Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • House Rent question? Help !
  • jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Hello all.Been renting for a good 4 years now & the landlords pondering to sell it on now.
    Just wondering how long is he notice he can give me to GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE ? LOL

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends on what is in your lease but probably two months from the day your rent is due

mrmo
    Free Member

you will get 2 months, although he may sell with you as a sitting tennant, but i doubt it.

Landlords are scum and don't seem to consider that they are playing with peoples lives.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Some tenants are scum too mrmo. Though I'm sure the OP isn't.

Tbh now is not the best time to sell so landlord must have a reason

enfht
    Free Member

Landlords are scum

😆

mrmo
    Free Member

having been evicted twice because landlords wanted to sell up colours my outlook a little.

Stoner
    Free Member

Landlords are scum

some landlords, if you please.

Personally I lost about £20k in value when I chose not to give my tenant notice in September 07 because I decided I wanted to sell, because they'd only been in the flat for 6 months so said Id let them stay for 6 months more, by which time the market had turned south.

Ive also offered my current tenant a rent holiday/discount because he's recently been made redundant.

mtbfix
    john_drummer
    Free Member

'Evicted' or 'given notice'? There's a huge difference

d0ugal
    Free Member

you have to be served an S21

this requires you to leave two full months ending the day before your rent due date.

take today's date for example, 8th oct
    let's assume your rent is due on the 1st of the month

if your landlord gave you an S21 today
    it would be two full month PLUS the remainder of this month

so you would have to depart by 31st dec 2009

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

why is someone scum for owning a house which they rent out then deciding they no longer want to own the house and rent it out?

Very odd.

Nezbo
    Free Member

This is what happened when my neighbour got evicted…

some-dk-has-set-my-next-doors-house-on-fire

mrmo
    Free Member

MF, because your playing with other peoples lives, who pays for the costs of finding a new property? the time off work, who pays the removal costs? Where do you find the new deposit, where does the cost of agency fees come from, etc. The consideration of how your going to get to work, if there are kids what happens about schooling, etc.

If you choose to move you can find the money and budget for it you can arrange your life, if the landlord decides they want to sell up you have no options you can't appeal, you have 8 weeks to find the money, to find a property, to organise moving stuff, etc.

If you want to buy a second property to let fine, just do it in the knowledge that it is someones home and not a quick way of making a few quid, which is how alot of people seem to view it.

There are crap tenants, but from my experience the landlords/agents are the ones who cause problems, refuse to fix problems, retain deposits, "find" problems when you move out.

You get served notice, then the landlord decides to with-hold part of your deposit… so your even further out of pocket.

Stoner
    Free Member

then the landlord decides to with-hold part of your deposit

virtually impossible now thanks to new laws.

Where do you find the new deposit etc.

from the old one?

If you lease an unfurnished house you can sign up to a proper lease with decent notice periods and finite terms rather than an AST.

ASTs work in furnished flats/houses because the upheaval is much lower.

mrmo
    Free Member

Stoner, re the deposit, you don't though, you need the money for a new deposit before the old deposit is paid out. Assuming that the old deposit is returned you should not loose out, but that has been a big assumption IME.

I got hit under the old law and hopefully the new rules will be better.

As for Leases, i haven't come across anything other than ASTs, it benefits the agent/landlord more so it is their preference. As a tenant you don't tend to get much option.

I moved a couple of weeks ago, and what basically forced the situation was finding a house that we could afford to rent in an area that fitted our lives.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF, because your playing with other peoples lives, who pays for the costs of finding a new property? the time off work, who pays the removal costs? Where do you find the new deposit, where does the cost of agency fees come from, etc. The consideration of how your going to get to work, if there are kids what happens about schooling, etc.

They aren't playing with other people's lives at all – what tosh. They aren't a social service, they are people that own a property they decide they no longer want to rent out. They have absolutely no obligation to the renter, just like the renter has no obligation to stay in the property if they don't want to. Do you ever hear about landlords crying because someone has left their property and they now have to find the money for the mortgage payments and the council tax and the insurance and the water rates…

FFS – reality check needed.

BTW – I am not a landlord. I just don't understand the reasoning.

mrmo
    Free Member

MF, the landlord has a choice about how they invest their money, they can invest it how they please. The tenant picks a home to live in.

The tenant may leave, the Landlord knows this from day one and should ensure they have factored this into their investment strategy.

