Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hot weather base layers?
  • MSP

So do they work?

I tend to run hot so don’t bother with a base layer other than on the very coldest days, but I see some claim to help regulate temperatures on hot days as well, seems like its probably bit of sales BS just wondered if anyone uses them in summer for this reason?

rocketman
    Free Member

base layers have to be tight-fitting so they can wick away sweat, disperse it and cool via evaporation.

More effective than it dripping onto the top tube imo

Merino most excellent although some of the techy synthetics (661 I’m looking at you) are, I think, better

Craft also do a mesh base layer that wicks/disperses/evaporates. It is feels proper cold on all but the hottest days.

m1kea
    Free Member

If you go abroad to pretty much any hot country, you’ll see most of the locals with a vest of some description under their top.

I use a selection of base layers all the time now, ranging from running vests through to short sleeve tops, depending upon the temp.

Most of the tech tops wick moisture away (to the outer layer) so you do tend to maintain a more even atmosphere all round.

For the price of a top, what’s not to loose trying it out?

Stoner
    Free Member

I wear long sleeve half zip merino base layer in all weathers. It may be on its own in summer, or under a gilet or shell as a wind breaker/waterproof in winter. I never wear a mid layer though.

Works for me.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve got a Craft white mesh sleeveless base layer I wear underneath my bib shorts, and then a normal short sleeved top which helps reduce chapped nipples. The rest of the family make ‘only gay in the village’ jokes when i walk round the house after a ride with the top layer off. Keeps me dry when i would otherwise be very sweaty, does a good job of transporting the moisture away from the skin.

MSP

Merrino is crap at handling sweat/moisture, its better than other types of wool, but is still a wool and traps a lot of moisture. I like them in dry winter conditions, but would never wear one again when its likely to get wet, and would be far too warm in summer.

I was thinking more of coolmax type thing specificity designed for hot weather use, something that wicks really well and maybe feels cold on contact, maybe something silk like?

Anyone got any suggestions.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Icebreaker do a 150g Merino or On One had some super duper 120g Merino on sale lately.
    I never wear a base layer when it’s hot as if cycling etc anyway you alreayd have some sort of sweat wicking top on and IMO a base layer creates another layer in the heat.

Stoner
    Free Member

Merrino is crap at handling sweat/moisture,

No it’s not.

One all.

headfirst
    Free Member

this is what I’ve got, only Small and Large in stock though. have a look round pbk, they’ve got a decent selection

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/clothing/mens/cycling-clothing/baselayers/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-sleeveless-base-layer-1.html

headfirst
    Free Member

No it’s not.

Yes it is.

Two-one.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just wear some old footy tops under your gear, they work a treat. I run and bike in them and they’re great. Have a look on Ebay and you can pick up ‘as new’ ones for pennies.

Especially since we did so well in the World Cup. 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

Just wear some old footy tops under your gear, they work a treat.

football tops make you look a bit racist though.

sweepy
    Free Member

No it’s not.

Yes it is.

Two-one.

No its not (2-2)
    It just does it differently

MSP

because merino is a hollow fibre it stays warmer than normal wool when damp, but it is no better at wicking sweat away and still traps quite a lot of dampness in its fibres, it is quite nice in the right conditions.
    It is not the miracle material it is hyped up to be.

molgrips
    Free Member

Merino doesn’t wick the best.

Best thing for proper hot weather imo is a loose shirt open down the front, perhaps with something very tight underneath.

For summer biking, something tight with a full length zip is best – really, that’s going to be a roadie style jersey.

grievoustim
    Free Member

The craft string vest style base layer is very good when it’s hot – stops me getting that “cold sweat” feeling when the sun goes in. I’m going to get another

sweepy
    Free Member

I dont want the sweat wicked away, I want it next to my skin, doing the job its supposed to do- using excess bodyheat to evaporate it. Merino does this without the clammy feel of other fabrics, and smells less.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I wear one of those under-armour rugby base layers all year round and it’s fine, seems to do the job.

avdave2

I’ve an under armour long sleeve base layer which is designed for hot weather which seems to work well. Skin tight and white it does look like Euro Gay Disco wear though. SPF of 30 as well. I only wear base layers when the weathers hot and in the winter just add another if required and a windproof or waterproof.

FuzzyWuzzy

I always use a base layer, craft mesh one (or other brand equivalent) when it’s really hot and heavier weight synthetic baselayers when it’s cooler. Used to use merino in the winter but got fed up with the slight itchiness (tried 4 different makes) and switched to craft thermal stuff – much better. Merino certainly doesn’t wick as well as modern synthetic stuff can, as has been said it just stays warm when damp and doesn’t smell.

scottalej
    Free Member
    m1kea
    Free Member

I’m quite partial to Asics products and have found their ‘Eikoku’ base layers to be good in a broad spectrum of temperatures.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“football tops make you look a bit racist though.”

Whats wrong with being racey?

SOAP
    Free Member

Canterbury are ace hot or cold versions. IMO

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I was thinking more of coolmax type thing specificity designed for hot weather use, something that wicks really well and maybe feels cold on contact, maybe something silk like?<

Nike do a camo long sleeve thing. I’ve got one and it does just that – keeps you cool. Try Underarmour / Canterbury / rugby gear in general they all offer hot and cold tops

crikey
    Free Member

Best really hot weather base layer is…

…a cotton t shirt.

For all the reasons that cotton makes a poor cool weather base layer.

bigjim

Best really hot weather base layer is…

…a cotton t shirt.

absolutely not if you are sweaty like me! soaks it all up and sits there not drying and festering, horrible.

crikey
    Free Member

I used cotton t shirts while road racing in 30 degree heat, its the best way of keeping cool that I’ve found. In typical UK temps, at STW style speeds, you’re better off with a synthetic string vest type thing. I agree that they have to be close fitting though, which people don’t seem to get.

rkk01
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a lycra SS cycling jersey??

nick1962
    Free Member

I use one of these
    http://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/base-layer/mens/tops/nike-pro-core-mens-long-sleeve-tight-mock-grey/
    way better than any coolmax or cycling shirts I have ,perhaps because it is so tight fitting but stretchy though it doesn’t feel restrictive at all maybe because I did get mine a couple of sizes up.I use it on it’s own in summer and will be investing in a short sleeve one soon.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If you are wearing proper cycling kit, you won’t need a warm weather baselayer.
    Bibshorts and a full length cycling jersey is all you need

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Helly Hansen Lifa vest for me, size down so it’s good and snug, works really well.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hot weather base layers?’ is closed to new replies.