Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Hotel room meal concoctions
  • bruneep

and lots of rolly eyes 🙄 🙄 🙄 from the fire service when they turn up.

Had a guy in travel lodge cooking a meal on a meths stove, he couldn’t see what he was doing wrong.

doris5000

I once created a sausage and mash dinner using just the kettle

Heat the frankfurters by pouring the water out and replacing with boiling water. Instant mashed potato and then bisto gravy

Id argue that those two statements are not related in the slightest.[/quote]

😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bacon in the trouser press, eggs in the kettle, a mushroom on each light bulb, voila!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Alternatively you could heat beans individually using a cigarette lighter

Cougar

Microwave pasta pouches (Dolmio I think) is essentially cooked pasta that just need warming up. Empty the pouch into boiling water and leave for a couple of minutes, you’d be good to go. Could probably do the same with rice pouches.

benp1

Are you paying for the room yourself or getting it expensed? Wouldn’t dinner be included if it’s the latter?

If not, and I was in that room for a few days, then i’d have a stove

If it had to be cold, then it would have to include either or both of pork pies or scotch eggs, maybe a sausage roll or 2 on the side

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

So, if you order a deliveroo to your Premier Inn, do you have to go down to reception to collect it? or are they allowed in to go to your door?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve occasionally had pizza to the door, but usually it’s reception.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s expensed – I pay and then claim back with VAT reciepts.
    It’s going to be takeaway tonight from the Indian over the road, but generally I’m trying to be healthy(ish) as I’ve got a fair bit of excess weight to get rid of, so restaurant meals twice a week isn’t going to help!

The joys of trying to get hotels in the Midlands (nearish Birmingham Airport) within budget (£90/night) mean that I normally end up in a basic travelodge – tonights delight is Tamworth Central!
    So, luxury of iron or hairdryer, nevermind room service!

Never used Deliveroo before, I’ll have to have a look in to it. Do they give you a VAT reciept so I can claim it back? – same question for the likes of Just Eat type sites?

Other than that, I like the idea of ready cooked pasta in a tupperware. And I’m strangely drawn to the tin of hot dogs and replacing the water with boiling water even though I have to pretend I don’t know what’s in the hot dogs to be able to eat them 😯

pocpoc
    Free Member

Deliveroo failed me already:
    “Sorry, we don’t currently service B79 7PB. Please enter your email address and we’ll notify you once we do.” 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

takeaway tonight from the Indian over the road, but generally I’m trying to be healthy(ish)

Sorted then.

Tandoori chicken
    Veg bhaji/other veg dish
    Dhal

(not necessarily all in one meal!)

Lots of healthy options at most Indians. Doesn’t have to be a face stuffing fat fest.

And there are other services like Deliveroo.

deejayen
    Free Member

One of the portable induction hobs (from Lakeland, for example) might work for heating things up. You could use a small pressure cooker to make fresh vegetable/lentil/chicken soup.

I’ve heard that putting a latex glove over the fire alarm can prevent ‘false alarms’, but it might not be worth the risk if there’s a genuine risk of fire – and don’t forget to remove it before you vacate the room!

I’ve often used a Trangia stove with a gas conversion kit in the passenger footwell of my van to heat up stews etc. You could heat food outside or in your car, then pop it into a pre-warmed food flask to enjoy in your room. Similarly, if the place you’re working at has a microwave you could use that to heat up a meal before you leave work, and take it back to the Travelodge in a food flask.

db

I do this a lot.

Hot dogs (pack of 4 thin ones) fit straight in kettle (you have to give it a goo wash afterwards to get rid of the smell/fat). Pack some mustard in the car!

Boiled eggs in the kettle go well in a salad

I do wraps a lot (with some salad and cooked meat or cheese)

Plenty other stuff can be cooked in bags (e.g. oven roasting bags) in the kettle.

db (Premier Inn Resident most weeknights for the last 7 years)

wwaswas

I’ll tell you one thing this thread has taught me.

Never use the in room facilities at a hotel to make yourself a hot drink.

HansRey

I’ve heard too many stories of people peeing/pooing in hotel kettles to make me consider cooking in them.

Small microwave is a great idea.

Is there a corby trouser press? You could make a baguette toastie or cook bacon? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

jemima
    Free Member

This all sounds grim! Whenever I’m away for work it pretty much always eat out even if it is for weeks at times. I do agree that the ‘formality’ of this can become tiresome and one does need to be careful about what to eat. For those nights I couldn’t be bothered with a restaurant a grilled chicken tikka wrap with loads of salad from the takeaway was just perfect. Pretty healthy, quick and very tasty.
    Once when I finished very late I reverted to (posh) pot noodle and other cold stuff in the hotel room and it just made me sad…

I guess ‘back in the day’ folk working away would often stay at digs where evening meal was included – could see the appeal of that actually. Some decent home cooking.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hotel room meal concoctions’ is closed to new replies.