Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hot Water issues – Any ideas why…
  • TheGingerOne

Hi,

So, for some reason the tap in our kitchen no longer gives us hot water. Every other tap in the house now does (after boiler repairs).

If I take off the end of the tap, the boiler still does not kick in, so I know it is not the end of the tap reducing the flow rate and causing it.

If I disconnect the tap and run straight from the connection into a bucket, then it does appear to give us hot water – the boiler engineer did this, I have not verified myself again.

I can’t see anywhere else within the tap except the lever where there could be a constriction. The tap is less than 2 years old and we have what I would call slightly hard water. South Downs level of hardness rather than Thames Valley level of hardness.

The flexible hose under the sink is as tight as it will go in a bend, could this be causing a reduction in flow which is not noticeable, but enough for the boiler?

Is it in reality likely to still be a fault with the boiler rather than the tap? (Worcester Condensing boiler about 10 – 13 years old)

Anyone have any other ideas I could look at, not there there is much left as far as I can tell!?

Greatly appreciated.

huckersneck
    Free Member

If the boiler supplies hot elsewhere then the issue is not specific to it.

If hot water comes out of the pipe supplying this tap after disconnecting then the issue is after this disconnection point, assuming that the flow and temperature after disconnection is as other taps (do a times fill test to a bucket to measure?).

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it a mixer tap?

Del

mixer? sounds like the feed to the hot is blocked inside the tap.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like a dodgy tap. Has the flexi to the tap got an isolator on it? If so I’d unscrew the flexi, pop it in a bucket and slowly open the isolator and see if you get hot with a smallish flow. That should eliminate everything other than the tap. if it is the tap then either replace or open it up and have a look. Maybe just gummed up

TheGingerOne

Thanks for the replies people.

Yes, it is a mixer tap and your suggestion nickjb is a good one. I will try that and see what happens to help narrow it down further.

johndoh
    Free Member

Quite clearly a fault with the tap. Either dismantle (if you can) and clean up or replace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hot Water issues – Any ideas why…’ is closed to new replies.