Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • House alarm recomendations
  • cobrakai

We had some visitors the other night. they were caught on my neighbours cctv checking outbuildings etc. Like most of you, i’ve spent most of my time thinking about how to secure my bikes and not the actual house!

Here’s my requirements;

1. No hard wiring as we’ve just put new carpets in and decorated. I don’t mind changing the batteries every year or so.

2. Remote access via wifi with alerts if the alarm is triggered.

3. 4 PRI’s (One will be going in the shed which is appx 20m from where the router will be)

4. 2 door sensors

5. Key pad for arming/disarming

I’ve tried doing my own research in to this but there is so many companies with so many different options. I just wondered if i could cut through all the noise and get some straight answers.

Not worried about CCTV as that is hand.

DrJ

Bump.

Plus I am spoecially interested in Apple HomeKit, if anyone has any tips. Just moving into a house in the middle of nowhere so can’t rely on neighbours to watch out for evildoers.

dannybgoode

If you are out in the sticks what good is an alarm? The whole point is they attract attention of those around. Your CCTV should provide you with alerts etc so all an alarm is going to do is give you the same alerts and make a lot of noise in the middle of nowhere…

Ewan
    Free Member

Surely the point of an alarm is to persuade the criminal to rob next door rather than you. It’s like running from a bear, you don’t need to be fastest, just make sure you’re not slowest.

footflaps

Surely the point of an alarm is to persuade the criminal to rob next door rather than you.

So if you’re in the arse end of nowhere with no neighbours it’s completely pointless….

We’re in a terraced street, so all I have to do is make our house marginally harder to burgle than my neighbours. Which isn’t hard as some of them are pretty useless eg one neighbour only twigged after the nth camera had gone missing that someone had their keys and was regularly coming in and taking stuff. Changed the locks and hey presto the cameras didn’t keep vanishing…

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I went with https://ajax.systems/

Works great, they recommend pro install in the UK, but i did my own.

Comes with sim card backup, mine is set to automatically arm the garage at 10pm, has geofencing, everything is on an app and the install is really easy by scanning a qr code on the sensor.

For self install create an account below.

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=N&pcode=Y&match=all&q=ajax+kit&dispatch=products.search

review and loads of info here
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/ajax-smart-home-alarm-system-review-comments.2301659/

BoardinBob

Been very impressed with my Verisure system

ElShalimo

Have you just moved into a new neighbourhood, or was it the attempted break in at No. 27 that convinced you?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Verisure lives or dies by who installs it.

If you’re lucky, you’ll get a competent sales guy who won’t lie to you and do a good job on the install.

If it’s installed properly and they talk you through how to use it all etc, it’s decent.

If you live in the north west, I might even pop round to service it and have a brew 🙂

jamesoz

I’d not put a PIR in a shed personally. It’s asking for false alarms.

I’ve mentioned it before but Verisure and their ilk get a very poor rep in the trade.
    (I’m sure John’s installs are great🙂).

Some of it may be sour grapes, due to taking business of traditional security companies.

I’m not in the trade anymore, I got fed up with the kit getting worse in quality, seemed like a race to the bottom.
    I still see wired systems I or colleagues installed during the 90’s in use.

I can’t comment on modern wireless kit, but I used to refuse to touch it due to false alarms and pirs not waking up. I’m sure things have moved on a bit since then. Some of the new stuff sounds quite interesting.

I’d go for a local company of a decent size. Check quotes carefully for hidden ongoing costs.

stof41
    Free Member

Personally i’d install a Pyronix Enforcer system. I’ve been installing them for the last 4 years with very few problems. It comes ready to go with wifi built in, Batteries should last you 3 years easily, its got a really good range on the sensors so outbuildings shouldn’t be a problem.
    The only ongoing cost would be £35 after the first year for the app control and noifications.

johnw1984
    Free Member

@jamesoz I don’t do the installs fortunately!

I get to go in and unpick the mess, or actually finish their job while they get the commission for the sale hehe.

footflaps

@highpeakrider

Do you use the remote siren module with the Ajax system?

We have an unusual install sitiation, we have a workshop 50m from the house which we want to protect but I want a siren to go off inside our house to wake us up etc as if it’s being burgled it’s far enough away we probably wouldn’t notice the alarm on the building itself (it’s the other side of the house from our bedroom).

Wondering whether the remote siren would work inside our house….

highpeakrider
    Free Member

@footflaps

I have the Home Siren installed in the hall.
    https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/ajax-homesiren-ajax-system-colour-black/

Its usually included in the kits.

devbrix
    Free Member

I’ve fitted x2 Yale smart alarms which would suit your requirements. I’ve also got linked cameras and smoke detectors. Easy to install yourself as it’s all wireless, massive range for linking outbuilding sensors (garage is 35m away from the house and amazingly it works through x 3 very thick stone walls) and frankly it just works. Been running both systems now for 8 months and have been very reliable. Easy to arm and disarm on and get quick alerts to your mobile or use keypad or fob. Worth shopping around for the base kit and any extras as prices are pretty competitive and often discounted.

edward2000
    Free Member

Check your local SSAIB approved installers. Also I would consider Yale wireless.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘House alarm recomendations’ is closed to new replies.