Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 277 total)
  • House Music all night long.
  • jekkyl

You know how sometimes you forget a tune actually exists and then you hear it again and you’re like Wooooo! Well it happened to me yesterday listening to some random mixing on Mixcloud live.
    Suddenly it’s 1993 and I’m surrounded by 2 thousand other people, all going for it. 😄

Let’s hear your belter from back in the day or your up to date house banger.

sc-xc

Not a link to a tune, but between around 94-99 I spent most Saturdays at the Que Club in Birmingham.

A short film has just been released about it, a great watch for anyone who raved or clubbed in the 90’s.

(My tune pick would have been DJ Tim & Misjah – Access)

singlespeedstu

Cheers for posting that film up @sc-xc
    I’ll watch that later.

doris5000

Only went to the Q club the once, in about 2002. Trekked down from Manchester for Richie Hawtin. Was bumbling about looking for the cloakroom, came through a door and found myself on the walkway at the top of the main room, looking down at about 2,000 mental ravers, in what was surely one of the most spectacular settings in UK clubland. An absolutely jaw dropping moment! Followed by some jaw grinding moments, heh.

Here’s a classic I played at my last gig before long COVID slapped me down – the midnight slot at a largeish event on NYE 19/20. Most of the crowd were in nappies when it came out. But it still went off:

jimmy

This isn’t exactly classic house / club music, but it came on the radio the other day and I was immediately and really vividly back in a particular pub in chesterfield 1993.

This also had a similar effect recently.

temudgin

Joey Beltram – Energy Flash

NYC101009

Stella & Energy Flash absolute classics which I like to revisit every now and again, but mostly I’m looking for the new stuff here’s 4 that stand out from last year

NYC101009

Classic!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

OP – WHAT A TUNE !
    Remember going metal to that numerous times after far to many disco biscuits back in the day 😬😂
    Another thing, why is it that nowadays someone can introduce themselves and within 5 minutes I’ve forgotten their name, put a banging tune on that I haven’t heard for 30years and I can sing it word for word 🤷

Edukator
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what the song was that I saw regularly on MTV in the 90s. It was a techno/house thing and the vid featured a girl sitting on a train with countryside flashing past her. IIRC it was in black and white. ????

stanfree
    Free Member

A wee heads up for any Edinburgers. I spent NYE at MFSB or Mother Funkin Soulful Beats below the Street pub on Picardy place. It’s run by Yogi Haughton who has done everything from Northern Soul to Acid house over a long career . Anyway its a daytime club so runs from 3 – 10 and the two dj’s play old disco , house and soul . It’s kinda like the old Rhumba club type crowd. Very friendly and a small wee venue but properly jumping even for the 50 plus crowd. Most of the tunes are on vinyl , A highlight was Hwen Guthrie ‘Peanut butter’ the old Njoi sample .
    Anyhoo for a fiver It’s way better than sitting in a souless Embra boozer.

stanfree
    Free Member

@temudjin the Joey Beltram vid is mixed in with a great wee scottish film called ‘Beats’ about a night at a scottish rave. It’s absolutely brilliant but hard to find.

mboy
    Free Member

Only went to the Q club the once, in about 2002. Trekked down from Manchester for Richie Hawtin. Was bumbling about looking for the cloakroom, came through a door and found myself on the walkway at the top of the main room, looking down at about 2,000 mental ravers, in what was surely one of the most spectacular settings in UK clubland. An absolutely jaw dropping moment! Followed by some jaw grinding moments, heh.

Sounds rather familiar, except I’m not from Manchester! 😂

Far far too many original house tracks come to mind, I could be here all day just listing them… So decided to go for something that holds a personal significance, as it was the very first Vinyl Record I bought back in the mid 90’s…

Let’s keep this thread going guys! 😁

jekkyl

Come with me to the dance floor, you and me coz that’s what it’s for…

jimmy

@stanfree that sounds great, will give it a try some time, cheers.

@jekkyl
    👌

Merak

Joe

Just loving Marsh at the moment. Just what an incredible set.

jameso

Some classics here already.. True Faith and Denise Lopez – tunes from Shelley’s, Entropy and Legends, clubs of my youth.

How about JJ Tribute, a real peaker of a tune in all of them.

jameso

Just loving Marsh at the moment.

