Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)
  • How are PlanetX these days?
  • dragon
    Free Member

I think Easyjet are far to good to be sullied with being like Planet-X / On-One. Brant’s company are more like Del Boy and Rodders, flogging any old cheap Chinese tat. Just replace Peckham for Rotherham, and the pub for the internet.

hora
    Free Member

Everytime I see ‘Planet X’ I still read it as Planet Kiss.

hora. X

nickb

That Pickenflick that they just emailed me about does look very, very nice though…!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I just go direct to China like they do 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Pickenflick

Hilarious! 😐

njee20
    Free Member

Simple fact is ‘mmm…I wonder what it’s really supposed to weigh?’ would not cross the mind of a normal person.

Have you not noticed the number of threads about weight saving on here? Normal? Probably not, but neither is spending many thousands of pounds on something to go and play on in the woods.

edward2000
    Free Member

I brought a KMC Chain from Planet X. It arrived far too short to be of any use. So i assume it was a cut and shut job of other chain spares which they have cut to length. I didnt bother complaining because I had heard about their service so i cut my losses and took it on the chin.

peteandsoo
    Free Member

I had my moan a couple of days ago sent them a mail and got a polite response with an apology and a suggested resolution. they have certainly worked hard to resolve the issue. fair to say based on how they have handled the situation I would heartily recommend them to anyone. Things go wrong and often the mark of good service is how the company handles the issue-full marks top Planet X

jackthedog
    Free Member

I brought a KMC Chain from Planet X. It arrived far too short to be of any use. So i assume it was a cut and shut job of other chain spares which they have cut to length. I didnt bother complaining because I had heard about their service so i cut my losses and took it on the chin.

I had this problem with a PX chain, but I found a workaround that you might want to try. I took my bike to a frame builder and had him chop out the rear triangle and fit new shorter stays around a 20″ rear wheel. That way the chain could reach fine, with the added benefit that it’s great for wheelies. In case I ever buy a normal length chain I had the forethought to have custom-machined 700mm long track end dropouts fitted so I can just move the wheel back until it goes tight.

Northwind

nickb – Member

That Pickenflick that they just emailed me about does look very, very nice though…!

Cor. Yes it does.

edward2000 – Member

I brought a KMC Chain from Planet X. It arrived far too short to be of any use. So i assume it was a cut and shut job of other chain spares which they have cut to length.

To be fair, not necessarily… Could have been specced to that length for an oem then sold off as excess. Or, could have just been wrong from the factory.

edward2000
    Free Member

To be fair, not necessarily… Could have been specced to that length for an oem then sold off as excess. Or, could have just been wrong from the factory.

Possibly, but it also arrived in a clear bag (excluding postage bag). Kmc chains come in a neat little box, further compounding my suspicion.

Northwind

Sounds oemey tbh. As much as I like the idea of Brant staying back late attaching chain leftovers together so he can sell them, probably in the dark to save money on the lecky, it doesn’t seem that likely.

(but I do keep my chain remnants myself, and some day…)

Bazz

(but I do keep my chain remnants myself, and some day…)

I thought i was the only one sad enough to do this!! It’s taking a remarkably long time to gather the required amount though 😀

As for PX/OO i’ve had two orders since the new year, slower than usual but all has come good and i have no complaints.

Euro
    Free Member

Have you not noticed the number of threads about weight saving on here? Normal? Probably not, but neither is spending many thousands of pounds on something to go and play on in the woods

Not really noticed those threads, but will now you’ve brought to my attention 😀

I’ve never really been bothered about weight myself. Some of my bikes feel what i would consider lightish for what they are, others are pretty chunky. I’ve never been inclined to weigh them tbh. Don’t see the point.

You’re right about us bicyclists being a nutty lot, but you have to admit, if spending big money on a mountain bike is weird then worrying about the weight of it’s tyres takes it up another level or two 🙂 (this is coming from a man who is often found alone a field, brandishing a spade 😀 )

scotroutes

Folk chasing weight savings (say for racing purposes) will happily spend over £1 per gram saved. It’s not therefore too difficult to see why an overweight tyre might not be a good investment.

fatmax

For balance, I’ve never had a problem with their orders or kit.
    A cheap merino top got slightly shrunk in the wash, but wor lass admitted to not reading the label & washed it too hot.
    Their Scandal 29 was a great bike for the cash…but mine got nicked.
    I’d use them again, no worries.

ruffride
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB – Member
    I just go direct to China like they do
    POSTED 16 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Where ?

lee-bee
    Free Member

I got a 29er scandal might of been good as geared setup but single speed was shocking as I couldn’t get the swap out to fit. I ended up going and buying a file from b and fileing it down to fit. I mailed on one but they did not help me resolve this problem. From now on I will stick with the likes of cannondale etc. I am currently looking for a new tri bike but wouldn’t dream of buying Planet X now.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I ordered a rigid carbon fork in the Christmas sales, got an email from Planet X the other week saying they were out of stock and I’d been refunded.
    Bit peeved, as I’m sure when I ordered they were expecting stock mid-Jan.
    Was a bargain too at £120-odd.
    Guess I’ll take my chances with the direct-from-China lottery now…

birney29
    Free Member

Of all the stuff I have ordered from them, the only issue I have is the stuff actually arrives on my doorstop before I get the email confirming dispatch!

