Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hotels & Restaurants in Oxford or Wallingford – recommendations please
  • geoffj

I know its not exactly MTB central, but I'm guess some folk might have some inside information?

cxi
    Free Member

Maybe worth a look at the Lambert Arms in Watlington?

http://www.merchant-inns.com/pg/2/our+inns.html

I've stayed at the Talbot Inn in the same group near Woking a few times and it's always been very good.

boblo
    Free Member

Le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons…. especially if it's on ex's 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.nosebagoxford.co.uk/ – Lovely veggie place.

Avoid Brown's in Oxford, has become utterly awful.

I rather like Gee's at the moment. http://www.gees-restaurant.co.uk/

lunge

The Malmaison is pretty impressive in Oxford, it is built in an old prison and is very nice indeed.

TooTall
    Free Member

You mean there isn't a concierge service for P members? What sort of service is that?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The Mole Inn in Toot Baldon.
    The Fishes out in Botley.
    Malmaison does an amazing steak. The posh ham starter is expensive for a tiny portion but my god it tastes good.
    The Mason's Arms in South Leigh is where Raymond Blanc goes out to eat, no prices on the menu, but the food is outstanding.
    The Big Bang if you like sausage and mash and are on a budget.

Oh, and Gees… never eaten there after seeing the state of their kitchen.. but that was 12 years ago.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hey I work in Wallingford so have asked about and the consensus is The Old Post Office, or the Pheasant, bit poncey and not huge portions.
    For a great pub food the Red Lion in Brightwell cum Sotwell just out of Wallingford heading towards Didcot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TSY, food there was pretty good when I last went. Didn't look in the kitchens though!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The Crazy Bear at Stadhampton

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

CFH, long wanted to try it so maybe now I will. To be fair I'd of happily eaten off the floor in their after seeing Brown's kitchen!

boblo
    Free Member

RPRT, is that the Crazy Bear that has a Thai Restaurant downstairs?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

The Old Parsonage is owned by the same people that run Gees. I think it's better–a more intimate, warmer and quieter atmosphere and very very good food and wine. Chang Mai is a nice Thai place tucked away down one of the alleys off the High Street. Looks completely unlikely but the food's great.

If you're heading into east Oxford then my favourite by a long shot is Moya on St Clements. It's apparently the only Slovakian restaurant in the country with fantastic food and some dangerously good cocktails. Once you've eaten nip across the road into the Half Moon for a couple of pints of Guiness and a late night.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Yep.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Big Bang is a smashing little place.

jules.b
    Free Member

I'll second Le Manoir, also Le Petit Blanc in Oxford. Check out the King William at Hailey near Wallingford. Good food and fantastic views, especially from the garden.

sockpuppet

bangkok house is pretty tasty

TheGingerOne

Only hotel in Wallingford itself is the George Hotel, or a couple of miles away is Shillingford Bridge Hotel (in Shillingford) or The Springs in North Stoke (just south of Wallingford).

Otherwise there are the Four Pillars hotels up at Sandford Lock and another on the Abingdon Road, which are both on the south side of Oxford if you need good communication routes down to Wallingford.

Hope that helps.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Aziz on Cowley Road for an exceptionally fine curry.
    Used to regularly have lunch in the Nosebag, but has gone downhill badly over recent years imho.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hotels & Restaurants in Oxford or Wallingford – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.