I could print one of I do it. But as I'm such a disorganised feker best to have your sellotape back up.

miketually
    Free Member

We've probably got a laminater at work somewhere, actually. Good point 🙂

Drac

Lol I did wonder. Sellotape doesn't last long if it's heavy rain.

samuri
    Free Member

I'm seriously impressed with Mike's effort there.

You can do it this year samuri
    You gave me one of the best racing tips anyone has ever told me last year, pity everything broke.

miketually
    Free Member

I'm seriously impressed with Mike's effort there.

It's all done automagically 🙂

That last 28 miles with no water or food stops really stands out when you list the interim distances…

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ruddy hell. Seeing this sort of thing is making me worry. I haven't got a bike computer and i wasn't even planning on havinga watch!

miketually
    Free Member

Ruddy hell. Seeing this sort of thing is making me worry. I haven't got a bike computer and i wasn't even planning on havinga watch!

If you're going for a really fast time or trying to avoid the cut-offs, it's more important. If you're confident you'll finish in 10 to 12 hours, you don't need to think about it.

I don't have a choice of tyre, so this is the alternative to pondering tyres 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I'm going to use the 'Virtual Partner' thingy on my Garmin & plan to be an hour over the minimum time at the hot food stop & then manage that hour for the second half

That's the plan, the reality is likely to be a bit more chaotic

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘How are you training in the last week and a half before Kielder?’ is closed to new replies.