Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hotel to stay at in/around Manchester with bikes on car
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’m planning to head up to the Lakes in a few weeks with the family and bikes – on the roof of the car. We were planning to stay at a hotel in/around Manchester on the way but struggling with the bikes on car bit – the hotels I’ve called say that they don’t have anywhere to store them overnight and I don’t want to leave them out as I suspect they’ll go missing. One did say we could take them up to the room but I suspect that four bikes in a family room is going to be a ball ache.

Any suggestions for bike friendly places to stay?

TIA

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t leave them on the car….

Put them in the room, go out to dinner or book a cheaper hotel with a room for the bikes

I’m out in Salford Quays, we have all flavours of chain hotels out here with parking outside but nothing locked in and away from somebody after your bike. Though it is much easier to get in and out of from the motorway, after that probably Warrington, Haydock Holiday Inn has a back door you can get the bikes up to the room from

spooky_b329

Premier Inn are bike friendly, you can take bikes in the rooms but it also says they can store them for you.

samuelr
    Free Member

Absolutely do NOT leave your bikes outside. They WILL be stolen.

Can you book another room in a hotel to keep the bikes in?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I”ve also stayed with premier inn and taken bikes into the room. Not ideal but safe.

funkrodent

I’m based in South Manchester. I’d echo what the others say about leaving them on the car. You’re welcome to store them with me for a night if you want?

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks all. Yeah definitely not going to leave bikes on the car. Will look at PI

crazy-legs

Where are you driving from? Just asking as by the time you’ve got into Manchester, found your hotel, parked, unloaded etc you could be another 40 miles north!

Anything left on a car – roofbox, bikes, even a bike rack – WILL be stolen!

Isn’t there any way you can do the journey in one go, swapping drivers? South Lakes from mine in SE Manchester is 90 minutes on a good run and I can do Penrith in 2hrs… If you absolutely have to stop, I’d suggest a motorway services with a Premier Inn, they advertise themselves as being very bike friendly. Avoid Manchester altogether.

TedC

Have had bikes in the room at multiple Premier Inns, also hotel at Stafford Services (M6 northbound) allowed use of a conference room to store bikes overnight, two other groups of guests also used it. Just make sure they are clean and not dropping oil/mud/etc, also take an old sheet/blanket to protect the walls, and locks if it’s a shared other room.

Currently sat in another PI with a bike.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Loving all the mancs telling him to not leave the bikes out in Manc.  I agree with them all. Assuming your departure point is south of knutsford then I agree that you might as well keep going and get to the lakes. The percentage difference in distance isn’t that big is it?

I’m struggling to think of anywhere in England that youvcouldnt get to the lakes almost as easy as overnighring in Manc.  Eskdale maybe.

alpin
    Free Member

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I live less than a mile from j23 on the m6 mate if you want to chuck them at mine for the night.

convert

I’m guessing there is a reason for the Manchester stopover rather than just fatigue. I’d be pressing on and getting there otherwise.

andrewh
    Free Member

Couldn’t you leave them in the car overnight? They should fit when there’s no people in it. Or is that still risky and just means a smashed window as well as nicked bikes?

duncancallum

I’m in bl6

If your stuck I can sell them on eBay I mean look after them

ebennett

In addition to the points above, also factor in that it can be a massive pain in the arse to get into/out of Manchester if the traffic gods conspire against you (which they frequently do). It’s taken me longer to get from the M62 to my house than it has to get from Birmingham to the M62 in the past! I’d second staying in a Premier Inn somewhere off the M6 if you aren’t planning on being in Manchester for anything other than a stopover.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hotel to stay at in/around Manchester with bikes on car’ is closed to new replies.