The landlord may serve notice on the tenant, and the tenant now has to uproot their life. The tenant can live their life on the basis that in 8weeks they are going to have to move, not much of a life! But the tenant unlike the landlord tends not to have a choice about housing, they tend to rent privately because they can't buy the security owning their own home provides, and because they can't get the security a council/social house provides.

If someone wants to buy to let fine, i haven't got a problem, the problem is too often the landlord forgets that their are other people trying to get by in life being f***ed over by their actions.

mrmo
    Free Member

and i have heard landlords moaning that they will have to pay the council tax etc….

gonefishin
    Free Member

The tenant may leave, the Landlord knows this from day one and should ensure they have factored this into their investment strategy.

The landlord may serve notice ont he tenant, the tenant knows this from day one and should ensure they have factored this into their lifstyle.

HTH 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blame dear Thatcher for the end of secured tenacies for most people. Yu used to be much more secure than you are now in rented accomodation.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and i have heard landlords moaning that they will have to pay the council tax etc…

So do you think they deserve sympathy? Any more or less sympathy than you, as a tenant, does?

Also, because the landlord has started to rent out a property, do you think they then should be duty bound to continue to rent it out ad infinitum as they now own what is someone's home?

And agree as gonefishin has already pointed out above.

If you don't like the rental situation then buy a home.

stumpy01

Sorry……but I can't believe mrmo's arguement is nothing but a wind-up?

So….someone buys a house to rent out. You sign a contract and presuming you read it; KNOW that there is the possibility that you will need to move out at some point in the future as you are RENTING the house. It is not YOUR house……
    ……the owner of that house has no obligation to do anymore than what is in the contract that you signed & agreed to. Why should they feel any obligation to keep you in the house, regardless. They have a life too, so why should they pander to your needs?

For all you know, they might need to sell the house as they have just been made redundant or are expecting a child & need the capital to buy themselves a bigger house or sell the house so they have money to put their children through university…….why should they consider your feelings/situation above their own?!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Some landlord will make people sign a notice when they move in (often people don't notice, or know what it is)
    one local landlord round here that I've heard of will not rent to you unless you sign it either
    this means they can get you out as and when they want
    and it's completly legal! (My partner works for council housing dept)

did you sign one?!?

john_drummer
    Free Member

In 1990 I bought a house to live in. Then in 1997 I discovered I didn't want to live their anymore due to the scum tenant in the next door house.

I couldn't sell the property as (a) nobody would buy it and (b) it was worth 33% of what I paid for it.

So I moved out & put it up for rent.

Mrmo clearly has issues with ALL landlords as a result of two bad experiences.

Question mrmo – hhave you bought a house yet or are you still renting? [Edit] still renting I see.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

People who own homes are allowed to tell people they rent it out to to leave – what a shock.

mrmo
    Free Member

I don't earn shed loads of money unlike some here, i am not in the position to buy a house, whether i ever will is another question. I also earn money and am not a single mum so a council house is never going to happen. I rent privately because i do not have a choice.

But i have a life and i want to live it in the knowledge that i can go home at night and know that tomorrow i won't find a letter saying the landlord has decided to sell up again. I have been there twice, pick up the post and find a letter that says you have two months to get out. The holiday goes out the window because you need to find somewhere to live and you need the money to pay the deposit, the inventory fee, the agreement fee, the check in fee, etc.

and note there is a difference between a home and a house, to a landlord it is a house, a pile of bricks, an investment. To the tenant it is a home, a place to live.

Why are the British so obsessed with home ownership unlike most of Europe? because as a tenant you have no rights, you can't paint the walls, you can't model the garden as you see fit, you can't even change energy supplier without permission.

If you want to go in for buy to let fine, but do it as a business not as something on the side. cost it properly work out the exit strategy, make sure the numbers add up.

For instance the property i am renting cost 2/3rds of the monthly mortgage cost if i were to buy it. How can that be sustainable? and the rent is normal for the area. I know that the house was bought by the current owner 8 years ago, and the rent would be more than the mortgage, what i don't know is what the owners plans are, i don't know if they intend to sell in 6 months or 6 years or never. Some of the other properties i looked at i know the rent is less than a repayment mortgage on that property, so you know the landlord will have to sell at some point to repay the mortgage.

I just wish the market was skewed more towards people and away from investments, houses are places where people should be able to live, to raise a family etc, they should not be a place where you are never quite sure of what tomorrow will bring, where you need to keep a pile of boxes just in case you have to move.

mrmo
    Free Member

I got served notice twice in 7 months, it does nothing for your well being and i know of plenty of others who have been in the same situation.

