Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • House viewings
  • dux
    Free Member

So, tonight i'm veiwing a house for the 1st time with an intension of buying it. Apart from the obvious, what should i be looking for. Anyone got anything for me that i might not have thought of? Or maybe problems you might have had? Any help gratefully received, Dux

wors

when you have viewed it, go and look it again a week after because there will be things you miss.

things like windows, boiler things like that see what condition they are in.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't belive one 'kin word that the lying estate agent tells you – check it

Go back on a Saturday evening/night & see what the areas like

Junkyard
    Free Member

go at night and see what the area is like then /noise etc kids on the street. Get out and walk around and get a feel for the area if you a re not familiar. Ask in local shop what area is like etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

blistered paintwork/staining – poss damp
    Mildew/staining on windows frames – poss lack of ventilation/condensation/damp air
    Inverted "Y" shaped cracks above windows/doors – poss broken lintels

If you get the chance, camp out in the car in front of the property for a while at night/late evening on a Friday/Saturday night to see if its on a pissed pub run.

montylikesbeer

depends on how old.

Condition of wiring, any recent works done that are certificated.

Likewise with the gas, ask to see copies of Corgi certificates.

Go around the rooms and look for damp or nasty smells.

Look up on the roof for signs of tiles loose or new tiles that may have been replaced.

Look at outside drains for "green mold" that indicates breaks in the pipes.

If double glazed look around the frames inside and out, look for any "clouding" on windows which might indicate a damaged unit.

Go up into the loft with a torch and a good nose.

All the usual stuff I suppose.

Aidy
    Free Member

Take pictures of everything.

Estate agents will look at you funny, but when you're trying to remember details later on (and compare them with other places you've seen in the meantime), they'll be hugely useful.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If there is a huge sandpit in the back garden, insist on lifting the cover. I viewed a house a couple of years ago which had a massive sandpit. I was reasonably convinced that it contained the disembodied corpses of several prostitutes and teenage hitchhikers, but the agent couldn't or wouldn't get the cover off. So I left well alone.

marsdenman
    Free Member

As the old saying goes –
    1st viewing is done with the heart
    2nd viewing is done with your head

so go tonight, fall in love with the place…

take a few days (preferably viewing similar properties in between) then go back and follow montylikesbeers clues…….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And check the view from upstairs – you have to make sure you have a young and beautiful neighbour to spy on.

GrahamS

Ask what council tax band it is in.
    Can make difference to your monthly budget.

dux
    Free Member

Thanks you lot, helpful as always. Right i'm off

theotherjonv

one more thing. If you're being shown round by the owners, really try hard to get on with them, even if they're not your type. If they hate you then they're much more likely to hardball you on price whereas if they think they're selling it to a 'friend'……

It won't save you £1000's but even £500 is £500

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘House viewings’ is closed to new replies.