Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How are conditions in the Lake District now, & pleas recommend a killer route :)
  • jhw
    Free Member

Had a brutal couple of weeks in the office/at home, so storming off and heading for the hills. I’ve heard conditions are beautiful in the Lakes right now (partly through photos on here!), though clearly I’ll be checking the forecast carefully before I set off. I’ve got until next Wednesday and was thinking of heading up for a couple of nights sometime then, whenever the weather is best.

Can anyone recommend a good ride/gpx? Something with views, flow, hike a bike isn’t a problem if the trail justifies it…basically anything that is not London will do.

Anything near a nice little B&B/hotel would be great, especially.

The Surrey Hills are visually stunning right now but I’m after something a little bigger!

grumm
    Free Member

I hate to tell you this but it’s gone pretty drizzly and miserable in the last couple of days, in Lancaster at least – has been lovely recently though. 😛

How long a ride are you after roughly?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its rained quite a bit in the South Lakes over the last few days:

Friday – Rain
    Saturday – rain (went for a road ride and it was pretty wet at Grizedale)
    Sunday – Bit of rain
    Today – Rain

pdw
    Free Member

Weather forecasts for the Lakes always need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I was up there the weekend before last: two beautiful days, two mixed days, and one non-stop rain day. Pretty average for the Lakes and only a passing ressemblance to what was forecast.

I’d just get up there, plan to get wet, and be happy if it’s not. There’s plenty of trails that remain good even when wet.

All the routes that I’ve done in this book are good:

My favorite crap weather route is this:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/cycle-routes/gpx//20100406-grizedale-marathon.gpx

It’s a combination of the Grizedale route in the book and the North Face Trail. Most of it is very well sheltered. But if you’re lucky and get sunshine get somewhere high up!

stevestunts
    Free Member

I’d recommend avoiding moorland trails at the moment round the South Lakes – everything I’ve checked out has been soaked through and not looking like much fun to ride.

The trails around Dunnerdale in particular are knackered at the moment, due to two groups of absolute bellends ragging round them on crossers a couple of weeks ago.

djflexure

Here at the moment. Poured yesterday + overnight – meant to be better today. Rode around Grizedale and Claiffe first two days. Most tracks fairly rocky and so fine. The tracks around Grizedale seem really good and I am sure it would be an excellent place for you to start. Haven’t tried the NFT yet.
    I normally like epic days out but have enjoyed two to three hour rides, then back in front of the fire. The riding is quite hard (both up and down hill on these rocky routes) when you’re not used to it.

snakebite
    Free Member

Do you want my Saturday slayer route? courtesy of help from SFB and linked to other stuff in around Grizedale, Claife, Parkamoor etc? can ping a mmo file over if so.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Seatoller – Honsiter pass – warnscale bottom – scarth gap – black sail pass – wasdale – sty head – stockley bridge – seatoller

1700m, about 6-7 hours. a great day out.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Don’t know about the weather at the moment but here is a killer route. There’s definitely hike-a-bike involved too. I’m up in the lakes this weekend but my legs won’t get me round this route at the moment.

50km and 2k of ups and downs.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bx7leiiMk5U7YjFmODI1ZTYtM2I1ZC00NjU3LTllZjctMDNhOTY5ZTBmMDM5&hl=en_GB&authkey=CN239gY

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bx7leiiMk5U7ZTNkMDU4NjEtNzE0Ny00ZmU3LTg4ODQtNzEwN2JlNmJiNmY4&hl=en_GB&authkey=CJ7oy9YC

Craggyjim
    Free Member

freeridenick: I’ve done a similar loop to yours but the other way round. We started at Stonethwaite and headed up to Angle Tarn. The descent from under Esk Hause to Sty Head is brilliant. Heading down under Gable is challenging but fun. Scarth Gap to Gatesgarth is another corker, even the boulders at the top were fun. We headed up and over Honister on the road. What’s Warnscale Bottom like in descent?

jhw
    Free Member

Thank you all – these look great. There is so much to do – I’m going to have to make more than one trip. I will see what the weather’s doing this week and particularly whether I can rally a crew – the Lakes solo in November might be a push! I’ll post pics when I do it.

freeridenick
    Free Member

warnscale bottom is really good, some super tech bits.

I must say , I would not want to do my route backwards. the trails are far better going the way I went! plus you dont have to go down the road at the end!!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have been keeping an eye on the weather there all week. I am going to be riding Whinlatter on Friday, but it doesn’t fit your killer loop requirements and as I am dead slow and not a technical rider I wont suggest a meet up 🙂

Craggyjim
    Free Member

FRN: I’ll have to try it your way next time. Although I would be very sad to be missing the Esk Hause to Wasdale descent which is one of the best descents in the lakes imo. I can’t even ride it all. There’s hike-a-bike down for a short section. One day…one day.

(Click pic for more)

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yes we walked up that section from wasdale
    I would say from looking at it that Blacksail and warnscale would be better (and the whole circuit rideable on the descents)
    some pics of the route (between the 2 sunset shots)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71958789@N00/sets/72157625146971356/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How are conditions in the Lake District now, & pleas recommend a killer route :)’ is closed to new replies.