Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How are the cheapo Deore brakes lasting?
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Any opinions on them or how they compare to Slx brakes

Edric64
    Free Member

My Deore disc brakes are fine 9 years old never been bled or the fluid changed

granny_ring

Just taken mine out for the the ‘twice up and down the hill bed in ride’ so too early to give proper feedback yet.
    The front with a 160 rotor doesn’t feel very powerful but hope that improves with use?

Edric64
    Free Member

Im 16 stone and have always used mine with a 160mm rotor and find them fine

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m asking about the ones that are on CRC at the mo.

slowrider
    Free Member

Wicked, no discernqble difference in performance than my xts.

My brothers had his a year and they are ready for a bleed now

zippykona

My feel excellent, very happy.

granny_ring

Yes they’re the ones I’ve got.

righog
    Free Member

which version ?

I have both the new Deores and SLX on different bikes both with 160 rotors and I can’t tell any difference. Been swapping tyres around a bit and this really makes a difference how the brakes feel.

I also bought some of the cheapo ones from CRC but they are still waiting to go on.

But saying this is still prefer my Hopes, the stopping is about the same but i get more feel from the tech levers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My pads have vanished in a under 100 miles and the rear needs a bleed now.. hmm

richietea
    Free Member

Brilliant brakes,fitted kevlar pads and they stop great.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 10 year old shimano 525s which are still great.easy to bleed.beats the shit out of avids all day long! The other big plus with shimano is they know how to shape a brake lever 😀

giantx4
    Free Member

Running mine on trancex4,try not to use em too much,but when have to, they are sweet!!,thinkin of hope floating discs tho, but keep levers & calipers! 🙂

kayak23

I have the XTs on my Mega and the Deore on my hardtail. Can’t fault them really. Brilliant for the price. When I pull them they stop me, and that’s good in a brake.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

7 year old m525s. Bled twice. Perfect.

Harry_the_Spider

8 years. Never bled.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got the new Deores in my HT, the standard resin pads lasted all ‘summer’ and they were fine, then I swapped for disco sintered and the stopping power went right up.

Proper good brakes

SOAP
    Free Member

Shimano Deore Brakes BR-M486 are £39.98
    Shimano Deore M575 Disc Brakes are £55.38
    Shimano Deore M596 Disc Brake are £77.98

All ridiculously cheap for a pair of brakes

eugeo81
    Free Member

Put a set of M486’s on the OH’s bike from the CRC Bargain PSA, flipped levers and bled just to be sure, so easy to work on and plenty of power. Rear hose was a bit short for her frame, but I fitted a new one from Merlin (BH-90 – £12). Only used on the odd pootle, not in anger yet.

Last week I put a set of the Bargain M575’s from CRC on my Inbred. Lots of air in the factory bleed and a bit of a faff to get them bled up compared to M486’s. But now they are working they are very nice. Hoses are plenty long enough (Rear had to be cut down to fit my 20″ inbred). Also comes with the little yellow bleed funnel thrown in for free from CRC. Plenty of power with my xt rotors, not rode enough to give a detailed account of how they are yet.

granny_ring

For bleeding the 486s do you bleed top down or from the caliper up?
    You dont use the funnel on these do you?

nickc

another with 5/6 year old 525 with goodridge hoses (get her!!)

every now and then I look to replace them…and realise that I’m wasting my time…

eugeo81
    Free Member

486’s are top down bleeding – very easy, let gravity do its thang, just keep the reservoir topped up.

The funnel is for the M575’s.. bleeding them is not as easy as M486’s, but they are not as much of a ball ache like avids usually are. I put the tricky bleeding down to the awkward shape of the lever reservoir.. tipping it forward and then backward on the bar with a few depresses each time of the lever gets the air out.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How are the cheapo Deore brakes lasting?’ is closed to new replies.