Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hot waxing vs. coated chains vs. wet gravel
  • 13thfloormonk

Fool me once shiny gold YBN chain, shame on you. Fool me seven or more times… 🙄

I should have wondered the first time it shed an application of Putoline after 50km, so I switched to Fenwick’s Pro for a while but recently switched again to GLF wax.

However that’s the second or third ride where the chain has been noisy and dry by the 50km mark, and painfully noisy by 90km.

I know GLF lasts 200km easily on the Ultegra chain on my road bike, and although there’s a few puddles and water splashes on the gravel routes I wouldn’t think it was enough to wash a chainful of wax away…

Worth stripping my spare 105 chain and giving the GLF another chance?

P20

I found Plutoline didn’t hold up on the gravel bike and just went back to the relevant line for the conditions. Currently using Peatys, which seems good so far.

13thfloormonk

Yeah… I guess it’s a no-brainer really, I’ve still got some Morgan Blue which is equivalent to Finish Line green, have two big days coming up doubtless with lits of river crossings so don’t have time for experiments…

13thfloormonk

Hmm… I could purchase a pre-treated Ultegra chain but Zerofriction reckons that the Siltec coating reduces wax adherence.. Wonder if the 5-6 year old Ultegra on my road bike was pre Sil-tec.

SRAM Red? Are they coated in any way?

Hastily re-applying some Fenwicks as that’s all I’ve got left in the garage, where’s a trusty bottle of Finish Line green when you need it? 😂

MSP

Wax will get noisier than an oiled chain while still working better. Oil traps dirt and moisture in the chain which dampens the sound but is really just griding paste wearing the chain.

13thfloormonk

No this was definitely a wax-free chain 😂 Making some hellish noises by the end and shifting etc. completely deteriorated

Onzadog
    Free Member

I didn’t know hotwax didn’t stick to sil-tec. Got two XTR chains cleaned and waxed waiting for the gravel bike.

poolman
    Free Member

How long are you immersing in glf, I m giving it 30 mins min, also in recent wet weather weekly coating.

oceanskipper

I found GLF lasted less well than MSW in damp/wet conditions. In fact when using GLF the chain would get noisy mid ride in the wet (30-50 mile ride). MSW is better but needs redoing after a wet ride. I’m currently running a mixture of GLF and MSW in the same pot and it’s pretty good, especially when heated up on the high setting so that the MSW gets to 90C – sticks much better and lasts longer that way. GLF say not to get it that hot but MSW say it needs to get to 200f .

jkomo

I’m finding GLF comes off in the wet. Much nicer to handle than Putoline, super clean and no black gunk, I am considering Silca next!
    Would have stuck with Putoline but I overcooked it.

13thfloormonk

I didn’t know hotwax didn’t stick to sil-tec. Got two XTR chains cleaned and waxed waiting for the gravel bike.

Don’t quote me on that, it was buried somewhere in a Zerofriction document and they didn’t say ‘didn’t stick’, just ‘reduces adherence’ or words to that effect.

My winter road bike has a 105 chain which barely ever needs topped up with Putoline, and summer road bike is Ultegra with GLF and seems to last fine albeit never gets wet. I don’t know when Shimano chains went Sil-tec though

13thfloormonk

Interesting that others have found GLF to suffer. Need a new chain anyway so might buy a pre-treated MSW chain, if it performs any better I’ll maybe switch to MSW, if not Silca Synergetic.

13thfloormonk

Excellent first ride with the MSW treated Ultegra chain. Pouring with rain, deep puddles, mud, river crossings, but after 85km the chain was still smooth running and silent.

Will never know if it was the YBN chain or the GLF wax that was at fault but on this basis think I’ll swap over to MSW.

tjaard

What brand is GLF wax?
    I have used both MSW and Silca and had decent results, even in wet rides. Haven’t noticed a difference.

I must say, I only used Silca Super Secret drip on to top it off, even with the MSW wax.

13thfloormonk

GLF is its own brand, one of the contributors on this forum makes it. Would be curious to know the difference in composition between the different brands.

I have a wee bottle of Super Secret for top ups, not sure if it’s any good mid-ride though?

mrauer

I use Rex Black Diamond hot wax on Sil-Tec chains and I have not noticed any big adherence issues. They also don’t get surface rust as easily as non-surface treated cheaper chains if there is some water on the chain after riding.

All in all I have been very satisfied with Rex – chains last much longer, and no more black drivetrain gunk to clean. I will never go back to liquid lubes.

tjaard

aha, thanks for the info.
    I’m in the US, so probably explains why I hadn’t heard of them. MSW is in my state (Minnesota), Silca is hard to miss, and my shop just started stocking Rex, so those are the ones I knew of.

No, don’t do mid ride top ups with drip on wax like Super Secret. That’s what Silca says, and it makes sense to me. It’s water based, so doesn’t dry very fast. Silva says dry overnight or longer. I assume the same for other water based drip ons.

13thfloormonk

Hmm… Rewaxed after the wet ride and have done 125km since over two virtually dry rides, and the chain is getting very noisy again!

I still can’t get my head around the chain noise issue, I can grasp that it might not be indicative of an unlubricated chain as the wax is still within the rollers, but it sounds dreadful and puts me off using certain gears.

Am not currently convinced that a waxed chain would last a long/mixed conditions ride the way, e.g. Fenwick’s Professional would.

packs

Did you do a full hot wax immersion? (or just drip?)
    If the chain gets really wet then you ideally need to rinse with hot water and fully immerse in melted wax to flush out any crap that may have got in. Dunk for 15mins and swish around vigorously several times.

I get around 300km off road (gravel/MTB) on a chain (dura ace/XTR) noise free with Silca hot wax. I’ll never go back.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, followed MSW instructions to the letter with an Ultegra chain that had been cleaned and had an initial application applied by the MSW UK distributor.

BUT when I was refitting the chain it occurred to me I might have fitted chain the wrong way round last time ? (Shimano are uni-directional).

Riding again tomorrow eve with a fresh application and chain fitted correctly, will see how it goes ?

crossed

I’ve found the same as others here. I was using GLF but it just seems to wash off in the wet weather. I’m back to using the little bit of Smoove wax that I’ve got. After that I’ll probably be going back to Squirt.

The GLF seemed like a lot of hassle for very little benefit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was out at the weekend on a Silca waxed KMC 11 speed chain. Sounded a bit “empty” towards the end of the ride so afterwards, I took it off, gave it a rinse and dried with the wife Dyson refuser! Anyway, the amount of wax that then came out of the chain made me think that the wax is in there, doing its thing, a lot longer than I think.

scaredypants

…Don’t quote me on that, it was buried somewhere in a Zerofriction document

I found a ZFC page once that said they think SRAM chains don’t work well – might you have meant that ??

(I’m a putoline lad, so can’t comment on yer proper waxes)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.