Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • House under attack from bees.
  • zippykona

As it’s a nice day we have left the windows open. Each room now has about 10 bees in them.

Will get rid of them and shut windows. Can we expect them back or are they doing that swarming thing and then bugger off?

brant
    Free Member

martinhutch

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Sums up the thread title nicely.

locum76
    Free Member

Call your local beekeepers association. They’ll get the swarm in a box and then look after it. DONT KILL THEM.

si77

Have you checked if they’re coming down the chimney?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wev’e had 2 MAHOOSIVE bumblers in our bathroom lately (safely evicted out the window), they can only have come in via an airbrick behind the cupboard.

zippykona

We have no chimneys and they seem to have gone.

Hopefully they have a nice new home.

martinhutch

All settled in your airing cupboard. Or wherever you keep all the chocolate. Sleep tight.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

CountZero

Wev’e had 2 MAHOOSIVE bumblers in our bathroom lately (safely evicted out the window), they can only have come in via an airbrick behind the cupboard.

Quite possibly, they look for small dark spaces to build their nests, which are pretty small.
    I have an old shed in the garden, and the bottom of the door is broken away on one side. Every year, bumblebees nest somewhere in the shed, and you can sit and watch them flying in and out through the hole at the bottom.
    If I open the door to get tools out, they get really agitated, because they haven’t got the small dark target to fly towards, it’s just one big black space.
    I now try to keep the door closed as much as possible to avoid upsetting them.
    What with the bumblebees and keeping the hedgehogs fed and watered, along with the local birds, I sometimes wonder if I’d be better off with just a cat!

richardkennerley

Are they masonry bees? We have trouble with them, come back every year. We’ve had the whole front of the house landscaped and they still come back again and find new holes to go in.

Harmless but not great as they linger around the front door and get in the house.

sobriety
    Free Member

We’ve had a steady stream of bees coming into the house in the last few days, no idea how they’re getting in, but all different types so I’m pretty confident there isn’t a nest (it’s that or we have 3 or 4 different nests!)

Today we had a honey bee in, I opened the window for it and everything went quiet, so I assumed it had found its own way out, then almost trod on a very exhausted zub

Trapped it in a glass, gave it a quick feed (it went from almost dead to bouncing off of the inside of the glass) and sent it on its way

pondo

What did you feed it? 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

Honey, what else?;-)

pondo

Aa, ok – looked like a cough sweet or something! 😉

wallop

They like sugar water, too, apparently.

mariner
    Free Member

Are you sure they are bees and not Hoverflies?
    Always rescuing hoverflies from our garden room.
    We have a special net and jar especially for the job.
    My favourite is the Ichneumon wasp odd looking cove all legs and feelers.
    Well worth a stare at once in the jar then released back outside.
    Seems to be lot of large wasps about this year.

CountZero

Quite a few bees of various types around the garden at the moment, the Acer is in flower, and I’ve got a shitload of cowslips out which they seem to like. There’s also a bee fly around which hovers in front of the cowslips and pokes a long proboscis into the flower. I thought it might be a hummingbird hawk moth, but it’s a type of fly.

wiganer
    Free Member

You shouldn’t feed a bee honey from another bee’s colony. Just a solution of sugar and water is fine. You can’t guarantee you’re not introducing disease by feeding honey.

sobriety
    Free Member

Well, every day is a school day, sugar solution for them from now on. The only small ray of light is that at least it was proper local honey from a local apiary. So likely the correct composition, but no guarantee to be disease free.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘House under attack from bees.’ is closed to new replies.