Housing benefit, how can I…..Part 2.

Home Forum Chat Forum Housing benefit, how can I…..Part 2.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Housing benefit, how can I…..Part 2.
  • So it transpires that my tenant has been claiming housing benefit for a considerable time & not using it for It’s intended purpose, (Shock!) like giving it to me so HE can live in MY house!
    So up to now he’s lost me 5.5K in rent arrears & solicitors fees. πŸ™„

The nice lady at the council couldn’t confirm whether or not he was actually claiming but said at one point, ‘ok, I’ve stopped his payments from today’ πŸ˜•

As I said before, I wouldn’t mind soo much if he’d made some attempt to pay & kept the property in decent condition. As it looks now I’ll need to get the Deep Cleaners in, scruffy git.

bradley

Unfortunately it’s morons like him who make it difficult for genuine people like me to rent with HB.

Junkyard

Is their a question there?

I suspect those who flamed you will be along shortly to apologise not be along to sympathise with you you house owning corporate scummer

yunki

Sounds to me like you left the poor guy no choice.. I’ll bet he was a decent guy til you dragged him down you heartless money grabbing bastard πŸ˜€

Oh come on Junky, you poor thing, don’t be nasty. One day I might put a roof over your head. (but only if you cough up) πŸ˜‰

Anyway, the bailiffs are finally moving in & I hope it’s on Xmas Eve. 😈

patriotpro

I trust one of the sympathisers/do-gooders took the poor fella in then…

I trust one of the sympathisers/do-gooders took the poor fella in then…

Oh & did I forget to mention…his son lives with him (& is working) & the tenants dad lives about 200 mtrs away.

Some silly arse said on my original post, ‘maybe he intends to catch up with the rent, you should cut him some slack’ (or words to that effect)

Yeah, whatever.

jambourgie

Sorry to hear that you’ve not got your rent mate. I think though, being a landlord is one of those morally grey areas of making money. A bit like being a money-lender. There’s so little affordable housing in this country, and rents so unfairly high, that in general, landlords are seen as feeding off the misery. A bit parasitical as it were.

No doubt a lot of landlords see their tenants as parasites: By not paying their rent intentionally rather than not being able to. I’m not making any judgements about you personally, but saying things like “Anyway, the bailiffs are finally moving in & I hope it’s on Xmas Eve” doesn’t help your case.

That’s just me though, I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this point of view, but personally I couldn’t be a landlord. It just wouldn’t sit right.

I know what your’e saying Jambo, but he’s/they are were paying Β£375 a month for a decent size (albeit 2 bed) house with a massive garden & loads of outside space. That used to be in a decent state.

jambourgie

Wow. Well in that case you’re clearly not in the camp I mentioned. Where is it? I’ll have it πŸ™‚

All the best

πŸ™‚

Wow. Well in that case you’re clearly not in the camp I mentioned. Where is it? I’ll have it

About 4 miles of Durham City.

hammyuk

Sorry – but he is a piss taking thief!
    Fair play for letting him get away with it for so long – I certainly wouldn’t of done.

6079smithw

“Ain’t moving til the bailiff comes! Got no weapons gonna get me some!”
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvuC53JSg_Q[/video]

nealglover

I know what your’e saying Jambo, but he’s/they are were paying Β£375 a month for a decent size (albeit 2 bed) house with a massive garden & loads of outside space. That used to be in a decent state.

Where is it ? edit. Just seen above.

Sounds good for the money.

(Once it cleaned up obviously πŸ˜‰ )

winston_dog

About 4 miles of Durham City.

Not sure which direction mate. But that covers some seriously dodgy areas! πŸ˜€

If it’s Sherburn or Sacriston and he’s a local then God help you! πŸ™‚

On a more serious note, as I said previously, I was a reluctant landlord and tenants can be complete arseholes! Real background stress you just don’t need.

Good luck and I hope you can get something back.

If it’s Sherburn or Sacriston

Bwaaah. It’s Sherburn (Village, not Road!)

I was actually born & bred there & to make matters worse I actually went to school with the fraudulent scruffy ****! (which was about the last time I saw him up to renting the house to him.

