Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Housebuyers – mines and mining
  • STATO
    Free Member

Ok, buying a house and have a concern.

The solicitor noticed (while i was on the phone complaining about something else they were being useless at) that they have a report stating there is a mine entrance near the house we are trying to buy. Apparently its directly under the house 2 doors down and it ‘needs another report’ (i.e. they want more money!). Also mentioned they would be informing the lender as it might be an issue.

Any suggestions on what this might mean for us? anyone been through the same (mines i mean, not incompetent lazy solicitors).

Had a dig around as I knew the area had been subject to mining in the past and it suggests mining in that location ceased early 1900’s, which ties in since these houses have been here since late 20’s. Other mining in the area did carry on till 50’s i think tho, so maybe still a concern?

Any thoughts?
    Cheers.

aP
    Free Member

In the late 70s a rather elegant Edwardian road-house pub about half a mile from home disappeared in 2 weeks in July. A mine shaft had opened up beneath it and it had to be demolished.
    So, yes, a disused mine shaft a couple of doors away ** might ** become a significant issue.

Drac

disappeared in 2 weeks in July

Maybe it was just on holiday.

STATO
    Free Member

So, yes, a disused mine shaft a couple of doors away ** might ** become a significant issue.

Yeah, but i think that puts 90% of homes in northern England at risk 😆

meehaja
    Free Member

whilst some people may argue that west and south yorkshire disapeering into a giant hole, creating an epic 100 mile bombhole type feature might be good for the economy, it’s not been a problem for us yet. paid for a mining search, told there are mines, figured if my house goes, a few dozen others are going with it!

That said, mine’s (fnar!) not by the entrance. Does that mean you could dig your basement out and have an underground bike park?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Our house is in a Coal Authority High Risk area, 3 different mines at various depths underneath. Claim made against the coal board for movement in the 80s. Bank weren’t bothered about any of it.

STATO
    Free Member

Thanks all, just a bit peeved with the solicitors. They have clearly had this info for weeks and only noticed as i called up to question something. Others houses in the street have sold so not expecting the worst (hopefully!).

Hope it does get resolved but whatever happens happens, cant change that.

lasty
    Free Member

Found out last year there is an old (C18th) mineshaft in my dads garden ..
    South Leeds is riddled with em but not been an issue since 1933 when my grandparents moved into it as a new build.
    Dunno how things would go if it ever went up for sale though ..

Woody
    Free Member

my advice would be very careful and get proper advice from someone who knows about these things (structural surveyor?) with written guarantees and indemnities should they be wrong.

Maybe not such an issue on an older property but a friend at work bought a new house a few years ago and then discovered, after some movement, that it was built directly on top of a heavily mined area with his almost above an old shaft which had been filled in.

Upshot is that the solicitor blames the surveyor, who blames the builder, who blames the Coal Board, who in turn are denying any responsibilty and my mate had to make the choice of taking on them all with virtually no likelyhood of ‘winning’ for obvious reasons. Crap situation and he is stuck there for the foreseeable!

STATO
    Free Member

Cheers Woody, yeah i had thought of getting at least some sort of follow up survey, will see what gets done in the mean time and follow your suggestions.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I used to live in the NE and this is always an issue when you are buying a house.

As I remember it aren’t the “Coal Board” responsible if there are any issues? Not that you want your home to disappear into a hole but I think financially you are covered if it does!

honeybadgerx

Hi STATO, can you give me the postcode (or near enough) of where the house is? I can do a bit of searching for you if you like F.O.C. but obviously nothing to be relied upon/usual weasel words/etc. if you like?

STATO
    Free Member

That would be great thanks, email me (cant see yours?) and ill give you the postcode.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Housebuyers – mines and mining’ is closed to new replies.