Will happily continue using them. How many other companies would have a rep like Brant who comes onto the forum to help people?

scotroutes

birney29
    Free Member

Scotroutes – plenty.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

…to add to the above, I’ve used On One for years and have had nothing but positive experiences until now.
    My Ti456 is as close to my perfect bike as I’d ever hoped to achieve…

al

The Pickenflick is made by Waltly. I doubt they’d just make a copy using PXs drawings, but they might. Ask ’em.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I like you Euro! You spur me out of my voyeuristic world and encourage me to enthusiastically don my keyboard warrior outfit.

RE weighing tyres (Totally OT, I apologise).

Why? When you spend a proportion of each and every day day towards becoming the best you can possibly be (i.e. get engrossed in racing).

Why? When you devote 10 hours plus per week to putting yourself through discomfort in order to gain that magical feeling referred to as form.

Why? After reducing your race bike to the very barest of necessary function in order to tweak your power to weight ratio a fraction of a point in your favor, to enable you to close that 1,2,5 second gap in a 1.5hr race, yes 1 second over 90 minutes,

WHY? Would you not be royally pissed off when your Shwalbe, (the creme de la creme of lightweight racing tyres), arrived as lunking great wads of useless overweight rubbish not fit for gracing your racers’ bin let alone your thoroughbred steed.

God I love the internet!

andypandy85
    Free Member

I rang a couple of weeks ago to ask about one of their Titus bikes as the info I wanted wasn’t on their website. Can’t remember the blokes name, but some of the info he knew, the rest he just guessed I think. Sent an email instead to confirm in writing what spec some of the parts were so I had it in black and white, not heard anything back in nearly 2 weeks. I wouldn’t mind, but the automated email said they should reply within 24 hours or 72 hours if they’re busy.

Taking my business elsewhere for important things. I’ll still use them for socks and cheap bits though…

dragon
    Free Member

I’ll still use them for socks and cheap bits though…

Don’t their socks are terrible quality. Try Woolly Boolies, Endura or GoreWear instead. They may be pricier, but they last.

d7391
    Free Member

shit, in my experience. still waiting for an order, that was placed in 2013.

downgrade
    Free Member

Ordered a bike from PX at the weekend – not due to get it until next week buy they have been helpful with various things so far (takes a while to get through on the phone though 😐 )

hofnar
    Free Member

Utterly disgracefull I order on sunday and already get my stuff today the other side of the channel in the middle of nowhere though. Just a pity my main item seems to have dropped 10£ in price in those mere days same when I ordered during sales about 4-5 days from order to the sticks. I take longer driving to a properly stocked shop from my place.

big_scot_nanny

Ordered an inbred frame on the 3rd for the wife’s birthday on 18th (this saturday), along with some minor bits to finish build (cassette, chain, headeset etc). Bit of hassle with cassette as to whether in stock or not, and what to do with whole order.

Eventually refunded for XT cassette so i can get the frame and bits released and sent. Not exactly CRC, but sorted quite quickly.

Box arrived yesterday – all the bits – no frame.

FFS. Jesus Christ. etc. etc.

Never. Again.

EDIT: date correction for clarity

honourablegeorge

dragon – Member

Try Woolly Boolies, Endura or GoreWear instead. They may be pricier, but they last.

Have found Endura socks to be utter rubbish. With you on Defeet though, anything of theirs has lasted YEARS

iolo
    Free Member

One One / Planet X’s lack of defence on this thread says it all really.

cyrilswan
    Free Member

Ordered a Ti, had confirmation it was being built only to be told over a WEEK later that they haven’t even got them in stock 👿

Was offered a refund, which I said I wanted, then heard nothing for another week. An hour on the phone later, no refund had been processed.

Eventually had refund confirmed. Annoying part was being made to feel like I was over-reacting for being fed up with them. And called ‘mate’.

Will take business elsewhere.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

iolo – Member

One One / Planet X’s lack of defence on this thread says it all really.

Maybe Brant’s in China tweeting about the noodle bar he’s in.

duckman

Great,not feeling too confident about my chances of being able to buy one adjuster for their fancy brakes….

hora
    Free Member

I wonder what the Chinese think when Brant turns up? I imagine they think the band REM is touring and queue up for autographs?

dragon
    Free Member

Maybe Brant’s in China tweeting about the noodle bar he’s in.

Is that euphemism?

ska-49
    Free Member

Embarrassing for O-O/P-X when an ordered from a German budget online store arrives sooner despite ordering later… and they actually answer their phone.

scotroutes

To be fair, they always answered the phone when I called. It’s just that none of the promised return calls ever materialised. I became convinced that Dave didn’t allow outgoing calls.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘How are PlanetX these days?’ is closed to new replies.