*How much to fumigate a house?*

winston_dog

Good luck mate!

The council will be happy he’s really your problem!

trail_rat

Brilliant. Renting out houses is a morally grey area. That is brilliant.

Wise up.

The council dont want old social housing – that have been told to get rid of expensive social housing ( meaning anything they can profit off )

So where do these tennents go after that ?

Dormitory ? Homeless shelter ? Shanty town ? Or a private land lord who provides a supply and demand service – a bit like a pint of milk. Perhaps shops are a morally grey area as well ? Pure profiteering it is.

Suppose you live in a communist state as well do you ?

winston_dog

trail rat – Did you see the 1st thread on this? That really brought the sanctimonious hand wringers out?

Along the lines of “you heartless, evil man, you should help him stay in your house for nothing and it’s your fault the place is a mess, have you spoke to him about his problems?”. Even by the standards of STW it was ridiculous!

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

Apologies , didn’t see the first thread but Β£5.5 k in arrears and solicitors fees?? He’s either not been paying rent for a very long time or you have an outrageously expensive solicitor.

Coincidentally, I was in a house yesterday where it had been left in such a state by the previous tenants, that the owners Brother had been living there for months while trying to make it habitable again……. and that’s in Lanchester, with the tenants parents living next door!

Lol @ jambourgie – that’s a cracking first post on this thread πŸ˜†

b r

tbh It was pretty obvious to anyone that a percentage of tenants who are given HB will not pass it on to their landlords, pretty obvious that is to all except a Govt Minister…

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06291/paying-housing-benefit-direct-to-tenants-in-social-rented-housing

damascus

How did you let it get so bad? Why did you not take action quicker before it got to 5.5k? Contrary to the above comments you must be a saint or really lazy.

If your tenant is claiming housing benefit and he gets more than 8 weeks in arrears you just need to provide your local council with proof and they will then make further payments direct to you.

winston_dog

you just need to provide your local council with proof and they will then make further payments direct to you.

Is that true?

I would find it hard to believe that any Local Council could achieve anything as complex as that in less than about 6 months and hours of work. They are the most inept organisations in the Country. They make BT look like the SBS.

damascus

It depends on your local council. There are over 400 councils. They are also under funded and have had to get rid of a lot of staff. BT make millions and outsource their calls.

If a tenant is more than 8weeks in arrears you need to ask for a SAFE decision. I. E. They cannot manage their own finances and they are at risk of eviction. If you provide proof and the tenant does not disagree to your records the payments should then bepaid to the landlord.

If you visit your councils website they will publish stats onhow long it takes to action a change in circumstances (on average) to give you a rough idea on how long it should take.

You will notice a direct corralation to the increased times vs budget/conservative government.

winston_dog

They are also under fundedwasting a lot of cash and have had to get rid of a lot of staffemploy a sensible amount of people to do the job.

FTFY

I’m sorry Damascus but I just can’t agree. Any dealings I have had with local councils have been incredibly difficult. I have dealt with about 5 over the years and they are all hopeless.

To say they’re underfunded is correct, however, they should reduce numbers and prioritise services as appropriate.

FWIW I’m no Tory but local authrority waste is shocking at times.

I’ve learned a lot with this one! Like that if I’d known he was actually claiming in the 1st place (he kept saying he was ‘waiting to hear from the council’) I could’ve had at least some of the rent paid direct to me.
    My solicitor is a bit useless but it’s too far down the line to change. They screwed up when one of their secretaries left & hadn’t sent any paperwork to the court to start proceedings. It was only when I rang for an update 8 weeks later that I found out.
    The courts are slower than the solicitor.
    The Council are very helpful (yes really)
    I’m useless & naive in these matters. 😳
    If a tenant is issued with section 8 eviction letter the housing authority step in but then take ages.
    He’s soon to evicted & then be the council’s problem.

How did you let it get so bad? Why did you not take action quicker before it got to 5.5k?

I started proceedings after I hadn’t been paid for 12 weeks @Β£375 per calendar month. It’s only now that It’s cost about 5.5K. 12 months @375 = Β£4500 plus solicitors/court fees.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Housing benefit, how can I…..Part 2.’ is closed to new replies.