Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • House hunting
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

Went to view a new to me house this morning. Nice house but it stank of dogs (she has two little ones)…
    Will I be able to get rid of the smell or will it always linger on? Laminate flooring downstairs as well.

Second question – it has rent a roof solar panels on the back, a quick google suggests they can be a problem with the bank. Any real world stories?

tmass91
    Free Member

Smell will linger forever. You will 100% never be able to get rid of the smell. Don’t buy it.

Drac

Yes you can a good clean and some deodorising it will go, unless the laminate is piss stained then it may linger.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It’s not that kind of smell to be fair, it’s just general dog smell.

Drac

Then it’ll go as a good clean will sort it.

matt_outandabout

I agree on how difficult to get rid of the smell of digs, cats or tobacco.

We had all three. Threw carpets and wood floor out. Full bleach of all skirtings, doors etc. Full decorate.

nickdavies

Cats and old age in mine, whole house stripped, plastered, refitted, floored and decorated. Didn’t properly go till the plaster went on.

Suspect general dog smell will be ok, worst case carpets and curtains if it’s really bad.

ahsat

My parents bought a place that only dogs had lived in for 3+ months. Had the run of the place – sh*t everywhere. It was awful. I’ve no idea how they saw past it, but they did and more than doubled their money. Anyway, before we moved in Rentakill (I am pretty sure it was them, but it was 24 years ago!!) deep cleaned it twice, once before and once after the carpets came out. Honestly no problems with smell in the 7 years we lived there.

The place we bought 3 years ago has solar. Ours are owned outright and we got asked a number of Qs but it was ok. I did certainly get the impression that if they are rental ones, it does cause more issues, potentially (depending on the lender) requiring them to be removed prior to the sale completing.

maccruiskeen

Just use an enzyme based deodoriser – pet shops sell them.

The stuff the pet shop sells is just an expensive way of buying smaller bottles of what janitorial suppliers sell to care homes . But cheaper than….

whole house stripped, plastered, refitted, floored and decorated. Didn’t properly go till the plaster went on.

CheesybeanZ

Most of the dog smell will be on the furniture and curtains, once they go and a thourgh clean it’ll be fine .

Alphabet

Get a dog of your own?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘House hunting’ is closed to new replies.