• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • House sale just fallen through – help cheer me up!
  • missnotax
    Free Member

Damn damn damn….

Was expecting a phone call this afternoon to tell me when I was about to exchange on the sale of my house (currently vacant as i’m renting) – and instead I got told that sale has fellen through. My buyer has lost her buyer 😐

Currently waiting to hear whether the house i’m buying will wait (no chain), or whether i’ve lost that.

My house back on market as of today…

Any ‘I sold my house in a day’ or general cheery stories welcome….

stealthcat

We had a similar situation, and lost the house we’d been planning to go for.

We ended up with a bigger house, on the same road, but further from the main road, with easier bike access, which suits us far better…

headfirst
    Free Member

Back in the day I applied for my first teaching job in (Great) Driffield, in the middle of nowhere pan-flat East Yorkshire. I was gutted when I didn’t get the job.

A few weeks later I got a job which meant I now live in the middle of the Pennines! I’m so glad I didn’t get that first job.

I’m a big believer in that things usually work out for the best.

missnotax
    Free Member

Yeah, i’m generally a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Unfortunately though i’m actually starting my dream job on Monday so the timing on this is rubbish!! Can’t be done with all with on top of a total change in career 😐

I’m currently renting which is fixed until 31 Aug – so the question is, do I leave my house vacant and hope it sells quickly, or move back in? I guess it’s not going to sell and complete in 6 weeks is it, so i’ll be moving back in anyway at some point….

globalti
    Free Member

We viewed a house and fell in love with it…. then got gazumped. The answer is never to fall in love with a house, I guess.

dashed
    Free Member

A fair few years ago we fell in love with a house, had an offer accepted, instructed solicitors and then the vendors backed out of the sale when they found out we weren’t married (we’d never claimed we were!) as they were staunchly Christian. House went back on the market.

Worked out for the best though as relationship didn’t last 😳

missnotax
    Free Member

Crikey dashed 😯

I’m feeling a bit better now – I have a plan. I’m going to move back into the house i’m selling in a few weeks time as at least it’ll look better for selling then. Plus it’s closer to my new job so i’ll save a fortune on commuting. A bit of a faff but there you go.

Fingers crossed the lady i’m (hopefully) buying off waits – just had the bloody survey done on Friday too 😐

stealthcat

Oh, and the one I try to forget – we were going to buy a place, had ended the tenancy on the flat we were renting, and were all set to move in until our solicitor started to get upset about the leasehold setup.

We arranged to rent the new place for 6 months, and at the end of 6 months, couldn’t get out fast enough. Bad neighbours, cellar flooded, and the area was a lot worse than we’d realised. Again, the place we did buy was in a different league (as well as a different area!)

missnotax
    Free Member

Nightmare isn’t it…?

I feel happier now that I have a plan of action. And that i’m about to leave work to have a bloody great big glass of wine when I get home 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I and the current wife found a new house and we hadn’t even put ours on the market. Panic on. Put it on the market, cash buyer said he wanted us out in 6 weeks, as he wanted his daughter to start in the local catchment school then. Major panic on then. We moved 8 weeks after that date and had 2 houses worth of stuff to sort and ‘allegedly’ a sh*t load of bike stuff 😉

missnotax
    Free Member

Ah wonderful – and just to top off a monumentally cr@p day my ex has just phoned to tell me all about his new girlfriend 😐

Super.

Kit
    Free Member

Chin up!

a) You’re off to ride some sweet trails in sunny hot Utah with a ‘friend’ ( 😉 ) in a couple of months! Something brilliant to look forward to anyway.

b) You’re starting your dream job!

c) Forgive me, but your ex sounds a dick, so you’re clearly better off without him – winner!

😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s nice of him, but think of it this way..

The other week i was having a beer with an old mate when he told me that his (previously) pregnant partner had run into my ex fiancée at an ante-natal class. He wasn’t sure how I’d react to being told that my ex was pregnant so had held off telling me.
    My reaction? To shrug and say “thank god its not mine”

😆

singletrackmind

Why would he do that? Its hardly the first thing that goes through your head is it.
    I know , I’ve got a new g/f so I shall immediatly ring up MissNoTax and share my joyous news .
    unless he was a pompous arse and just wants to rub your face in it?

spooky_b329

It can happen.

We viewed a few houses to see what we could get for our money. Found a nice one, no chance of getting it as ours wasn’t on the market but at least we knew there was stuff out there that met our expectations.