Worth looking up his sets for Anjunadeep on SoundCloud. #313 and 327 and there’s probably more since.

jimmy

That JJ Tribute was an old Fantazia CD I had and wish I could find a link to for this thread now. I’ll see if YT has it as a playlist…

al2000

The heaviest of heavy hitters :o)

https://youtu.be/NLCU4ZvBDSw

jameso

It’s the end of the night at Entropy. The last tune ends and a few lights come on. But a chant of ‘One more! One more!’ goes up, feet stamping on the floor at about 140bpm and drops of condensation fall from the ceiling. Goosebumps and shivers. It goes totally dark, one green lazer scans a horizontal line that slowly moves up and down through strawberry smelling smoke. The crowd go quiet and you hear the first strings of this tune and “ohahhh”.. liftoff, like a vapour rising under pressure, floating for a moment.. that lazy piano holds you for a moment and then it’s rolling and you’re consumed.
    “The rhythm is hot!” / Boom, the breakbeat kicks in, strobes and crowd go nuts together, 600 people bouncing in time.
    The greatest rave tune of that era I reckon?

a11y

Just loving Marsh at the moment. Just what an incredible set.

Also worth checking out sets of his on YT. Beach/sunrise set from Anjunadeep Explorations is superb.

Franky Wah ‘This is SHEN’ 30-track release is a belter too.

jekkyl

I’ll take you down, deep down…where love lives.

Nice Jameso👌🔥
    Entropy was in Stoke?

jameso

Entropy was in Stoke?

Yeah, above the bus depot in Longton. You could hear the windows of the bus depot rattling and vibrating with the bass from upstairs as you walked across the car park. It got shut down after about 18 months though.

A classic from the back room of Club Kinetic and pretty much everywhere else then, when house was rave and rave was house. LOVE this tune, still.

chakaping
    Free Member

My tune pick would have been DJ Tim & Misjah – Access

Choooon!

This track was similarly ubiquitous on the London scene in the mid-90s…

lunge

Que club, what a place. I suspect I crossed paths with a few people on here, spent many nights in there, Sundissential being the quintessential Que experience in my opinion.

Here’s a couple for you.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Sundissential being the quintessential Que experience in my opinion.

Atomic Jam was the one for me, I barely missed any from about 97 to 2003. Nice to see lots of love for the old place – which looks like’s it getting converted to a Hotel next year.

jameso

Narcotic Influence and Access … that flying through space at the speed of light kind of genre. Carl Cox just blew up Club Kinetic one night with tunes like that. ’94? When the scene was splitting into genres, a techno night with Carl Cox and Laurent Garnier, a load of happy ravers with hi-nrg techno rockets launched at them. I don’t think any DJ regularly generated as much energy as Carl Cox did.

This was another one,

Went to the Que Club a couple of times for more of that kind of thing, 95-96 I think. Maybe later. Wasn’t a fan of it there, it was too big and too many weirdo acid head lost-it cases, odd atmosphere. There was a real difference between the NW rave scene and the alternative psychedelic style nights, I thought. Ravers did it best.

Edit, seems like a lot of love for the Que Club, maybe the nights I went to weren’t good ones or maybe it was just a different thing by then. There was a big difference between clubs early to late 90s. I remember going to the Edge in Coventry in the mid 90s, mainly drum n bass there and it was a pretty moody, dark atmosphere compared to Entropy or Legends.

chakaping
    Free Member

Narcotic Influence and Access … that flying through space at the speed of light kind of genre. Carl Cox just blew up Club Kinetic one night with tunes like that. ’94? When the scene was splitting into genres,

Interesting to hear how it was happening elsewhere in the country.

I started out going to squat raves and they could be really great, but yeah there were always a proportion of casualties.

The scene down south was basically “handbag” or “hard” house / techno around that time IIRC, I favoured the latter and those two tracks in particular would get played by EVERYONE. Like Hardfloor’s Acperience a couple of years before.

I associate them with DJs like Billy Nasty and clubs like Sex, Love & Motion – one of the best little nights in London – did anyone else ever make it there?

soobalias
    Free Member

ta for the In The Que link, not seen that.
    i was back in brum briefly last year, first time since the mid nineties, digbeth just aint what it was, found hwat would be the entrance for the dance factory tho

tayls
    Free Member

Couple of my faves from the 90s

used to pitch it down and mix in the lonnie gordon acapella catch you.

and this stomper,

jameso

This thread needs more house music : )
    (OK it’s more rave than pure house, but rave + house were pretty much the same for a while)

Higher! Take me higher….

jameso

Don’t be afraid…

I can’t stop the feeling, I just can’t stop no

jameso

…just let the music motivate your mind

Blackflag
    Free Member

How come no one has put this one up yet. The definitive banger. Used to got bonkers to this..

NYC101009

Keeping the vibe going with a few more classics, think I can talk more about house music more than Mountain biking as it’s influenced a lot of life choices

Something New

chakaping
    Free Member

This is definitely the thread we needed this week.

I like that Jamie Jones track, feels modern and retro at the same time.

Love this one of his (remixes):

Blackflag
    Free Member

How could i forget this. This was released by a few mates of mine back in 92. Oofffff!

chakaping
    Free Member

This one always takes me back

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 277 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.