I shouldn't have said all landlords are scum, ( bad day at work, notice served then retracted!!!), there are tenants who are as bad i look around parts of Cheltenham and wonder how people can live with rubbish, broken washing machines etc, all over the garden, how they can go next door and rip out the copper pipes, trash next doors car etc.

Maybe it is naive to want to live in a clean house with a nice garden etc. regardless of whether you own it or not?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Clearly you have had some bad experiences but you say

but do it as a business not as something on the side. cost it properly work out the exit strategy,

I am sure most landlords do but what would you expect an exit strategy to be other than sell the house? I know it must be a right royal PITA to have to keep moving but perhaps you should vet your potential landlords thoroughly and have a contract guaranteeing a minimum term with a financial penalty if they want you out sooner? You should also only consider rentals from people who have a number of properties where you could make the assumption that it IS being run as a business, not just a second home being rented out. And ask for testimonials from previous tennants.

john_drummer
    Free Member

You could buy my rented house for £55k. Would you be able to get a mortgage on that?

It's near Leeds if that's any good

RichPenny
    Free Member

Commute from Leeds to Chelternham would be off putting I'd have thought! I can totally understand where you're coming from mrmo. TBH, most of my ire was reserved for the letting agents who seemed to stiff both parties equally. I had a great private landlord for 5 years. He lived next door though, so I guess he had an interest in being friendly.

I do get the feeling that most people commenting have not actually rented a property for a while. Renting is immensely frustrating for a large number of reasons. Being told to buy a house when you can't afford it BECAUSE loads more people are using housing as an investment vehicle – annoying. Vetting landlords is impossible if you don't know who they are. Unfortunately, the massive majority is let through agencies rather than privately.

gonefishin
    Free Member

do get the feeling that most people commenting have not actually rented a property for a while

I was renting up until August this year. Whilst I appreciate that it's not plesant to be given notice, it is a fact of life. You could always go for a longer lease if you are that bothered.

mrmo
    Free Member

John_Drummer, thanks for the offer, yes i could afford it on my current salary but i am being made redundant on 28th February , probably… (Piss up Brewery!) and i have just signed a new tenancy agreement where i am living.

mrmo
    Free Member

MF, yes the exit strategy is to sell, but do you go for serve notice then sell, or wait till the tenant goes they sell, give the tenant 6 months notice, sell with a sitting tenant etc.

It seems to me that sometimes the easy way is to kick the tenant out then sell rather than sell with a tenant in place. I don't know of businesses being kicked out when there landlords change so i am sure a similar method can be used?

stumpy01

I rented properties with friends while at Uni and after graduating and moving to Cambridge I lived in 3 different rented houses over approximately 4yrs.

I think that it is the letting agents who really stiff you. I moved in with some friends who were already renting a place & it cost me £115 to be added to the contract. What did that entail – they posted me a standard contract, I signed it & sent it back. When i asked why it cost so much, it was due to 'admin fees' apparently. They couldn't explain how they justified £115 to print out a form, put it in an envelope & post it.
    They were also really bad at chasing up problems with the house.

2 of the three houses I lived at were fine with me decorating. I just had to tell them my plans and intended colours & received an e-mail confirmation that it was OK to go ahead.
    The third place I moved out of because the landlord was told by the council he had to install a fireproof staircase as it protruded slightly into the kitchen. This was going to cost too much, so he was putting it up for sale instead.
    What was stupid about this, the landlord wasn't allowed to rent it out like this as it was a safety hazard for the three early twenty-somethings living there. But, he could sell it to a family with a young child or children & didn't even have to mention it.

WipeOut
    Free Member

Landlords are scum

So you've never met me, but I'm scum.

Nice attitude.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think we established that 😉

ok, some (many) people can't afford to buy property in today's market, so they need to rent.

Some people don't buy houses as investment properties, they get stuck with a bad buy from decades earlier. What do they do, let it rot & continue paying the mortgage? of course not. They let the property. To the people that can't afford to buy. Supply & demand.

And then, after many years, as the market hits its latest bottom, they decide "I've had enough of this, now could be a good time to sell to a first time buyer". So where are all the first time buyers? Stuck in a 6+ month rental contract!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘House Rent question? Help !’ is closed to new replies.