Spent a couple of weeks sorting ours out, put it on the market, before it even got onto Rightmove the agent sent a couple to view it using the old ‘its not on the market yet so get in there quick’ trick, and we sold it to them a few days later for near enough the asking price.

Quick second viewing on the house we’d already seen, second offer accepted and a fair bit less than we expected to be pushed up to.

Obviously it went a bit downhill from there with demands from the other vendors, but the actually selling and buying was over before we really started!

Good Luck 🙂

missnotax
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂

(And in my ex’s defence he was without doubt doing the decent thing letting me know himself, rather than me hearing from mutual friends. Not that this makes it any easier!!)

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, I’ve been exchanging emails – lots and lots of them – with a customer in the States. After over 40 emails, some very long and detailed, she ordered a Rohloff Brompton, a £3000 bike. That was on Saturday.

This evening I got an email saying that she had now tried riding a bicycle and it made her neck hurt, so she wanted to cancel the order.

So I know how you feel 😉

dashed
    Free Member

I have made the “I need to tell you about me new gf” call in the past, not to rub someone’s nose in it, but out of respect so they heard it from me and not via mutual friends.

I was on the receiving end a couple of days ago though – shitty to hear but answers any last niggling “what ifs?” I might have had. Helps in some ways… 😕

Chin up Miss N, you’ll sell your house for more money and meet someone way better 😀

ononeorange

Cheer up Miss N, as all the above. Review the whole thing in 12 months time and realise just how much it was all for the better (but was just pretending not to be).

hora
    Free Member

About 10yrs ago friends of ours lost (1-2k, I think it was closer to 2) when the seller decided at a very late stage that they’d sell to a gazumper. Back then it was ALOT of money to our friends (and us) to lose. Made me angry too the way that they were handled/treated. At the time I think the estate agent was abit of a ****.

missnotax
    Free Member

Morning 😀

Thanks guys! Back to my annoyingly cheerful self this morning! It’s all a bit pesky, but at the end of the day it’ll sort itself out one way or another, and moving back into my ‘old’ house will at least mean i’m closer to my fab new job.

Which saves petrol and means more money for bikes, right???! 😀

badnewz
    Free Member

Morning, that is the spirit. Have a great day 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Bloody stressful innit. Glad you are feeling better about it.

Having had one sale fall through we are currently crossing fingers and toes that everything goes smoothly with this one and we get to move in a few weeks.

DezB
    Free Member

Going through house buying/selling at the moment… christ, why do all the idiots we pay to do this job for us make it so damn stressful??
    Solicitors are a pain in the arse, estate agents are incompetent idiots!
    Mine should be easy, but I went to see the solicitors yesterday who told me the person I’m buying off wants to complete 3 days after the date I told them I had to be out of my rented accommodation! Ah ok cheers, I’ll live in the effin street for a few days then eh?

Lovely day out though innit!?

Edukator
    Free Member

Viewed from the other side of the channel this chain lark seems very strange. Here people just buy another house and get a bridging loan the time it takes to sell their own, or sell their own and leave enough time in the contract to find somewhere else to buy or rent.

Harry_the_Spider

Our buyer pulled out at the last minute. They had seen the place a couple of times then came back again with somebody from their church (WTF?). Next day we get the call that is all off.

The estate agent went mental because it would have blown a 6 house chain and 4 of them were on their books. Then they got on the phone back to another couple that had viewed it but had been outbid by the first lot. 1 day later it was all back on again, but we had to drop the price by a couple of £k.

missnotax
    Free Member

Yeah, you kind of can’t think about the money can you? This was literally as we were ready to exchange so I dread to think how many thousands i’ve just lost 😯

Ho hum…

bentandbroken

Chin up, the sun is shining, the local trails are (mostly) dry and you have a holiday booked!

Hopefully the rest of the stuff will sort itself out in time, just don’t think about the money bit 😉

spacemonkey

As others have said, chin up miss. Hopefully something better will make itself available to you. Is there much movement in the market near you? There’s none down here so buyers are sometimes fighting over properties. Had one fall through recently and now offering on another. Solicitor recommended by a friend was sh1t and rude. Agents: some are actually quite sound, others absolutely not.

You going out on the bike tonight? I ****ing am 🙂

Viewed from the other side of the channel this chain lark seems very strange

Friends in Sweden seem to buy houses in a matter of days/weeks without any complications whatsoever. They simply find a house they like and hand over the money. Simples.

grum
    Free Member

Viewed from the other side of the channel this chain lark seems very strange.

Seems very strange viewed from here too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘House sale just fallen through – help cheer me up!’ is closed to new replies.